Xb Browser with TOR+OpenVPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by danielspencer2, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielspencer2

danielspencer2 Registered Member

I know xb browser has a paid VPN service, but when using xb browser that has TOR included with it, is it possible to use OpenVPN? I know JanusVM does this but I was wondering if it can be done without this by manually setting up OpenVPN with xb browser and how?
    Will xb browser(with TOR) and OpenVPN give me more privacy and anonymity than just Xb browser with TOR?

Can someone also tell me, how is it that OpenVPN is free? how do they make their money and can they see my real ip address?

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Daniel,

We're developing a new browser that has a VPN connection through it that can go through tor as well.

Steve

3. danielspencer2

danielspencer2 Registered Member

so when is this new browser coming out? will it be a beta or final?

4. SteveTX

We're pushing for Aug 1. It will have an auto-update system in it.

5. CaixFang

CaixFang Registered Member

Steve, will the new xB machine be capable of connection sharing? ie, serving as a router into the xB service, for a small network.

At teh moment, I do not want to go the JanusPA/CryptoRouter way, only because I am still testing xB (see all our dialog had a point), so when the new release comes out I would like to be able to set up a pc at home running the xB machine, and then set that pc as the GW for all my external routes.

Will this be possible?

Also, I know it is kind of off topic, but DOES the JanusVM support using OpenVPN into the xB network? When I fired it up, i didnt see any openVPN stuff...(and yes i know its out of dev, and i am NOT a *nix expert!!)

6. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

Hi SteveTX, where and what are VPN servers and reside? This new version xbbrowser would survive from denanonymizer and other tools?

7. SteveTX

I had not planned on the new virtual machine being used as a gateway, but I think it could. Why not, instead, just run an OpenVPN connection to XeroBank, and setup that machine as a gateway for your network? Or were you thinking of using Tor?

As for JanusVM, I *think* it has OpenVPN inside it. Pretty sure. I know for sure we have a version that does.

8. SteveTX

The VPN servers are a multi-hop network like tor, but unlike tor they are all high-speed nodes, FIPS-140 military security compliant, and are additionally anonymized through crowding optimization and multiplexing. Entry nodes on the XB3 network now act as relays, and exit nodes perform the circuit decryption. This new design allows us to have trusted 3rd parties securely run entry nodes into the XeroBank network. As for where the nodes are, check for yourself on our new XeroBank Network Status Map that we released today. New version of xB Browser will withstand DeAnonymizer,

9. Webby

Webby Registered Member

Sorry to get in with a possible hijacking of this thread but it's a chance to ask SteveTX about a post that might be related.

Would this new Browser/VPN service solve part of the this post No: 10022 on the Jap/JondoFox forum.

https://www.jondos.de/en/uieforum?c=showthread&ThreadID=2036

Cheers Webby

10. SteveTX

Yes, the new xB Browser will make a full VPN connection via browser. XeroBank has been speaking with JonDos for the last few weeks about this, and they are very interested in our new browser, and we plan on helping them implement it on their network.

11. Webby

Webby Registered Member

:D :D :D :D :D

Thanks Steve!

Cheers Webby

12. arran

arran Registered Member

is it going to have an option to disable auto update?

also is the new browser going to be available as a separate package?

13. SteveTX

No idea on packaging. I had not planned for updating to be disabled, can you tell me more about why you would want that?

14. arran

arran Registered Member

because power users like my self don't like apps randomly phoning home, I like to do updates manually and keep the out going connections to a minimum.

what I meant by a separate package is are you going to be able to use the browser without having to pay for the full amount with the XB proxy vpn service?

15. SteveTX

Well, i think that is reasonable. And yes, you can use it stand alone, as it will be a fully free and open-source software.

16. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

I just tried xbbrowser the lastest build, I can see xbbrowser.exe requiring process memory reading on ms windows smss.exe (system components); if set it blocked from other memory reading, xb did not work and stalled. Can you explain it?

17. SteveTX

Start xB Browser in Debug Mode (start menu link), and when it pops up to ask you to allow access, take a look at the log and tell me what the last ten entries are. That will tell me what it is doing when it is requesting access.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.