False positives or failure of other scanners ???

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by tristantzara, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tristantzara

tristantzara Registered Member

Hello everybody,

I recently ran some spyware scans with the Acronis Scanner and to my amazement it found 70+ spyware/malware threats. I was shocked because i'm also using other scanners regularly (ewido, a-2, ad-aware, spybot, spysweeper) which didn't list a single item. I know that there are some false positives in there ,e.g. paltalk -> iun6002.exe which is just the uninstaller for firetune and let's say stuff i don't consider spyware, e.g. the limewire, hidownload listings and msn sniffer with the WM Recorder, but what about the rest? Did the other scanners just miss them? That would be a real concern and reason to post in some of the other forums. what do you guys say? thanks a lot...

best regards,

tt

Attached Files:

2. tristantzara

picture 2

Attached Files:

3. tristantzara

last one

Attached Files:

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tristantzara,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

Please be aware that all the software you have mentioned can be found in our Malicious Software Database, so we do not think that they are false positive. Most likely your other scanners just missed these malware out.

If you would like us to investigate the issue more thoroughly then please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

BTW, WM Recorder 10 doesn't sniff for MSN conversations. So, it shouldn't be detected as such.

6. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

I know Paltalk-in screenshot-is FP. I have the same FP. I've sent that file to Kaspersky Lab. and they said file is clear.

7. tristantzara

Hey everybody, thanks for the answers.

Well, i unchecked some of the items, including the WMPlayer one. The rest was removed and didn't show up in subsequent scans. However, i'm still wondering wether these were real threats because of the other scanners' clear scans. Before removing i also checked with another scanner i hadn't been using before, SUPERAntispyware, and it also did not find anything. Very strange. For instance, i never had Kazaa installed, neither WarezP2P, which show up. However, problem seems to be solved. Next time i get results other scanners don't show, i'll contact Acronis and verify that they are real and no fp's. But certainly i'm not planning on purchasing Ewido or others someday soon...

Best regards,

tt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.