Windows Disk Defragmenter-Unmovable Files

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheKid7, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just defragmented the System Partition (Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit) of my oldest PC (~8 years old - 3rd hard drive). Some of the "green" colored (unmovable) files appear to be scattered. I do not remember for sure, but it seems like the "green" section was split into two roughly equal size chunks a few weeks ago. I get the message at the end of the defrag that some of the files could not be defragmented. I checked the S.M.A.R.T. of my hard drive and it shows that the hard drive is OK.

What do you make of this? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks in Advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. TheKid7

I decided to use Microsoft's PageDefrag for the first time ever. I ran PageDefrag twice. The 1st time it took around one minute for the defrag operation. The 2nd time it took around one to three seconds for the defrag operation. After the defrag with PageDefrag, the PC performance has increased significantly.

However, how do I get the two "green" sections of unmovable files back together or does it matter whether or not they are together?

Thanks in Advance.

Images of the Windows Disk Defragmenter after each PageDefrag operation (I ran a regular Windows Defrag between the two PageDefrag operations.):

Attached Files:

3. TheKid7

I did not think about this before now: Could one of those "green" sections be for Returnil System Safe. The PC with the two "green" sections of unmovable files is the only one of my PC's that has Returnil System Safe installed?

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it. In other words it's like that for a reason that is probably irrelevant to us. If everything is running OK I wouldn't be concerned. :)

5. TheKid7

6. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

That explains it. AFAIK, the Windows defragger cannot move some types of system files including the hiberfil.sys; others are the page file and often, the MFT. A commercial defragger (full version or trial version) is required to defrag these files, and that too during the boot-time defrag process IIRC.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Puran Defrag is the only free defragger that can defrag locked files at boot.

i think it's pretty damn good.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Puran Defrag is the best Free Disk De-Fragmentation App.
    BTW, Defraggler 2.0 defrags only system files at Boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.