A few questions 4 U

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by streetwolf, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. streetwolf

streetwolf Guest

I like to run a lean system. I notice that TI has a few things that start automatically with Windows. I have prevented all of them from automatically starting without any ill effects. But I'd like to know what each one does. Here's the list:

TrueImageMonitor - TrueImageMonitor.exe
    Acronis Schehuler2 - Service schedhlp.exe
    Acronis Scheduler2 Service - schedul2.exe (I set this to Manual).

When I fire up TI it starts up schedul2.exe and leaves it running after I exit TI. I will then kill the process myself.

Like I said, everything works OK this way. I just would like to know what these things do. The schedule ones I suppose are pretty self-explanatory. I don't need the scheduling feature of TI btw.

Also.... Is there an option to Integrity Check a backup automatically after taking one? Or does it have to be a two step process? Norton Ghost lets me backup/verify in a single run.

Thanks.

2. streetwolf

streetwolf Guest

OK... I see a verify option when creating a scheduled task. To bad there isn't one when not using a scheduled task.

Another thing I see lacking in the scheduled task is the ability to specify the number of backups you want to keep at a time and the ability to create these backups with a different name, such as a number added to the name. The test I ran just replaced the backup using the same name.

I always take full backups. I want to set up a backup/verify to keep 4 backups. Of course this means the oldest one has to be deleted when the backup runs the fifth time and above. This implies some sort of naming convention to make all backups unique. I can't seem to find this in TI. Ghost v9.0 does all of this.

Thanks.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello streetwolf,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The information about Acronis services:

schedul2.exe -- Acronis scheduling service
    This service is started on the computer startup and remains active until the computer is turned off. It is used by Acronis software to start scheduled tasks. Note that, Acronis True Image 7.0 always schedule image creation tasks, even if you start the "Image creation" operation. Thus if you stop Acronis scheduling service, then you loose the ability to create images in Windows.

schedhlp.exe -- Acronis scheduling service helper
    This program monitors the logons and logoffs in the running system and notifies Acronis scheduling service about them. It is started when a user logs into the system and terminates when the user logs off. Acronis True Image 7.0 uses this program to schedule tasks on user logon/logoff and to run non-scheduled "Image creation" operation.

TrueImageMonitor.exe -- Acronis True Image Monitor
    This program provides the interface between running Acronis True Image tasks and the user. It allows observe the tasks progress and cancel the running tasks. It is started when a user logs into the system and terminates when the user logs off. This program is not required by Acronis True Image to perform its tasks, and can be terminated if you think it occupies too much memory, but you will loose the ability to control running Acronis True Image tasks.

Could you please clarify waht version of Acronis Program you use? Acronis True Image 9.0 has the option to verify the image file after creation.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. streetwolf

streetwolf Guest

I was wrong. I found the option to verify my backup right after it is taken.

I am a user of Norton Ghost v9. Ghost has an option where I can tell it to keep x number of backups at a time. When I exceed that number the oldest backup will be deleted to make room for the new one. The backup filenames are incremented using ascending numbers added to the filename, like 101,102, etc. This ability is for manual backups as well as scheduled backups.

Does TI have this ability? I can't seem to find it if it does. I have to manually delete old backups.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello streetwolf,

I regret to inform that Acronis program doesn't have this feature. But we will try to implement it in future.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  6. BugVic

BugVic Registered Member

Use incremental backups and simply create a second scheduled task that only creates a full after the number of days you want to limit the backups to. That will overwrite the old full and the first task will systematically create incrementals based on the new full from the second task.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Good catch. That's exactly how I do it. But, strictly speaking, that doesn't automatically manage the size/disk space issue (not that I would, in any event, be comfortable with that !).

8. streetwolf

streetwolf Guest

But I want to keep the latest 4 full backups in my backup folder at any given time with TI doing all the file management chores for me. I never take incrementals btw.

This feature is not very hard to implement. I am surprised it isn't in TI already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.