Restricted Sites not working

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Gadget, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gadget

Gadget Guest

Hi

I check for updates for all my security programs on a daily basis and noticed today that there were 1617 items not protected in the resticted sites section.

I clicked on them all and asked for protection but other than the green status bar moving across nothing happened and all 1617 items remained unprotected.

I use XP with SP2 with all latest patches on a celeron 2.4 Ghz tower computer. I run IE, Ad-Aware, AVG, Bitdefender, CCleaner, Microsoft Anti Spyware, Spybot S+D, Spyware blaster and zone alarm all free ware versions and all up to date. I have been running all this programs for a while now and not noticed this problem before.

How do I fix this problem?

Gadget

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In almost all cases this has been found to be caused by one of the Security\Privacy programs used. Recenetly....Yahoo anti-spyware was found by a user to be causing this. Having said that....of the programs you have listed I have never known the following programs to cause this....IE, Ad-Aware, Microsoft Anti Spyware, Spybot S+D.

I am not a user of the remaining....AVG, Bitdefender, CCleaner. So if at all possible I would be looking closely at those programs as possible causes.

3. gadget

gadget Guest

Thanks

I decided to look at bitdefender first as it has been irating me recently as it doesn't always scan and it doesn't do much as I have AVG. It has occasionally found malware that AVG hasn't but I suspect that after the next update AVG would also have found it anyway.

I removed bitdefender with no change then downloaded the latest XP updates and restarted the computer to find the problem was fixed. Wether this was because the system needed a restart or because bitdefender was the problem I don't know and no longer care.

Thanks again

4. Gadget

Gadget Guest

Hi Bubba

as I have seen from other posts this problem doesn't appear to be associated with bitdefender as it still keeps happening but it is occasional and if I reboot the computer it fixes itself

thanks anyway

5. PhilipCataldo

PhilipCataldo Registered Member

Aloha:

Have you seen the thread by sticky on this issue? If you are running Spy Sweeper there is a conflict and shutting office Spy Sweeper will allow the restricted sites to load properly, then you can open Spy sweeper and all will work until the next time SpywareBlaster sends updated definitions.

My problem, which may not be a problem, is when I open SpywareBlaster it seems to load to quickly, faster than it has done in the past and my perception is that information is not being loaded at all.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 does indeed load faster than any previous release. :D

If you'd like to verify, go to any of the tabs on the main screen (Internet Explorer, Restricted Sites, Mozilla/Firefox) and check to see that there are items under the "Customize the Block List" section.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. PhilipCataldo

PhilipCataldo Registered Member

Yes I tried that. But I can't tell which are the sites from SpyWareBlaster and which are the sites from Spy Sweeper etc. They seem to share the same host file so I can't tell if the new restricted sites are being added to the host file when I open SpywareBlaster or if the list is a combination of the old list of SpyWareblaster plus the Spy Sweeper list.

But if you say it loads faster and are sure that all the SpywareBlaster sites are being added I will take your word for it. It just seems too fast, the load just zips through.

8. Peeved McAfee User

Peeved McAfee User Registered Member

Just so that you don’t have a misconception about how SpywareBlaster works there is no information added to the HOSTS file. The entries for IE are added to the system registry to block cookies from some sites, place other sites in the restricted zone and block the download/execution of selected ActiveX scripts.

The methodology used is contained in the following two Microsoft articles:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.