NOD32 and Diskeeper Conflict

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I've been using Diskeeper for a couple of months, and NOD32 for a couple of years. I've found that when Diskeeper starts doing it's automated thing, I occassionally get the following error message, and my PC reboots.

"Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module imon.dll, version 2.50.25.0, fault address 0x0000b1eb.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Normally the problem happens when I'm away, but today it happened while I was at my PC. The screen came up that asks me to report the problem to Microsoft. When I did, here is what MS told me.

"Error caused by NOD32 Antivirus System: no specific solution available
    Thank you for submitting an error report.
    Problem description
    An analyst at Microsoft has investigated this problem and determined that an unknown error occurred in NOD32 Antivirus System. This software was created by Eset.
    Recommendation
    Microsoft has researched this problem with Eset, and they do not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported. Below is a recommendation to take that may help prevent the problem from recurring.
    • Contact Eset for support or product updates.
    Additional information
    If this problem continues to occur with the latest product updates for NOD32 Antivirus System, we recommend you obtain assistance and troubleshooting information directly from Eset."

So it appears the problem is not solely with Diskeeper. What do you folks at Eset have to say about this?

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Are you using the latest version of Diskeeper? They are using TCP/HTTP for some internal communications in the program. Not exactly sure why, which would be why Imon would be checking stuff and probably causing some timing issues. The latest DK also had issues with a few firewalls for the same reason. A better question would be to ask Exec Software why they need to use tcp/http traffic to defragment a hard drive.

a note from a review of DK 10;

You may also be notified that Diskeeper is trying to access the Internet. It is important to note that Diskeeper does not access the Internet (except when you specifically use the Check for Updates feature), but it does use Windows mechanisms that may trigger these alerts from your firewall. Again, these messages are expected and you can safely allow the events.

The rest of the review is found here; http://techgage.com/review.php?id=4182

On a side note, PerfectDisk and O&O Defrag don't have this problem as they use the defrag API provided with Windows, which was designed/modified for MS by Exec Software by the way.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, flyrfan. :)

I am using the latest version of DK. I see within IMON's setup that Eset has allowe for higher compatability settings for specific programs. I wonder if they could add DK to this list, and if this would help?

4. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

You can change the compatability setting by clicking on it.

5. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

If that does not work, one can also use the IMON module setup to exclude the file. There is an "edit" button on the miscellaneous tab just below the "repair now" button. The message displayed would imply this would solve that type of problem.

6. Dazed_and_Confused

I see that now. I will add the application and see what happens. Thanks!:)

7. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

I hope no news means good news.

8. Dazed_and_Confused

Sorry, Firepost. Been kinda busy. It appears that has fixed the problem. Thanks for all your help! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.