Using Acronis TI booting from Bart PE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aarond38, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aarond38

aarond38 Registered Member

I need some assistance from forum members that are proficient troubleshooting issues using TI-9 & Barts PE.

I built a Bart PE CD to use with Acronis TI-9 Home Build 3567.
    Am able to utilize all functions within TI-9 when booting from TI CD.
    When booting up from Bart PE CD version 3.1.10a everything looks great. Am able to see both internal drives and all folders within windows XP. When I bring up TI-9 it works fine until I try to create or restore an image! I receive the following message:

RESTORE DATA WIZARD

Restored hard disk drive location
    You should select a hard disk drive for the restore

Please select a destination hard disk drive to restore the hard disk drive image. The hard disk drive already restored are disabled. The destination hard disk drives without enough space for restoring an image are disabled as well.

No items to display.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I get to the restore I can click on & see my tib. that has the image to restore but am unable to proceed since it apparently does not recognize my hard drives at this juncture. Any help would be deeply appreciated. I have searched the forum and TI manual to no avail.

2. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

Did you add the SATA drivers into the BartPE disc? Sounds like a driver issue could cause this. Also, did you use Windows XP SP2 for the source during BartPE building or an earlier version?

3. aarond38

Thanks for the reply Scopacetic. I did set up drivers in Bart PE for SATA
    and SP2 was used but I agree it must be a driver issue.

Bart PE opens fine and I can see both drives except when I try to use Acronis TI-9 home imaging which is why I want a usable Bart PE CD.
    Any other suggestions to correct this problem?

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

The Win installation disk I used as the source came as XP Pro SP2 already, so no need for slipstreaming. But I did copy its contents to a HD folder and pointed PEbuilder to that Source.

While copying the TI plugin files into PEbuilder, I included the subfolder
    C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE\Files\Drivers as well. (TI plugin is from build 3567)

Didn't add any other drivers by any special procedure.

My 3 SATA drives (one is USB external) are seen in TI and each of them is selectable as source or destination in the Recovery Wizard. All the steps in the Wizard work well, only I didn't Proceed.

I have never used the BartPE TI for real imaging/restoring because my external drive works from the regular Linux Rescue CD. I created the BartPE CD just to see what it was like and it seems to work. Fate.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Follow-up.

Just created an image of C: onto the USB external (both SATA) in BartPE and verified. No problem. So it's now confirmed that no extra drivers for BartPE are required for my system.

6. aarond38

Thanks for the information bVolk, I do appreciate your efforts on my behalf.
    My unit also came with XP Pro SP2 installed so I didn't have to slipstream anything so that is not a problem for me. Did you have an actual XP CD?
    My computer came with the DELL CD that was not the complete works CD but was a reinstallation DVD so I had to use the XP Program that was already installed to provide the data for my Bart PE CD. Maybe that is where my problem is.

I have no problem booting from & opening folders etc. with BART PE CD. Only when I open TI-9 does my problem arise and I get all the way to the where to recover from etc. and it states no items to display. I do however see the tib. files prior to opening TI-9!

I'm going to start over from scratch and see if I can get a proper BART PE CD made. There is no urgency however since the TI 9 Boot CD works well using their Linux system.

Thanks again.

7. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

Might look at this thread. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=146401

To summarize, Starsfan09 had issues using a Dell OEM installation disc. This has been a problem for some Dell systems, though not all (e.g. bVolk) and is addressed at the BartPE website in the FAQ section. While yours is not a boot problem, it does smell like a storage driver problem, which is also at the root of the boot problems. There is a "Dell fix" plugin at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/files/fixdellxp.cab that basically copies the storage drivers correctly from an Dell OEM source.

May not be the answer, but sounds like it's worth a try.

8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I didn't know about this Dell problem, so I didn't specify before that my own installation disk was an HP/Compaq OEM. Also thought that the OEM problem was a licensing "grey zone" question, not something that could evolve into a technical issue.

9. aarond38

Thanks again bVolk, I just downloaded the fix file for the Dell OEM ref. BART PE & as soon as I get back home will try this work around. Have a great weekend!

10. aarond38

I am going to give it a try, download the "Dell fix plug-in" and see if it helps. You are correct, it certainly does seem like a driver problem as I can boot up with the Bart PE CD & get into all my works except when I attempt to use Acronis TI to access or make a tib. Appreciate it much!

11. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Hi guys. I added this to help out. After you do what in the picture. Click "BUILD" to make an .ISO file. Then burn it to a CD.

Attached Files:

12. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

This is the tree structure I created to adapt to PEbuilder's original one. The "trueimage" folder is therefore my own addition.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  13. aarond38

Thanks an awful lot starsfan09 for your post & clear instructions with visual aid attachments. The old adage a picture is worth a thousand words holds true. I'm on my way out of town for a few days but will attempt to sort it all out when I get back. Have a wonderful weekend and thanks again!!

14. aarond38

Thanks bvolk, first opportunity I have I will attempt another go at it.
    Have a pleasant day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.