Do you consider yourself as a pc expert, in between or just a beginner?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sweater, Dec 2, 2005.

?

Are you a pc expert, in between or just a beginner?

1. PC techno geek expert

44 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. In between, knows pc but still learning securities issues

106 vote(s)
    62.7%
  3. Beginner, or ordinary surfer

25 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Dadkins, thats spot on.

Im supposedly an expert in my field (MS Web development, everything from software/hardware to servers).
    I never call myself one, I would rather just call myself experienced, theres always new tricks to be learnt, always help required, but I also dish out lots of help and solve problems for others. You only become an expert when what your working on is obselete !

With experience you learn how all the systems of a computer work, even if your not intimate with the specifics, that allows you to do logical problem solving (learn as you work to fix a problem - usually googling ;)), and also ask the right questions, something that inexperienced computer users cannot do.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Asking questions is a proof of intelligence. :)

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I was very surprised w the poll result..:eek: that only very few are pure beginners or just an ordinary surfers. Maybe, most of the ordinary surfers i think don't mind at all at this security issues and privacy attacks (that's why very few are in this forum). :doubt:

Its no surprise to me that most of the members here really have know how on pc
    hardwares and the likes, but still many are newbies on security and privacy issues. Well, just like my nephew, who build my pc. He's a computer graduate and now works on pc stores... he has all the knowledge on hardware and softwares but lacks the ability to answer my questions about firewalls, anti-spywares, anti-trojans and other sophisticated protections softwares that we're talking about here. Maybe he's not interested on something not related on their business... or maybe he has no time to read or visits forums like this. :doubt:

4. Larry38

Larry38 Registered Member

Intermediate

5. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Nice idea for a poll. Thanks for bringing attention to this topic, Sweater. Also, a poll like this gives an opportunity for people like me, who admittedly doesn't have a clue as to some of the more technical aspects of pcs, but who cares enough to want to try and understand and protect their computer to the best of their abilities, to admit to their limitations. Additionally, I think that Sweater made a good point about how beginners here at this forum are in a small minority and how the average computer user probabaly doesn't know about(and probably doesn't care about) pc privacy and security issues, which is probably why most of them don't frequent these types of forums.(I'm sure there are more of them out there in the public than there are "experts" and "in betweeners.")

Also, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any simple to read material where a person can learn about some of the more basic technical aspects of a computer. An example of what I'm talking about is that when I read articles about, or read posts in forums where people are talking about things like the "registry," I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. :eek:

6. Snowie

Snowie Guest

7. Hi, expert? mmm, whenever I learn something about pc's I feel I'm going backwords, because many doubts pop up like popcorn in my brain. So that each day I think I know less than the day before.

8. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks, Snowie. I was going to come back and post a thanks after I read the article, but I had to come back to the forum to post another concern about the Security Task Manager program in the Privacy forum. :rolleyes: And speaking of after 'reading the article,' I don't know about anyone else are here, but it seems like to be able to keep up with learning and understanding one's computer and security concerns, it seems like a person has to do a TREMENDOUS amount of reading and devote a lot of time to reading and keeping up with the various material. I don't see how most of the people here who are in-the-know do that because most people in general just don't have the time to do all that reading.

And in addition to the article that you provided for me, Snowie, someone else in another thread provided me with a link about the IE Restricted Zone which I only read a part of. And that's in addition to the tutorial that I had to read for CCleaner and information that I had to read to understand the Online-Armor program that I recently installed. I just don't see how you all keep up with all this stuff. Unless of course you're speed readers. :shifty: ;) And poor Zorro Zorrito. Unlike Zorrito, I feel like I'm getting somewhere, but I feel like I'm swimming in an ocean of knowledge and information, and even though I feel like I'm going forward, when I look up, there's still the rest of the ocean that I have to swim across until I can finally get to where I'm trying to go. :(

P.S. Also, Snowie, do you have an articles about Win Zip? I recently downloaded the Eraser57 program and found out that it needed the Win Zip program to install and execute it. I had to uninstall the Eraser57 program because whenever I try to use the Win Zip program, I go bonkers. o_O (Or in other works, I don't have a clue when it comes to Win Zip and I get frustrated whenever I try to use it. :ouch: )

9. yes!

yes! Guest

yes! yes!

10. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Knowing when and who to ask when you are lost, gets you a long way. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Intermediate. I do know how to operate stuff, use software, assemble PCs or add components to my PC, and to some extent, I can perform troubleshooting and locate articles that may help me easily, and I am sufficiently knowledgeable about computer hardware, but I still need to learn much about security. :)

12. Snowie

Snowie Guest

RcGuy

Why not give 7-zip a try.....its nice software....an free....un-zips files without much fuss at all........

http://www.filehippo.com/download_7-zip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

an here is a link to a few tutorials:

http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/Tutorials~Guides.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you are doing lots of reading, huh......hey, thats real good....many people never bother reading the instructions.......an end up with their computer taking a flop...........( yup, thats happen to me as well)
    Always remember RcGuy.....no one is better than you.....some may know more right now....but tomorrow remains....an you may be the next security wiz to be born.....hey, who knows........could be....if you want it to be.
    When you estimate yourself don't under-estimate yourself.......

Regards

Snowie The Snowman

13. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

intermediate, just like all the rest cause I hate to say that I'm expert at something .. cause it's all relative lol 2morow I can meet someone who knows the double then me ... and personaly, I like to play the underdog!

but being an expert in Internet Security, I know my way around but far from being an expert ;)

14. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

Well Sweater,I added to the ordinary surfer list for you.

Four years ago I had never used a computer at all and my son who was 6 at the time had to show me how to turn one on:doubt: .

I bought a reconditioned PC and had a baptism of fire(It was running Windows ME!!).. I was told by the "Expert" at the shop that it was ready to go ,just plug in and surf when you are ready.

No AV,no firewall just PC and modem and a user that knew no better:gack:

Anyway still here,now have 2 machines,can do all sorts that I never knew existed, have kept both PC's totally clean now for over 2 1/2 years and have learned enough to help other people out.Have done all this through asking over and over again and hopefully learning from the mistakes I have frequently made.
    The other big help has been the forums like this where so many experienced people give time to help others(Even if they do sometimes talk in techno mode)and yes as others have pointed out there is an awful lot of reading to do!

An expert I will never be but I am learning as I go and always ask ask ask.

15. Sonap

Sonap Registered Member

In between, knows pc but still learning securities issues

16. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks, Snowie. I will try out the 7-zip program and check out the tutorials.

17. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

My computing experience goes back to the late 1968. PC experience goes back to 1982. Many folks over the years have referred to me as the expert. I do consider my self an expert is some areas but that expertise only last a short time or is out dated. In the ever changing computer world, expertise frequently reverts to non-expert. Since the option was available I picked both item 2 and 3. I thought about picking all three, but don't really care for the term "PC techno geek expert" :D ;) ;)

18. progress

progress Guest

I would like to be a PC techno geek expert but I'm just in between I think :(

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I know absolutely nothing about programming or the innards of a computer (except for the obvious common knowledge). What I learned here, and it is certainly above the average user, is how to troubleshoot any problem I might encounter with my computer in terms of software malfunctioning and security. I was sick and tired of asking my brother (a real expert) and some friends to fix up my machine.

20. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I am not a newbie, maybe somewhere in the middle.
    After reading some of the posts here, by some who I think are very knowledgeable of computers and whose opinions I respect, I have to ask what is below the newbie? :)

Since I have been coming here to Wilder's I do have to say I've learned alot.
    Thanks to those who share their knowledge and experiences with us.
    I for one appreciate it.
    Thank you all!! :thumb:

21. RSpanky

RSpanky Registered Member

I consider myself as in between, But I am learning Thanks to Wilders

22. Somewhere in between beginner and expert, leaning more towards beginner probably. I know my way around a PC, how to secure it, etc. but I have very little understanding of programming, or of how security programs (and others) actually *work*.

23. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

In this industry it is very difficult to be an expert unless you keep updated.
    An expert five years ago who does not continuously re-educate him/herself can hardly be considered an expert today.
    I am not surprised that the divorce rate of programmers is second only to aircraft traffic controllers.

Burn-out is a fact of life in this industry.

24. guest

guest Guest

I already know many things, but I still consider myself a Beginner or ordinary surfer. :D

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Here we go thread resurrection!!
    In the Hardware aspect, i consider myself pretty much a geek, BUT not expert.
    Software aspect, I AM A NOOOOOOOOOOOB! :D

Between me and my friends? They look at me like an expert :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.