What about updates

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by BestiaPL, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BestiaPL

BestiaPL Registered Member

Have you also problem with updating ESS beta 1 ?

I can't connect to update server.

I see only an info 'Virus signatures are outdated'.

Version of signatures is: 2169 (20070504).

2. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

No problem here on two machines and two LAN subnets. Does the rest of your internet connection work OK ? I suppose so, since you were able to post this message.

Do you use a proxy server and if so, is it configured in ESS ?
    Do you use a hosts file or something that could block access to certain IPs ?

3. BestiaPL

Internet works fine.

NOD32 2.7 works also fine, but ESS not.

There is no proxy server, and I'm not blocking any IP's.

I've also disabled firewall in ESS - but it don't works.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Something must be preventing ESS from connecting to our update servers. Could you confirm you have not changed the default settings after installation? Do you have the update server set to "Choose automatically"?

5. scottls

scottls Registered Member

Re: What about updates. My fix!

I am a software tech-
    Rule of thumb!- Users often blame the software..., when 99% of the time it's an improper install...!
    o_O Working good for others?!- What did "I" (me too!) do wrongo_O!

I had a similar problem with updates, and FINALLY got it working...!-
    I went into Update, Setup, and COPY/PASTE (from my activation email) my user name & password, OK.
    DO NOT TRY UPDATE YET!

NOW, do a RESTART "FIRST"!- THEN try it! (Lots of software (XP!) doesn't FULLY apply changes..., until AFTER a Restart!)

You may have to delete the NOD32... prefetch file, from your C, Windows, Prefetch folder.

Note!- ALL file tweaking... in Explorer..., is MUCH easier if you change view to old Windows Classic!-
    My Computer, Tools, Folders Options, Tasks, Windows Classic...
    Then RIGHT click on Desktop & apply Windows Classic Theme. RESTART
    GOOD LUCK! You'll LOVE it!

MORE!-
    1. My take on this is that if you don't apply the User name/password PROPERLY on install- You WILL have WEIRD update problems!
    I NEVER got Update... working good..., until AFTER a NOD32 uninstall/reinstall, with proper username/password entered- AT INSTALL!
    NOD32 SUGGESTION!- I wish that NOD32 install would show the toolbar, so that you could copy/paste this info, and then CLOSE all open windows...! (reminder...!)!?

2. You CANNOT have "2" active (or parts... of old!) anti-malware, or firewalls!
    A simple uninstall usually doesn't work on MOST anti-malware/firewalls (leaves active modules...!)!- This is so that the malware..., can't easily fully uninstall it & attack...!
    ~
    note- This "advanced procedure" may seem time a little consuming..., but LOTS better than a corrupted system/pgm...!
    Gets faster with practice!
    Do this... to begin with, and it's LOTS easier/better!

A full system reinstall may be necessary (2 minutes, from a GOOD system image/backup, with Acronis "9" True Image! (10 is buggy!))?
    ALL beta... testers, should use Acronis 9!- I use this before testing most ANY new iffy... software (especially Registry cleaners...!)

My COMPLETE disable/uninstall Procedure (print this FIRST!)-
    ALL modules MUST to be turned OFF..., BEFORE complete uninstall!
    You will have to uninstall NOD32 first (see below).
    1. I FIRST backup critical files..., RESTART. I now do an Acronis 9 full image restore system backup (2 minutes...!)!
    DELL XPS400, XP, 3.2ghz Pentium D, 2 gig memory, C HD- WD Raptor (not raid) 10,000rpm/4.2ms Raptor HD (!WOW!- BEST/FASTEST upgrade EVER!).
    2. Log off Internet, disable pgm startup from UI... (load on startup...), RESTART!
    3. Start, Run, enter msconfig, go to Startup folder & uncheck pgm, Apply, Close. RESTART.
    4. Start, Run, msconfig, Services folder, hide MS services, uncheck pgm, Apply, Close. RESTART.
    5. Run Hijackthis, and delete pgm, if still in registry. RESTART
    6. Go into Windows Task Manager & stop process, if still there. RESTART
    7. NOW you can Uninstall pgm from Add/Remove. RESTART
    a. If you EVER had Norton anti-anything installed!- Download & run their cleantool! RESTART
    8. Go into explorer Programs & delete pgm folder.
    Disk Cleanup...
    a. Go into msconfig, and check Normal Startup. Apply, Close. RESTART
    9. Run a chkdsk on system HD. RESTART "TWICE!"!
    10. Run "safe..." registry/file cleaners- I like EasyCleaner (files too!), Registry Mechanic, and Symantec/Norton WinDoctor 2003 (only Norton utility installed/custom...!). RESTART
    11. Defragment your HD. RESTART
    12. Enable your XP firewall, log onto Internet. RESTART
    NOW!- You are ready to reinstall...

NOTE!- Sometimes it is necessary to FIRST reinstall old pgms, before you can do this procedure!

o_O You may have corrupted your system, and be beating a "dead horse"?-
    I'd get a WD Raptor HD (newegg), Acronis 9.., FAST Diskeeper Pro "10" defragmenter (WOW!- "innefficient..." XP defragmenter uses only a small part of this!), and reinstall...!
    You'll be SOOO HAPPY!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  6. BestiaPL

Yes, I didn't change setting for updating ESS. I've tested on second PC - with default settings - also nothing.

Look at this: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=991492&postcount=5 - i've got this same problem.

When I manually connect for update ESS, he shows that is downloading 'update.ver' - with no errors.

I don't know what can I do for download updates.

7. BestiaPL

I'm also tech... i'm programming computers over 10 years :)

And I think that you aren't using ESS Beta - because you will be know, that user and password are attached with installer - and user shouldn't change this values.

Normal 'user' and 'password' data are not working with beta versions.

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

'This preview version is restricted to registered NOD32 Users. Your personal NOD32 Username and Password will be required to use ESS Beta 1' - http://www.en.nod32.ch/download/beta.php

Cheers :)

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The username and password for updating the beta are already embedded in the installer. Should you encounter some problems, you can enter the evaluation username and password manually:

U: essbeta
    P: essbeta

Registered users can use the username / password they acquired after purchase or registration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.