"Failed to read" error message

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by michael_in_atlanta, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael_in_atlanta

michael_in_atlanta Registered Member

I have started to receive this error message: "Failed to read from the sector 26,500,16 of hard disk 2" which prevented Acronis from completing a scheduled incremental backup. I tried to explore the disk with Explorer - the program reported that Disk 2 was not formatted. I formatted. Then I ran Chkdsk /f which reported no errors with the disk that I could see. Then I tried to create a new image using "Automatic" which failed with the above error message. Next I tried to create an image using Fixed Image Sized for a CD. This apparently worked - but I could not explore the image (16 files) - when I clicked on #1 the Acronis protested that this was not the last disk in the image. Then I clicked on #16 (the last) and Acronis protested "Can't assign drive letter to a single file" - or some such. What's going on?
    ===================
    I have manually copied a variety of large files from my C: drive to hard disk 2 (F-drive). All these seem to function normally.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

This sounds like a hard drive problem that is still not bad enough to kill your disk, but it may become fatal eventually.

If the disk manufacturer provides a utility for testing the drive and correcting errors, download it and run all the tests - especially the one that destroys all the data on the disk by writing to every sector. That is the one most likely to correct the problem. If the drive is reported good by that series of tests, format it and try again with Acronis.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello michael_in_atlanta,

In order to explore an image that has been created across multible CDs/DVDs you need to copy the complete set of .tib files back to a single folder on your hard drive first and explore the image from there.

Regards

4. michael_in_atlanta

michael_in_atlanta Registered Member

My reference to "sized for CD" related to the file size option in Acronis Backup (Fixed size vs. automatic). All the related files are still on the same hard-drive, but in 600 MB units rather than a single 12 GB file.

After my previous post the automatic backups succeeded for several days. However I am again getting a "Failure to read sector in Disk 2" error, although in a different sector than before.

I will try to test the drive, if the manufacturer (Maxtor) provides any software to do this.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello michael_in_atlanta,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please also check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Where do you store your images?

- Whether you create a disk\partition image or file-based backup?

- Make a screen shot of the error messages that appears when you try to explore the resulting image archive or provide the exact text of that error message.

Create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.