Can you store image to Dual Layer DVD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by the_Wop, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_Wop

the_Wop Registered Member

I am just wanting to know if you can copy your imaged HD to a dual layer DVD and use it later if an emergency happens. I know you would have to have a dual layer drive to read the file, but if you did would the image restore from the media? This would be done (image, .tib file) with Home v9.0.3567.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I doubt you will be able to restore directly from the media but why not try it. If TI sees the dual layer drive, it should. I feel that you will have to put the Image backup file back on to the hard drive. But let us know if you do try it, if you have any success.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello the_Wop,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you can use a dual layer DVD to create and restore an image.

Please be aware that the current version of Acronis True Image doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. Please note that that UDF version should be 2.1 or lower.

You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article.

Please also note that the ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds/versions of a particular software, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

There is also a two-step method of writing to DVDs. Acronis True Image 9.0 Home can create a backup as a single file on the hard disk itself, and then you can copy this file to the DVD disc using any third-party DVD-writing software. We would recommend you to set the archive splitting size manually if you are planning to transfer an image archive to DVD discs. The archive size should be set at 2 GB to avoid possible discrepancies when being restored later. This proviso relates to most of the modern DVD-writing software.
    Please note also that you should finalize your DVD in order to be able to restore the image in rescue mode.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.