differential back up Q's

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bulgy, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulgy

bulgy Registered Member

Hi, I started using ATI build 2323 about a week ago, and I have a question. I have it set up to do differential back ups every day. The problem is that they come up as roughly 650MB each and I only have limited storage capacity. Is there a way to have ATI to automaticly delete backups that are say 2 weeks or older. Thanks in advance

2. stevech

stevech Registered Member

Mine does a daily differential so it keeps at most 7 files, plus I have a weekly full backup. So there are never more than 8 files.

My daily's are about 60MB and the weekly is about 6GB. The daily's are small because this is a home theater PC and about the only things that change are the electronic TV guide and the recorded show database. I don't backup the drives with the TV shows - too big (300GB).

By the way, this is done on a WiFi link and it's reliable.

3. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

You can't have TI automatically delete backups over a certain age, but you should be able to set up some schedules that have much the same effect. The exact method you use will depend on the amount of space you have available, but you could do something like the following:

Week 1
    Set up a weekly schedule to run every two weeks to take a full backup on day 1 named something like "1st&3rdweek.tib"
    Set up a weekly schedule to run every two weeks to take a differential backup on each of the other days of the week based on "1st&3rdweek.tib"

Wait until week 2 and do similar schedules, but named or based on "2nd&4thweek.tib"

Unless I've suffered a mental aberration, that should have the effect of giving you two sets of backups, each of which is overwritten every second week by a new set of the same name. From a space point of view, in a given 2 week period, the example scenario gives you 2 full backups and 12 differentials.:cool:

P.S. You should also download and install the latest build 2337.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.