Fails to see DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by drybones, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drybones

drybones Registered Member

Just downloaded the Trial version of True Image 9.0.

In attempting to make a backup of of my entire NTSF Windows drive the program refused to see the DVD writer and only saw it as a CD writer.

Now what?

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying.
    A possible purchaser, as my old Drive Image 2002 doesn't like WinXP Media.

drybones

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Don't worry about the name. If you have a DVD writer, TrueImage will write to it even though the name of the drive is CD-RW.

However, note that TrueImage does not have drivers for specific DVD drives and requires that the DVD disk be preformatted for packet writing with Drag-to-Disc (Roxio) or InCD (Nero) or DLA (Sonic), etc. Only DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks can be formatted for packet writing with these utilities with the exception that Roxio can format DVD+R disks also.

CD's must not be preformatted.

As former PQDI 2002 user myself (hated later versions), I appreciate the capabilities of TrueImage, especially the USB and network connections.

3. drybones

Thanks for the heads up <grin>
    Now then, what is "Only DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks can be formatted for packet writing with these utilities" ?

These 77 year old drybones have heard a "new one".

Please advise on how to do this packet formatting.

Many Thanks,
    drybones

4. drybones

No Help for the uninitated?

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Drybones, trying to save your Image directly to dvd media is probably the hardest and most problematic way to save images created by TI. Save your sanity and use an external usb drive. And create the bootable TI Rescue cd and use it to do all of your Backup Images and Restores.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi drybones,

First off, you need to advise what UDF packet writing software you're using, if any. e.g. Ahead InCD (part of the Nero Burning ROM package), Roxio Drag-to-Disk, Sonic DLA, etc.

Regards

7. drybones

Hi right back, Menorcaman,

Have InCD but not Roxio. Also have Nero (7.0 I think) anyway latest out and just paid for yesterday.

I could see no way to utilize any of them <sigh>.
    That is why I am here. Too old to keep up with all this stuff. Do try, but, old brain does not absorb as it did even 5 years ago. Hence,"drybones" <grin>
    thanks for replying,
    drybones

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi drybones,

Make sure that InCD is running in the background (if installed properly it should start automatically when booting into Windows). Open Windows Explorer, "right click" on your CD/DVD recorder and select "InCD Format". See <this reply for details>.

However, before you actually format a DVD RW, please read this <previous reply> on how to set up the correct UDF file system, along with this <other reply> for more detailed information on burning TI images to DVD.

Hope the above helps :).

Regards

Last edited: May 4, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.