NTFS Streams Eraser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just removed kav 5 this morning and then ran the streams eraser. Any of you that have used or plan to use this do so with caution. I have used it a few times with no problem, but today after I ran it I discovered It also deleted my restore folder and my system search and also the user profile folder. Don't think that wasn't fun trying to figure how to bypass a windows administrator startup password. I just wanted to let you know what can happen running this app. I think it is a good app but it sure bit me in the bu##

bigc

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I am of the mind if a software producer wants to put entries in my alternate data streams, they should provide a way to remove them without downloading extra apps to do it.
    And please, give me the opt out option before installation.

3. bigc73542

In kav 5.0.277 you have the option to not install them but not in the earlier versions. I know I won't have kav back on my comp. and I am extremely glad that the the repair option on the xp pro cd really does work. I didn't loose one app due to the repair. At least something went right :D

bigc

4. dog

dog Guest

KAV does provide a removal tool. Although it should be more easily found and obtained. ;)

Article - http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?qid=156666512
    Direct DL (FTP) of KAV's Stream Remover - ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/utils/klstreamremover/klstreamremover.zip

Steve

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yup, immediately after I used the ADS remover, I used FirstDefense to "goback" in time, to a time before I even had KAV, just to make sure I recovered anything that the ADS tools might have removed!

Acadia

EDIT: The KAV ADS tool did not work for me, but the tool that BigC and Raxco recommends, did.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If I find streams anywhere, I drag out Eraser and remove them.
    Streams feel invasive to me. :D

Attached Files:

7. bigc73542

I have tried the kav streams removal tool a couple of times and it really just doesn't work worth a darn. The NTFS Streams Eraser gets all of the streams in safemode but it just went a little crazy this time. I had to expect it sooner or later that something would go wrong. I install and test antivirus programs more often than some people change socks. Sometimes six or seven times a week. I have been real careful but I guess it was just my time to get bit :(

bigc

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes, but the tool left an ads. :D Eraser got it!

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

BigC, if you had one of the "goback" programs such as FirstDefense, RestoreIT, or GoBack, your testing, installing and uninstalling, would go much faster and be much easier.

Acadia

10. dog

dog Guest

LOL ... but where would the excitement come from then? :D ~We Love Trouble with a Capital T~

11. bigc73542

I have been putting off spending the money but it might be time to invest in some type of goback utility

bigc

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Be forewarned, they are like a microwave oven or Broadband, once you have one of those programs, you won't know how you lived without it.

Acadia

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

GoBack works as advertised. You can eliminate sys restore using this app.
    A big hard drive is useful as it copies everything you have currently.

14. bigc73542

HD space won't be a problem. I just might have to give it a try

Attached Files:

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Not to take anything away from GoBack because that is a truly great program, but with FirstDefense you could have all of your various anti-virus on your system AT THE SAME TIME, each in a different Snapshot (literally a different c:drive). You would not have to do all of that uninstalling and installing, just change Snapshots to whichever AV you want to play with today.

But GoBack is also a great program, I used it for five years and loved it.

Acadia

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I meant FirstDefense rather than GoBack in the above posts.(slapping self in face :D )

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ronjor, so you're now using FirstDefense too? When did you start using it and how do you like it so far?

Acadia

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's a KAV install guide (with pictures) by CalamityJane that shows how to install KAV so it doesn't use streams - iStreams. the guide starts alittle down the page just above the pictures of Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 5.0 Setup Wizard

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12688162~mode=flat

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Acadia

I still haven't parted with the bucks after trialing First Defense. :rolleyes:

Soon though. It is a great program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.