I cant update windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Dec 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Re: Microsoft security updates?

Help--I cant update windows--every time I try a message comes up inexplore.exe is being blocked and then no page will display.I can get to the site using the aol browser but it still wont update just sits there saying it is but doing nothing.What can I do--also cant update with firefoxo_O

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hi Rita,

You can't get Windows updates with Firefox from the Windows update site. That site requires Internet Explorer.
    What program gives you the blocked message?

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

it was ewido--I just blocked the guard and tried it again and I got the update.Then I reactivated the guard when I'd finished.I like the guard because it also blocks" about blank" which is so aggravating.Thanks Ron

4. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

That's odd. Ewido doesn't block my windows from updating. But then I'm only on the 14-day free trial. There might be a difference there.

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I'm so computer illeterate it's probaly some setting I have for ewido but I havent a clue what it is lol.At first I thought it was IE but I guess not since it worked when I disabled the ewido guard.

6. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

It may be. With ewido free, I don't seem to have access to any settings screen. The guard is either on or off. I'm guessing it's different with the paid version.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Several off topic posts removed.

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Attached Files:

• 061.GIF
      061.GIF
      File size:
      33.9 KB
      Views:
  9. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) I also have Ewido "free", the trial period long ago expired and all that is left is the on demand scanner. Obtaining the updates for Ewido have been no problem. I also just today downloaded all the critical Windows updates. I don't know if it is necessary, but before I start I disable all my security software, once the updates are completed I enable all the security software again, usually happens with a restart anyway. I have not encountered any problems when I follow these procedures. Also remember I do all of my updates manually, none are done automatically. Hope this helps, but keep in mind that I am no tech. wizard by any stretch of the emanation.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;) :D :p

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Damn, I do the opposite. All my updatings are automatically, otherwise I would forget them and my age makes me lazy.
    But we have one thing in common, I'm also no tech. wizard.

11. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thanks Tas
    bookmarked this link for future use

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Wildman
    sounds like a good idea to me-thanks

13. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D Hay I ain't no young pup myself. No with dial-up, I do manual updating. I usually check when I first turn on the machine each day, surprisingly it really doesn't take that long. I also do an on demand scan of my machine once a week using all of the security software, and do a new restore point at that time also. Also in the whole of things the downloads don't actually take that much time either, there can be exceptions to this but they are usually rare. I also whittled down to the security software that works well on my machine, and still provides what I consider to be good protection, for me all are "free" software.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: :) ;) :p :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.