GSS doesn't 'remember' updates...

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by jwcca, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Jason, There's a thread in the RD forum, but it started as a different issue so I decided to start a new thread here.

When I check for Updates I get a popup advising that "There are new updates to download......".
    I download them, closed GSS, reopened GSS, checked againg and got the same popup.
    So, I thought that maybe it took a reboot, did that, then checked and got the same message.
    I'm not getting any warnings that something's blocking anything, either from OA or PG.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Jim,

I took a look at how GSS is updating in my W2K virtual machine and found that GSS is not maintaining version values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ghost Security\GhostSecuritySuite\versions as it does in XP. In fact, there are no version values for GSS to query. In contrast, you can see the values in XP's registry here...https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=644314&postcount=5. Using Regmon, you can see GSS query version values in XP, but not in W2K. Without those values, GSS will always "see" that an update is available.

Nick

Attached Files:

3. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Thanks Nick,

now that leaves it up to Jason.
    One acceptable *temporary* solution would be to post a new update notice on the forum for W2K users so that could be checked first, then we'd know when we really should update.

Jim

4. Gary Graham

Gary Graham Registered Member

I was seeing updates when it shouldn't be, but upon watching closely, I could see PG was popping a dialog to confirm something. It popped up, and the program shut down before I could read it. I did it again, and had the mouse ready to confirm it. I did so, and a moment after PG shut down, it said I needed to reboot for the changes to take effect. I did so and it does not see any more updates as being available.

Gary

5. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Are you using W2K-SP4?

Jim

6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I think this bug is due to the 64bit compatible code added to the updater. It uses new flags which Windows 2000 must not support, the next build should correct this.

7. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Thanks Jason, much appreciated, Jim

8. Gary Graham

Gary Graham Registered Member

I am running XP sp2 and all updates on an AMD Athlon (32)
    AppDefender says it is up to date.
    No problem since I caught that warning.

Gary

9. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I am running XP SP2 and am having this same problem with it wanting to update every time. The GSS versions reg key is empty.

It only seemed to start happening after I updated, restarted GSS as advised, and then updated again immediately, although I haven't done any testing to confirm that this might cause it.

All I can say is theproblem is not limited to Win 2000.

10. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Jason, just wondering when the next update / build will be ready.
    I tried adding the registry keys in versions but they aren't updated even when there.
    I do have a key in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ghost Security\GhostSecuritySuite LastUpdate value 14 January 2006.

which displays on the GUI, but I still don't know if I should try another update tomorrow.

Just curious, no pressure,

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.