Problem with long and short filenames

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Mainframe1, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainframe1

Mainframe1 Registered Member

I hope this is the correct place to post problems/bugs.

There is a problem with filenames and directory paths being converted to their short forms.
    When a filename (i.e. "bestcrypt.exe") is processed, depending on where/how it is called, the name registered by AppDepfend is either "bestcrypt.exe" (long name) or "bestcr~1.exe" (short name) for example. This results in two entries in the permissions table each possibly with different permissions.
    The same problem occurs when the folder (full file path) is stored as a short or long name (i.e. "bcresident.exe" in folder "c:\program files\jetico\bestcrypt\" (long name) or "bcresident.exe" in folder "c:\progra~1\jetico\bestcr~1\" (short name).
    This above can result in up to 4 entries in the permissions table for the same EXE.
    I believe the problem mostly arises when one process starts another process and in many cases the called process will have a shortened full path and shortened full name, but it can be a mixture of the two.

P.S. AppDefend and RegDefend are fantastic products! I was starting to wonder when someone would created such software when all other security "suites" seem to fail in defense against "unknown" security threats.

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Hi Mainframe1,

While I have not seen the long/short file name problem, I did report to Jason in the first few days of AppDefend's existence about the long/short path name situation. Since this is the second beta of AD/GSS it is still rough in some places, but it is still an amazingly functional security suite.

3. Mainframe1

Mainframe1 Registered Member

Hi Disciple,

I think both AppDefend and RegDefend are excellent products and I would prefer to use such dedicated security products over relying on just a firewall, say, so protect outgoing information.

The reason for the post in this forum is only to improve AppDefend, especially it's stability. Personally I think bugs and crash related problems should be addressed before any "beautifying", so I posted this problem.

4. Disciple

You will not find many here that will argue against this.

Posting problems/bugs here is a good place to see if others are seeing/having similar problems. Also, since Jason monitors these boards he is able to get a feel for what us the user is experiencing. One thing I did not mention earlier, is for you to email Jason at Ghost Security about the long/short filename problem. It may have already been reported, but I have not seen it mentioned here.

I agree and fortunately so does Jason. It has been almost 3 months since the second beta was released, which fixed the most critical operating issues. The GUI has not changed much since the first release, and like you it should not be "beautified" until the program is working as intended.

5. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i think that you should send an email to ghost security about this issue since it seems like jason "never" comes to this forum..

i am looking forward to a "released" version of appdefend, however, i am not expecting to see that anytime soon.. i am waiting on a "released" version before trying it..

the whole situation with ghost security suite and appdefend is confusing, to me.. i see that three is a download for appdefend.. is that "ghost security suite"? ("uhg!")

i don't understand why jason "never" comes to the ghost security forums, but it is discouraging, to me..

6. Disciple

redwolf that is a bit misleading. A quick count shows Jason has made 25 posts to the GS boards this year. While most came in the first 6-7 weeks, I would like to think he is busy working on the next GSS beta.

7. f3x

f3x Registered Member

As disciple pointed out this has already been reported to Jason who is working on it. It is important to know that at the kernel level it's quite not so easy to swicth from short to long filename but we already had a positive answear that it is going to be fixed.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=109646

Jason:

8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Yes this issue is 100% resolved in the next beta from all the testing done thus far.

9. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Cool! :) :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.