Defeating Fingerprinting

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CloneRanger, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

As in covert channels & inter-arrival time etc.

I'm sure there is software available, for users, that can slow down connections either in and/or out ? This is used to throttle bandwith for various purposes, unconnected to my idea.

If it could be used as is, or with modifications, then that "could" be used to mess up the time signatures. If it could be made to randomly alter the TS's even ever so slightly, i "presume" attempts at Fingerprinring would be fruitless, or made a lot tougher.

Thoughts, extra ideas etc :thumb:

2. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Any packet that is sent to a destination has an identity. How unique the packet (id of sender) is would be determined by the parameters compared to the rest of the packets, no?

Why would a packet inspector care about timing?

3. CloneRanger

@ Searching_ _ _

Hi, you might like to read this :thumb:

I only just found it whilst looking up a link for you, so i've only just started reading it myself, but it seems very comprehensive, with lots of other links included too :)

4. CloneRanger

Here's a screenie of the basic idea

id.gif

Data OUT gets delayed and/or so does IN

The delay could be random set between small time limits, and/or either IN/OUT could be made to bypass the Delay Buffer should that be required. This could be just to stop using it, or could be randomly set to bypass for extra FingerLESSprinting !

On paper it "appears" it "might" work ;)

Be nice if someone had the skills to do it & see :)

5. CloneRanger

Think i "might" have found something that "could do it ;)

It's an extension used in combination with Fiddler http://www.fiddler2.com/Fiddler2/extensions.asp

fid.gif

Not sure if that means data flows normally from the www & is only delayed locally ? Even if that's the case, as it's delayed "maybe" that would also delay any respones back out ? In which case bingo :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.