AV's with Least Battery Drain?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by firzen771, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

I dont think ive ever seen a question like this before, but i know some AV's have power saving options, if anybody could list some of those i would be thankful since i don't know which ones specifically. but i was also wondering which AV's dont drain too much juice from the battery?

might seem like kinda a tough to answer question but im just curious for when i get the new laptop.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Go for the lowest disk I/O (in picture are all processes of Forticlient displayed, incredible low disk I/O after two hours of Surfing- I use the laptop setting on my desktop because it really makes it a light AV). The backround scan of PrevX will keep your disk spinning for ever for instance.

Best AV's I know

1. Fortinet client (make sure you enable autor run protection)
    2. Avira
    3. Avast (when you tune it like I outlined, Avast has the lowest disk I/O - only anti-rootkit scan ans Avast.setup has some disk I/o at startup)

Constant disk I/O like PrevX has, will never stop the disk spinning

TIP:
    a) Buy a external casing for your current HD (in your laptop), use it as a backup drive

b) Buy an SSD and install ( = long battery life combined with blazing performance, making your question a non-issue)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  3. shanep

shanep AV Expert

Hi Firzen771,

All background tasks in the Norton products are battery aware. Check out the attached screenshot. The green power-plug (highlighted) indicates that all these tasks will only run when the machine is on external power.

Shane.

Attached Files:

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

true, its obvious but i never even thought about this, so basically AV's that can be set to not scan everything all the time. so kees, EAM with on-execution/only modified files scanning would also work well on battery life correct since it would rarely be scanning files. as well as avast with its cache

and shane, looking at that, maybe im reading it wrong but does norton not update when on battery? or does that only apply for program updates but signatures will still be downloaded? and no community watch, does that mean community ratings won't be displayed when on battery mode?

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

This is what i thought :D
    You could set it to On Exec only too :rolleyes:

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes,

And when you have an anti-executable, run LUA or Windows7 with maximised OS power settings (see my post) you could even set it to scan modified files only.

7. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Power Saving Mode is enabled by default. You can see in the screenshot all the affected tasks.

No updates including signatures will be downloaded automatically when running on battery with Power Saving Mode enabled.

Norton Community Watch is an opt-out service that "collects the information about new potential security risks from your computer and submits the information to Symantec for analysis."
    If you opt-out, you won't help the community ratings but you can still benefit from them through Norton Insight and Download Insight.
    Edit: So during Power Saving Mode, Norton Community Watch won't submit any information.

Norton Insight not running on battery means the whitelist for Scan Performance Profiles won't be checked/updated automatically.

On battery power, you will still get a community rating for downloaded executables in a supported browser through Download Insight.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 also has an option to disabled scheduled scan (rootkit and idle scan) and updates while on battery to conserve power and prolong computing experience.

Battery.png

It does actually works on tested laptops/notebooks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.