ewido keeps finding the same problems!

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by ratchet, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I've removed the 17 problems (never quarantined them) several times now yet every time I scan it finds them, tracking cookies mostly. This is a commercial program, as such I would expect it not to function like that. Am I doing something wrong? anti-malware 3.5 version #1730 Thank You!

2. SolHaven

SolHaven Registered Member

Re: ewidow keeps finding the same problems!

i tend to find the same thing i just assume its from a site you casually go on, like nexopia for example i think for me gives me a few tracking cookies

3. ratchet

I thought that also, however, I tested that theory by running two consecutive scans but it still found the same 17 problems after I thought I had just removed them. I did email support so I'll see what they have to say.

4. SolHaven

be sure to let me know...lol doesnt really cause a problem just find it interesting why it keeps detecting it

5. gunner

gunner Registered Member

that is most interesting. Doing another scan immediately after a prior scan, without hitting the internet, you would not expect to rediscover cookies that were tagged on the previous scan. Be curious what you hear back on this -

6. SolHaven

quite...but as of right now i cant even run ewido so *takes own life*

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Disable System Restore > scan > clean > reboot > enable System Restore. Seems like a Windows Issue rather then an ewido issue.

regards,

paul

8. ratchet

Thank you for the reply Paul, however, that didn't work. I disabled restore, scanned, cleaned, rebooted and scanned again and it found 12 of 13 problems I removed.

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Would you mind telling which apps are running on your system, and post a screen shot from what you do experience?

regards,

paul

10. ratchet

Paul, I have ZoneAlarm Pro, NOD32, Webroot Spy Sweeper and PopTray. Windows XP Home. Ran ewido twice with Restore disabled same result! Also keep in mind that FF is enabled to only keep cookies until i close FF. Also, I clean cookies numerous times per day with CCleaner. There does seem to be some hope though because I've gone from 17 to 13 to 12!

http://xs69.xs.to/pics/06082/ScreenShot002.png

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What happens if you do quarantine them ?

12. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

unless you block third-party cookies, the cookies will all come back within thirty minutes of being on the internet..

to block third-party cookies in IE, go to tools/options/privacy (in IE), and adjust the cookie settings (to block third-party cookies)..

(if you use a different browser, then adjust the cookie settings for it, as necessary)

13. ratchet

But that is the point, two consecutive scans (no internet in between) and it finds the same problems even though it says they are cleaned. I would rather it say it can't remove these items.

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hey ratchet

I'm with ya man.Had this problem for 2 weeks now.The same 6 tracking cookies time and time again.Scan, delete, re-scan they're there again.Kind of frustrating.I even followed their path and deleted them myself, then scanned and there back again!.None of my other programs are finding these.

15. steveke

steveke Registered Member

Ratchet:

I recently read an article on "tacoda". This may or may not help your problem.

Tacoda is marketing a way to avoid cookie deletion by managing the sum of the various first party cookies rather than laying its own cookies. It piggybacks information on these cookies. This is about buying habits and targeted advertising.

My understanding was that if you returned to a site Tacoda could re-adhere past tracking and other information to the new cookie.

But seeing your post, I am wondering if other cookies that are not being deleted are re-creating these cookies.

This article suggests that Tacoda may actually create cookies(in the NY Times denial that it is being done on their website-they indicate that Tacoda cookies "are only set in sites that participate in our advertiser network")-it also contains info that Tacoda does have an opt out.

http://www.readablog.com/feed14928.aspx?hi=spyware

Hope this helps.

16. ratchet

Thank you, I'll check it out!

17. ratchet

Interesting read. Did you catch the part that you can stop the tacoda cookies by accepting 3rd party cookies? What a croc!

18. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Could someone explain how to disable quarantining.Thanks.

19. steveke

Tobacco-I have had clean scans for a while-but if my memory is correct, in the lower left corner of the screen that asks what to do there is a button, that is checked by default, that instructs Ewido to save an encrypted backup-I believe I unchecked this for some cookies found and there was no quarantine backup-also I believe the screen then always came up without the check mark,until I reset it back.

Ratchet-It seemed to me that everything they said was doublespeak like that-I did not catch that-is that their "optout". I also liked how they said they were not attaching Tacoda cookies at the NY Times website-that apparently is the essence of their product-it doesn't attach its own cookies(which could be deleted) but somehow rides on the 1st party cookie-

What always gets me about these matters-is why they do not advise up front of what is being done-it is always that some anti-spyware type finds out and then the ad companies and their buddies all complain that its not spyware and the anti-spyware people are overreacting. Even assuming the overreaction is true, if the sites had been upfront there would have been no problem.

After I saw your post I entered Tacoda in my winpatrol block list.

20. ratchet

How to remove the Tacoda cookies in

Firefox. First, thank you Elwood, Paul Wilders, Steveke and all. Start>Run> %AppData%>Firefox (folder)>Profile. I opened it and there were nine (numbered) cookie files. When I opened about four of them (all Tacoda!) it brought up an ewido textbox "alarm" with a drop down field containing the options to clean and block (which I did), or block or quarantine. Interesting feature we probably didn't even know we had! I have no idea what will happen with them blocked since they "ride" on other cookies (see Steveke's post in my original post http://www.readablog.com/feed14928.aspx?hi=spyware), however, a full scan now comes up clean!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  21. ratchet

Re: How to remove the Tacoda cookies in

Update to this thread! I've just been surfing my regular sites on and off since my original post and just completed an ewido scan. It found a great big zero! So if you use the method described above and select Clean and Block, you should be good to go on the Firefox Tacoda cookie issue.

22. steveke

Re: How to remove the Tacoda cookies in

Ratchet

Good to hear. I was wondering if going back to the sites would redo it.

It has been quite a while since I had a finding on a scan-but I am wondering if the "Clean and Block" might be available as an option for the results of a scan.

23. ratchet

It wasn't when I originally posted the problem. Unless I'm blind, the only two options were clean or quarantine. That is why I was amazed when the text box (with those new options) materialized while I'm inside the guts (so to speak) of Firefox.

24. steveke

No, I am sure you are correct about the options-it has been a while since I've seen that-and it would make sense to have clean and block where something has opened.

Your route appears to be the only way as I am guessing that the block part is important for Tacoda.

25. goodgameral

goodgameral Registered Member

I'm not sure about you, but I had known about the Clean and BLock feature...
    I installed Ewido on my cousin's craptel and it popped up like 80 times with that stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.