Boot 'Image for Dos' Recovery from USB

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by markymoo, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pazzie

Pazzie Registered Member

If nothing else helps, you could maybe backup the USB, reformat it, make it bootable again and copy all the files back.

I also had this error once, but it turned out it was because the USB was fragmented instead of the ISO.

2. osip

osip Registered Member

Yes, and IFL is good enough. Also good to have ATI media rescue in where disk director could be useful. This small USB stick has found a very useful function indeed. Thanks to Mark who introduced this solution.

Pazzie: I have reformatted/defragged and made the precedure once again, still the same.

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

SP.iso is too big, it can't be defragged on a small NTFS partition, format the stick with Fat16 32KB cluster size then copy the iso files one by one.

4. osip

osip Registered Member

Yes, you're right. I made the same assumption, the stick is full. If I will go further with this I will use another stick. I will leave this one with IFL and ATI media recovery.

Anyone tried YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator ?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

5. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I have been playing around with Yumi, Universal USB Installer, & Sardu, I prefer Yumi. Yumi & Universal USB have a few more applications to download via the programs gui than Sardu, Sardu has a lot of AV's. Yumi's real advantage is the OS multiboot ability, (not sure Sardu does this, I think Sardu is beta at the moment as well)

I haven't used it enough yet, but Yumi, and the others are definitely simple enough to set up and run. Definitely worth a try :thumb:

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

fwiw, i'm able to boot a virtual IFD floppy fine with the following menu.lst entry:

I had img4dos.img at C:\ instead of a USB flash drive because I had preconfigured the IFD options to automatically backup my system partition to a separate hard drive. At the time I wanted to spare the time and inconvenience involved in booting to bartpe or winpe (for offline backups). I wanted to have an option available from the boot menu that would make a backup automatically, and then either shutdown the computer or reboot to windows). However, I think the above grub4dos command should work fine from a USB drive too.

edit: I don't have a physical floppy drive so I used a small freeware program called Virtual Floppy Drive to create a virtual floppy drive for writing to and editing the IFD floppy (initially in memory, then saved to an img-file on ejection).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  7. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Some ISO's need to be extracted to successfully boot. To avoid the defrag error. Extract the entire ISO's folder and files to the USB and boot it that way.

If you want to use memdisk to boot a iso, these are the commands.

title eg.
    kernel memdisk iso
    initrd /iso/eg.iso

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  8. davidecosta

davidecosta Registered Member

You tried last SARDU 2.0.2c? Is a stable version

9. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

As proven from this thread , you do not need Sardu, Yumi etc. or Syslinux. Grub4dos is fine and will suffice. If you want fancy graphics for a practical menu then you be missing syslinux, but grub4dos will do the necessary. It's the program that you want to load that is more important.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.