Build 3633 update question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by savagcl, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savagcl

savagcl Registered Member

3 days ago i pulled/installed build 3633 and created a full backup onto a
    USB external Harddrive (Crossfire). Everything worked ok. Except it took
    over 90 minutes to complete. My ballpark time before 3633 was less
    than 1/2 hour. Was it a known fact that the create time would be more
    than doubled? (I still have InCD installed in my system since i didnt find
    any reference to remove it).

Could having InCD installed be the reason for the doubled time?

Again, 3 days ago i got build 3633, now i get an e-mail about a new
    update to TI9.0. Did build 3633 have a change (DVD support) within the
    last 3 days. To state it differently, do i need to download and install 3633
    again?

What is BartPE and do i need to concern myself with it?

Think its time to update the Users Manual?

Thanks,
    savagcl

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I think references to remove InCD relate to a possible conflict with the new direct DVD burning function not USB drives. I doubt if it accounts to your increased time. Such problems were reported with previous builds indicating that perhaps a change was not beneficial for all models of devices. Your image is still the same size? System Restore if enabled can make an image grow considerably.

AFAIK 3633 is still the latest build and it has just taken TI's "mailout" this long to get done.

BartPE is a free version of WinPE. PE stands for preparation environment and it is a product only provided to corporate customers by MS. Bart saw it as a useful maintenance tool and wrote his own version of it that mimicks the MS version to a certain extent. BartPE provides a Windows environment with Windows drivers thus getting around one of the problems with the TI Linux recovery environment - weak driver support. Applications can be made to work with PE and these applications are called plug-ins. There are plugins available from TI for TI 8 and TI 9. You build the BartPE environment with the plugins you want and end up with a bootable CD which you can use in place of the TI rescue CD to create/restore your image.

Mustang who frequents this forum actually developed a TI 9 plugin before TI issued theirs.

From build 3567, the TI installation will install the files needed to make a BartPE disk if you select, I believe, the full installation. It puts the files in a folder for you. I haven't made a PE CD this way so I can't help you further.

I agree the documentation needs to be fixed and if TI follows their usual pattern it will be released soon. You may find BartPE info in the 3567 User Guide (?)

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I thought the P stood for "preinstallation" but that works for me too.

4. savagcl

seekforever,

Thanks for speedy comeback.

Yes, backup files are very close (20.0Gig vs 20.3Gig) nothing that would
    account for the time increase.

I have the external HD which i "normally" use for backups but having an
    image on a DVD wouldn't hurt either.

Dont want to read words into your explanation (avoids confusion) but, if
    i get this right - If you have InCD , you cannot create a DVD image?
    Conversely, if you dont have InCD, then you cant create a USB image?

Thanks again,
    savagcl

5. seekforever

You, not I, are correct. :D

6. seekforever

Prior to the latest builds it was necessary to have InCD or similar packet writing software installed to create a DVD image. The recent tests done by Menorcaman that showed direct DVD writing worked in his case was done on a system that had InCD removed, presumably to test/show that it was no longer necessary. Whether it is necessary to remove it for successful DVD direct writing with TI's latest version, I don't know.

InCD has nothing to do with reading/writing to a USB hard-drive, it is just for writing on DVDs in what's called packet-writing. Packet-writing is the access used when you have your CD/DVD setup for drag-and-drop file copies.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, thanks but, heck, I saw another instance where a website referred to it as a "Preparation" environment but we all know what we mean right ? That's all that matters.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi there seekforever,

You presumed correctly :D.

I'm in the process of creating a full backup of my current setup. I will then re-install INCD and repeat some of the tests to see if InCD makes any difference to TI's ability to burn direct to DVDs. I note, however, that one user (dfw) has already stated that removing InCD allowed him to successfully image direct to DVD. As Arnie said "I will be back"!!

Regards

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  9. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

What gave you the idea that you would have to remove InCD, or any other optical recording product?

I would not remove ANY optical media writing product.

It's Acronis's responsibility to assure that there are no conflicts with the major optical media writing products.

Sometimes there is an operational conflict, e.g., it is usually best to not insert the optical media until TI is ready to use the media, otherwise, the optical media program might latch on to the media.

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Sometimes there is an operational conflict, e.g., it is usually best to not insert the optical media until TI is ready to use the media, otherwise, the optical media program might latch on to the media.

11. Menorcaman

If your reply was aimed at me then I'm afraid you are preaching to the converted my friend :cautious:.

12. Menorcaman

O.K. InCD re-installed and checks completed.

The important thing to note is that InCD's option to "Auto-format (if possible)" must be deselected and changed to "Do nothing" (see screenshot below). If you don't do that then, after you insert a blank DVD + or - RW disk and commit the backup task, InCD will UDF format the disk and TI Build 3633 will revert to imaging via InCD rather than use its own DVD recording capability. Other than this, as far as I can tell, InCD had no undesirable effect on TI's ability to record an image to DVD+/-R or DVD+/-RW media.

During this additional testing I discovered that the warning message (Screenshot 1 in the thread titled <TI 9.0 Home Build 3633 - Imaging Direct to DVD>), caused when using Nero Burning ROM erased DVD+RW disks, can be avoided by leaving the recorder drawer open and allowing TI to close it automatically after you click "Proceed" to commit the backup task.

Regards

Attached Files:

13. savagcl

Found those options in :incd", might have to try to create a CD of the "C"
    drive anyway.

Thanks,

14. savagcl

Well, that works.

I made a backup of the "C" drive only and it verified as OK.

Think the warning about inserting volume 1 could be more descriptive
    tho. I would get rid of the word "Warning" and use something better.

I'm thinking that a logical next step would be to place the Acronis
    program (for restoring) onto the first DVD followed by the data. Then,
    when a restore is needed, just place the first DVD in the tray and
    reboot....... and go.

savagcl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.