DeepFreeze- freezed so hard!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by aigle, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have installed trial of DeepFreeze today on XP Home SP2( toshiba satellite M 70), as I installed, it rebooted the system immediately without giving choice, after reboot, there was one option Do you want to set up password. Still I was watching it while the dialog box disappeared( may be I accidentally clicked some portion of it- not sure). After that, I was able to see the systray Icon of DeepFreeze but clicking it gives no menu, no options. Also there is no entry for DeepFreeze in START >> PROGRAMMES and in windows Add/ Remove folder. However there is a folder on programme files. Now I am not able to use it and also I can't uninstall it( no option). I tried to reinstall the programme but it said" You need to stop DeepFreeze first before installing/ uninstalling the programme" I tried all options in Safe Mode also, but no success. I don't know how can I manage it now.

Attached Files:

2. dog [away]

dog [away] Guest

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Dear aigle,

Please download and read the user guide:

http://www.faronics.com/doc/DF5Std_Manual.pdf

DF is uninstalled by first rebooting into Thawed mode. Then you run the Installation program, which brings up the option to uninstall.

For security reasons, you cannot click on the DF icon in the SysTray; DF does not appear in Add/Remove; and the files cannot be accessed in C:\Programs.

I'm sure that you are aware that you need at least two partitions on your computer in order to use Deep Freeze, unless you save all of your files to some external media.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Actually I thought it is like ShadowUser. I will try it and then if there is some problem, will come back. So you mean, now my system in in freezed mode?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Aigle

I have to ask you this given many of your posts. Do you read the documentation and learn a bit about these programs before you just install them. I may be wrong, but my hunch is you don't. I would strongly suggest this as it will first answer many questions, but secondly help keep you out of trouble.

Pete

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To be true, i did not read. Sometimes i read but not indeatil and usually i don,t get major problems9 may be the reason the softs I used in the past were sinple ones) but I understand it is not good practice.Infaci I used SU in this way with out having any trouble, and also in the past Rollback Rx and so many other programmes.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Tell Peter the manual was frozen too. RTM ... RTFM ... RTFMAO.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I can use it now very well, only problem was that I did not read the manual, as I used trial of shadow User and BufferZone before and they were rather self explanatory, so I thought I can use DF in the same way.

So DF is working as expected. Thanks to all.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Let us know, which one you like the most : ShadowUser or DeepFreeze ?

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ok, I wil try it for some time and then I can comment.

11. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Errrr Aigle.All those security and startup apps running and starting at the same time!!!o_O

All I run is ZAP at startup.My browser being FF and that kicks in through Sandboxie.

Have deliberately gone to browser compromising sites and Sandboxie stops any and all attacks after emptying the sandbox.

Sure I have an AV-Etrust vet and Ewido as on demand but either you are paranoid or going way overboard with security.

But we are all different but my ghost clones and images give me the confidence to run at my current setup.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think I have to edit my sig.

I am using Avast and Kerio mainly at the moment. PG free is there but is mostly disabled. Winpatrol free and MSAS are disabled from autostart but I have used them in autostart mode as well. I have many appliances installed but mostly on demand. Sandboxie is used rarely as well( on demand).

After I buy Rollback Rx, I intend to use only Avast with windows firewal. I do safe surfing mainly.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will write a bit about my personal experience with SU and DF.

SU

Pros--

It definitely has more choices.
    1- Reboot with shadow mode continued and keep the changes made during shadowmode temporarily
    2- Reboot with normal mode and keep all changes permanantly
    3- So you can install and try some software that require reboot on installation( although some still might not work).

Cons--

1-You can,t use any wallpaprer software, like I am using webshots that will be disabled.
    2- Just my subjective feeling that system speed is slightly decraesed in Shadow mode.
    3- Sometimes the wallpaper flickers for a split second in Shadow mode.
    4- High price( more than twice as compared to DF).

DF

Pos--
    1- Original wallpaper themes not dsiabled.
    2- I did not notice ant decrease in system speed( but not sure as I used it for a very short time, other can tell about this better.)

Cons-

Lacks many options like SU ( see pros 1,2 and 3 for SU above). But it might make it easier to use for some, esp if staff at public PC/ libraray has very little capability to use the software.

And finally with SU you can schedule regular reboots but DF has some different option that you can fix about the next reboots whether thay should be freezed or in thawed mode. So it,s a matter of preference, but I wil like the option of scheduled reboots more if u are using it on public PC.

On the whole if I have to choose between the two, I will choose SU( if I don,t consider the cost) but considering cost, I will go for DF. Please correct me if any of above conclusions are wrong( of course i have used them for a limited time without going in details). But personally I have just purchased RollbackRx( not yet installed of course, I think it can,t be used with SU or DF and not needed as wel in that case). It is definitely a better choice than SU and DF, I really like it.

BTW, I have got SU free and it is almost same as DF and is free so I don,t need to buy DF at the moment. Also it is not installed currently on my system.

Edit: Still to mention Sandboxie free one, nice as well and no conflicts with SU, DF or Rollback according to my experience.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  14. charincol

charincol Registered Member

Aigle,

Just so others who may be wondering why nothing happened for you upon clicking the Systray icon or may have come to this thread hoping to find the same answer, the SHIFT key must be pressed while clicking the icon. Just to answer the original post.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, thanks, actually as I told you I did not read the online manual and never expected a systrsy icon not to respond. It was a bit tricky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.