Support problems with BOClean CompUSA Purchase

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by richrf, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

I just wanted to alert potential buyers of BOClean that BOClean is not supporting purchases that have been made through CompUSA. This basically means, as far as I understand it, based upon email I received from Kevin, that I am not entitled to any upgrades. (I have tried for several days to receive confirmation of this from Kevin or Nancy, but so far I have received no firm reply).

Also, since I do not have an order number on file with BOClean, I cannot enter into their members download section. I am really disappointed with this turn of events. I think that both parties should make this clear since in the past any time I have purchased a product from any third-party, the original vendor provided full support. I hope this message allows others on this forum to avoid the mistake that I have made.

Rich

2. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Rich,

Are you sure about this? Have you confirmed this? Please follow up and let us know. I will email also. :eek:

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jon,

It is pretty complicated. Even I am not sure what I am entitled to at this point. Kevin did send me a replacement download even though he made clear NSClean was not obligated to do this. My Upgrade support is very unclear. I do not have, nor am I entitled to, access to the NSClean/BOClean member area. Over on DSLReports Security forum, Kevin outlined the issue and he recommended that potential purchasers buy the product directly from NSClean. I agree. There are too many issues when purchasing from CompUSA. In my particular case, I couldn't get into the members area (I still cannot) and I had to wait for Kevin to respond with an email attachment. I was also lucky that I had saved a copy of the original receipt.

Bottomline - don't buy BOClean from CompUSA. There exists two different "support structures" which are still very unclear to me.

Rich

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jon and Don,

To be clear, I sent to emails to BOClean asking for clarification on the upgrade issue. I never received a direct response. The DSLreports explanation is still unclear to me. But it is of not real matter anymore since I have a licensed copy of Ewido and it, at this point, will probably become my primary online trojan monitor going forward. As much as I like BOClean, I do not like the idea that I do not have direct and immediate access to the members area. I made a mistake purchasing from CompUSA and I wanted to make members of this forum aware of this.

Rich

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I understand Rich, could you possibly tell where this "members area" is, a link would be great because i have BOClean (bought direct) and have no idea what this members thing is at. o_O :)

7. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I have read the replies from Kevin and Nancy from dslreports and I think all is well. It just takes longer to confirm your sale for you to get any new versions of BOClean. I get my updates every day, when there are any. As far as having an extended download include, I don't see the necessity for this if you keep the download that you received from CompUSA. You just re-install it if your computer eats it up. I have Norton and I have un-installed and re-installed off the original download without problems and without the extended download option. ;)

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Same here Don as you know I use Bo too. I have no clue o_O

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'd recommend all reading this thread to visit the thread over at DSLReports. Kevin and Nancy provide exceptional support to their customers, all of them, even those who purchase through discount resellers, as I did in this case. Yes, my name is Blue and I'm a CompUSA customer...

There are certainly some differences in support. The money back guarantee is contingent on the policies of the vendor to whom you sent payment, and their return policies may not be as flexible as PSC's. Updates support is identical. On upgrades, you should only notice a difference if you purchase around the time of a new release, and thats timing only. The extended download options aren't available through the CompUSA purchase, another minor difference and this does effect very slightly how quickly an upgrade can be handled.

For myself the difference is not an issue, although if I were making the purchase again, I'd probably go through PSC direct, not due to support issues, but that's how I support vendors of good products that I want to see thrive.

Blue

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

Just to clarify.

1) I did not want to use my backup copy of BOClean because I had a particularly malicious virus on my system for quite some time (you may have seen my postings) which finally got through my protection layers and totally crashed my machine. I didn't want to use any executables that existed on the machine for fear of re-infecting. For this reason, I thought I would get a fresh copy of BOClean and at that time I learned I did not have access to the download section (I provided the url to that page). I sent an email to BOClean and received a response in a couple of days. During that time, I was protected by Ewido.

2) I wrote to Kevin and Nancy regarding whether I was entitled to Upgrades. Kevin sent me a reply which was unclear and when I requested a clarification from Nancy, I never received a reply. So I had no idea what my situation was until Nancy posted her reply on DSLReports.

3) Since I noticed that there were members of this forum who were considering purchasing from CompUSA, I thought that they should be aware of some of the issues. I direct purchase from NSClean would seem to be a better choice.

Regards,
    Rich

12. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

My take is that you get the same support and upgrades as if you bought BOCLEAN directly from Kevin and Nancy. Once they get your order number and you're registered you're good to go. From what I've read, and Kevin has responded to my emails, we will be treated the same unless you bought just as an upgrade was coming out, as previously mentioned. There could be a delay receiving the upgrade until they get your order information from the other vendor. I am very impressed with Kevin and Nancy and feel 100% supported. For those who have not ordered BOCLEAN, I would recommend you order directly from the BOCLEAN website.

13. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Rich,

With all due respect but I hardly understand your issue with, and complaints about, BOClean....

You bought it at CompUSA and NOT directly through PSC, for some discount price.
    Discounts can have their disadvantages....
    Kevin and Nancy DID explain it at that DSLR-thread.
    Kevin did, as I understand it, send you a new fresh version of BOClean.

There cannot be ANY doubt about the support given by Kevin and Nancy :
    One of the very best you will find on the whole internet.

You have now this thread, a new thread at the Privacy-Software-forum-section here at this board at which you are complaining (and that thread at DSLR).

Support by PSC is mostly given directly by email.
    If I'm allowed, I would suggest to email PSC again (but please forgive me: to me it really looks like it has already been solved...).

Of course you are completely free to choose which programs you would like to use; no doubt about that.

Regards, Jan.

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi FanJ,

I really have no issues with BOClean the product or the company. To me it was a very straightforward decision. I needed a clean copy of one of my licensed ATs quickly after my machine was hit. I was able to immediately download copies of Ewido, TDS-3, and TrojanHunter. I think you would agree with me that they are all excellent programs. At least that has been my experience. So if I have to choose one of the four going forward, I simply choose the one that I can get a hold of quickly in an emergency. That's all. My advice to others is simply not to make the mistake I made. Buy directly from BOClean.

Regards,
    Rich

15. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Rich,

Thanks, I understand it now.
    I was hardly online the last couple of days and missed your problems with an infection. I hope you were abke to fix it !!!
    Sorry for my posting !!

Regards, Jan.

16. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi FanJ,

Glad I was able to clarify and thanks for coming on board to try to help me out. I always appreciate the support and assistance of members on this forum and other forums such as DSLReports. You guys have always been very forthcoming with your help and advice. Thanks to all.

Rich

17. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

MYTH-the facts about "Support problems with BOClean CompUSA Purchase"

I just saw this thread here. Time has been very limited with a surge in email, questions about other software false detecting CWS-NS3, and work on a new BOClean verison (which isn't ready yet, the word will be out as soon as it's ready, please don't email us on it, that only serves to take time away from development).

All BOClean customers can get support as needed, and upgrades per the Maintenance Agreement in the BOClean EULA http://www.nsclean.com/boeula.html . UpDATES are handled by the software itself. UpGRADES are available to all legitimate BOClean customers, and everyone has to request a copy regardless of where they purchased it. The Extended Download Service, which enables a customer to download BOClean, including upgrades, anytime without delay, is not available from CompUSA.

CompUSA customers get the same support as any other customer. We appreciate all our customers providing their order number when requesting support or upgrades. In a few cases it may take a bit longer to verify a customer, but that's the full extent of the "problem". The exception to this are upgrade requests from EDS customers, they can get their upgrade anytime through the service site withut needing to email us.

I assume you mean the Extended Download Service, which is a value-added option for customers through the www.nsclean.com website. That service is handled by DR, not us directly. We may look into a means for CompUSA customers to purchase it separately, but I can't make *any* guarantees it will happen. I doubt it would be possible.

18. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time to clarify.

Regards,
    Rich

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Well there you have it. Nancy and Company signing on to care for another customer. See. All the best Rich...look forward to your future contributions to the forum.

Look forward to the New BoClean Version too!!!!!!!

Never forget BoClean=Trojan Defense ;) :D

20. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Mercurie,

It is nice to have such great support. Really, I would be lost without all of the advice and support I get from this forum and others such as DSLreports. Thanks to all - here and all the vendors including BOClean, Diamondcs (your guys are great), the ICE Systems guys who helped me out with KAV, etc.

Have a great weekend all!

Regards,
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.