What mistakes did various LulzSec hackers make to get identified?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

To my knowledge,

Sabu: used the same user name across too many sites, revealed too much personal information (you should never reveal ANY personal information if you are wanted by the Feds), and yeah logged onto IRC chat several times without Tor.

sup_g: Revealed that he lived in Chicago and detailed information about his criminal record. Thereby making it incredibly easy for the feds to identify him.

Other LulzSec hackers where busted from using HideMyAss and other so-called "anonymous" VPNs.

Anyone else got precise details on how other LulzSec hackers got busted? The feds will be after them for the rest of their lives, so they better be perpetually paranoid.

**mistakes **

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The best way to get this information is to get the actual court records. Most of them in the U.S. are online and transcripts are available. It's amazing what you can learn reading these things. It's a big reason we know, for example, that TrueCrypt (when used correctly) is a solid tool. TC frustrates prosecutors all over the country - and I would imagine the world over. Point being, they name names in these things - they have to. But, they aren't searchable via Google, you have to know where the case is/was being handled.

By the way, rarely, information is redacted or 'blacked out'. I have personally written FOIA requests for this information and received it every time. But that's usually not necessary.

3. DesuMaiden

Could you provide me a link to these transcripts and court documents? It would be a very interesting read.

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

A recent one was the guy in AZ or NM, who got busted by a "Sting Ray" using an AirCard. Verizon pushed a firmware update to the card. Once again, that's almost like "doing it from home". Use Open WiFi, or crack WEP, or "Reaver" WPA/2...it's a good thing we all are model netizens on this board :D

If you want to read about 5 years worth of a private forensic message list, Anon did a dump a few years ago from a CA forensicator that they hacked. No links, I'm sure you can find it. Like Lockbox said, there are no secret revelations for TC or even stuff like Eraser/CCleaner. The methods they use are the ones we all know about. Poor SOP gets them caught, IMO.

PD

5. DesuMaiden

How would an AirCard bust you? What do you mean by a "Sting Ray"?

Where can I search for this dump? Pastebin?

6. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

7. jimmy011211

jimmy011211 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.