Differential Backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ueler, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ueler

ueler Registered Member

Is there a way to limit the amount of differential backups that Acronis makes?Say after 2-3 backups it will go back and re-write over these files.

Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ueler,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

There are two possibilities to limit the amount of differential\incremental images:

1. To schedule two tasks: one for the monthly full image creation (e.g. on the first Monday of each month) and another for weekly subsequent differential images creation (e.g. on each Sunday).

As the result you will always have a set of one full and few differential images which will be overwritten starting with the first Monday of each new month.

2. Create a special batch file which will delete all the differential images in case it will find more then 2 or 3 of them and set this batch file as a "pre-command" in the backup options (take a look at section 4.3.3 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide. )

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  3. Geto

Geto Registered Member

But then I must make unnessesarily full image in every month. Others backup
    suftwares dont require to make full image again but they just rotate complete
    backup database.
    This is dangerous and security risk

4. ueler

ueler Registered Member

I tried last night to set up a Full back up on Sundays and then a differentail back up for every day of the week Monday-Saturday. I checked this morning and the differentail back up was almost the same size as the full back up. This doesn't seem to be correct. Is it? Please advise Thanks!

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Did you do a defragmentation of the drive in question between the full and differential backups ?

6. ueler

ueler Registered Member

I am not sure as my defrag (diskeeper) runs when only needed. It might have. But what I don't understand is I thought that the defferential backup should be just the files that have changed from the full back up...I noticed that the file size on the defferential backup was just a little smaller than that of the full backup.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

For imaging backups (as opposed to specific file/folder backups), TI will consider any change in content of any sectors (or some other unit of physical hard drive real estate) comprising a particular file as having "changed" the file and therefore will include any file that had any part of it physically moved on the hard drive included in incremental or differential backups.

So, sorry to say, defragmentation is certainly one of those things that'll move sector contents around. So much for SmartScheduling, eh ? I schedule my defrags (PerfectDisk;) ) ONLY just before a full backup.

This kinda gripes me because I'm used to planning and thinking around the way DOS/Windows backup operates - at the file archive bit or modification date level.

Unless I'm mistaken, TI9 DOES track changes through modification dates when you're doing specific file/folder backups as opposed to imaging backups.

8. Acronis Support

Hello ueler,

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

After installing the latest build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0, please create new full and differential images and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please provide me with the following details:

- Tell me whether you have created disk\partition image or file-based backup;

- What is the exact size of the data that you backed up?

- What is the exact size of the resulting full and differential images?

- Where do you store your images?

- What operating system you use?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that we have already received similar requests from other Acronis customers and they have already been forwarded to our Development Team.

The ability to "cycle" differential\incremental images creation will most likely be implemented in the future versions of a particular product, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

Please also note that if you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.