Avast! VS AVG(Free Editions)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Metal425, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

without hesitation I'd use Avast!

2. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

I agree. I gave up [cough] Norton for Avast!.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Avast is great. I love for its many shields and its quick scanner.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

The only comment I have, regarding the speed (or slowness) of adding detection of new samples (submitted by users) to the avast database is that things are improving.

A whole new submission system is now under preparation and we hope it will bring many enhancements and generally improve the overall quality of the product.

Cheers
    Vlk

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks vlk, I am really cocerned about ITW samples as some users posted here. I install Avast for many novice users.

But to be honest, I am unable to understand ur coments. The problem we discussed here is not with submission of samples, samples are being submitted but problems is that they are not being added. I am not sure how new submission system can improve addition of signatures.

BTW anything about heuristics? I remember that in the past you have informed us that heuristics will improve too.

6. vlk

vlk AV Expert

On our side, the problem is related to the submission process. We're getting 3,000+ samples daily. More than half of these is junk (legal/benign files), many files are also corrupted (may be of malware nature but are not functional) and there are other problems, too.

Unless we streamline the submission process and our internal (backend) systems, it's really hard to cope with such volumes. Our analysts are just losing too much precious time dealing with unnecessary stuff.

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Glad to hear it. :thumb:

For the meantime, though, you could include some short instructions to users with the proper know-how on how to make things easier for you. For instance, I'm willing to include a brief analysis along with the samples I submit, if it'd help.

8. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

I dont like avg cuz I think it doesn't have good detection on virus
    I dont like avast cuz its web shield slow down IE a lot for me soemtimes it even crashes IE and I dont see the point of using avast if run it without web shield.

my .02

9. vlk

vlk AV Expert

I'd suggest heading to the avast forum (http://forum.avast.com) and spending a while trying to solve the issue. Millions of users are happy with WebShield and I'm sure your problems are solvable.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That a real issue!

Thanks for input.

11. warwagon

warwagon Registered Member

Avast because of one word..... "Boot time scan"

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Seems to be a problem. Good luck sorting things out. Never uninstalled Avast!. Thanks for this fine program.

What about this question:
    Is it classified information?:p

13. jawadde

jawadde Registered Member

i use avast and avira, but i have to say that avg has better detection than avast -> see av-comparison ;)

PS. avast make your system slower when it starts up, its a big surprise when you've just install it, so be aware ;)

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi jawadde,

If you are referring to AV Comparatives, IBK has stated that the free version would not have made Advanced. The paid version tested has the AVG AS as part of it. That is absent from the free version. With that being the case, Avast would have the better detection rate in the free versions.

If I have not remembered correctly someone please correct me.

Regards,
    Jerry

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think you are correct;)
    Also, if it scans during boot, it should be slower;)
    XP boots just fine for me.

16. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Oh, you are sure about that Firecat? I just remember when IBK (in some thread) told us that AVG wont perform as good as tested (av comparatives) because they are stripped off spyware detection. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=950978&postcount=44

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  17. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Well, if the goal of the OP was to throw raw meat into the lions den it is as usual a roaring:oops: success.

What was your real question?:D

The answer my friend in written in the thread :

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=167941

But we really can't have yet another pot stirrer here, I can't stand the competion:cool:

Well done! I await your comments on AV selection methods that you use!:cool:

18. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Sorry, that thread is too old to be replied to. Please look for a more current thread on the same subject or start a new thread for your post.

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

AVG for me. (full disclosure: I have never used Avast)

20. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

solution - keep avast dump IE :D

21. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Right! I'm going to update the thread anyway so that's that for now till after tax time!:cool:

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's "known" that avast! 5.x will most probably be equiped with generic unpacker and behaviour analyzer. Not sure about actual heuristics...

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have read it somewhere on these forums.

24. madaro

madaro Guest

AVG is the best free antivirus solution, I personally, have ever used. Would not hesitate to recommend any Grisoft product. Good, solid performance and protection, in my opinion.

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Actually, the difference is that AVG Pro does detect spyware. A lot of trojans too are detected as Potentially Unwanted Programs by AVG Pro. ;)

I'm pretty sure that the difference between Avast and AVG Pro would be approximately 1 to 1.5% and AV-comparatives' percentages do not take spyware detection into account. However, I completely forgot about spyware, and since Avast detects spyware while AVG (free edition) does not, I suppose in the real world Avast would be a lot better. My mistake. I am getting VERY forgetful these days. :(

But in any case, using AVG Free with a free and good antispyware will still offer good protection. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.