Clone not booting up.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Teal38, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teal38

Teal38 Registered Member

Hi, I am running TI 9.0 with the current updates. I am trying to clone a new 40 gig hard drive. I ran the Automatic setup and followed all the on screen directions. When I shut down and replace the old hard drive and try to startup again I get a message that reads. ARC Firware boot congif did not propertly generate ARC ware for HAL and System paths.

If I replace the old hard drive and connect the new via USB I can see that all the data did transfer. What step am I missing! I read somthing about Windows changing the drive letters and screwing up the new hard drive, but damit I did all the steps required by the wizard. What am I missing!

Oh, I am running Windows XP tablet on a Fujitsu 3500. I don't have a port for a bootable floppy and I don't think it will boot via the USB.

Thanks.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

What automatic setup are you referring to? TI does not need the disk set up before hand. What is ARC Firware boot congif did not propertly generate ARC ware for HAL and System paths refer to?. I think ARC maybe your problem. Maybe you should disable ARC whatever that is.

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Create the bootable Rescue CD (it has all the Backup, Recovery, and Clone features on it), boot with it, make your Backup on to your USB drive, replace your internal drive and still using the bootable CD, perform the Recovery of the Image on the usb drive to your newly installed internal drive.

4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

ARC = Advanced RISC Computing
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_RISC_Computing
    HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer
    youd have no reason to want to change that unless migrating between two VERY different boxes (like from a P4 to an Itanium :p )

System PATH
    refers to a location %systemroot% (which is a fancy way of generally saying C:\ but then not all installs are put on C;\ and dual booting ect could be a different partition say F:\, the path part is simply say C:\Program File\the ap its looking for

since it doesnt see the ap I too would recommend you do a simple straight clone
    then make sure your physical drive configuration is correct (for IDE say Primary Channel Master being the drive location since its the first scanned) if your trying to boot to an SATA or USB its controlled in the BIOS boot order and other options (BIOS vary) sometimes its automaticly recognized sometime they arent

drives and partitions get dynamically assigned letters by the OS that is booted based on thier BIOS scan order and type of partition, simplify your configurations as the first step.

default BIOS scan order used to be
    IDE primary channel Master
    secondary Channel Master
    Primary Channel Slave
    Secondary Channel Slave
    PCI Bus (which technically the IDE is a subus of SATA too) for SCSI or IDE RAID cards based on its own scan order (slot 1,2,3,ect)
    USB devices (again based on a BIOS switch)

now alot of BIOS scan orders are already set to recognize SATA and have USB activated
    but you still get the option in the BIOS for a boot order, switching say you primary channel master to the next recognized bootable device which might be on the secondary channel as a slave or even a SCSI card (again controlled by the BIOS recognizing the various bootable devices from its own scan order and simply listing them as HDD 0, HDD 1, ect)

you can see where it can get very complicated if there are alot of drives attached
    alot of BIOS had an option to refresh the total configuration becuase sometimes theyd fail to differentiate attached devices, some still do though typically they are automatic, generally you look for ESCD in the BIOS which stands for Extended System Configuration Data, sometimes you have the option to forces an update
    it actually is supposed to be just plug and play devices but also seems to refresh PCI\IDE as well and was a classic fix for a DMI hang

if its not an issue with your Acronis options when cloning its very probable it your physical config and BIOS options

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  5. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

a little searching also revealed this

Problems with drive overlay programs in Windows XP

and

How to Tell If Drive Overlay Program Is Installed in Windows

what hardware are you running exactly?
    mobo, drives

seeing a drive overlay ap these days is like seeing a dinosuar walking down the street :eek:

the solution may just be to zero the HDD
    (becuase somehow you or someone inadvertently installed a drive overlay) and then recloning it
    unless of course the overlay is on the drive your attempting to clone from
    any modern mobo will have no problem with LBA and you shouldnt even need LBA for a 40GB drive anyway

which brings us back to what hardware your actually working with

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.