Boot Mode Files & Folders Restore: PDF file corrupt and unreadable

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Christopher_NC, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertdad

desertdad Registered Member

Another way to delete a "can't delete" file! What I am going to describe is the way I just deleted a corrupted file using Knoppix. My environment is a Dell 8250 Dimension with the first IDE drive having a Dell FAT utility partition and the second being my WinXP C: drive. I had a restored directory structure hanging off my C:\temp directory with the last directory having a corrupted file called nsli.exe.
    I used Knoppix v5.1.1, but in retrospect, I think any distro that has ntfs-3g will work. ntfs-3g is a rewrite of ntfs read/write with a focus on reliability. ntfs-3g has been stable since v1.0. Your distro still needs a up to date FUSE package for ntfs-3g to work. I believe the Trinity Rescue Kit has ntfs-3g in it, as well as many other linux packages. You might want to look at http://www.ntfs-3g.org and http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org. Look for the About ntfs-3g link.
    In my environment, Knoppix finds (the first HD) and puts up a icon for hda1 (my Dell utility partition) and hda2 (my C: partition) on its GUI desktop. As booted, you can't use the GUI called Konqueror (think windows explorer) to write to hda2 even though you can see the files and read them.
    I used linux to establish a mount point called /mnt/windows. I then used linux to actually mount (attach) my C: drive to the linux file structure. Note: You need to have root capabilities to issue the commands, and you can get there by selecting the K icon in the lower left of the desktop, select Knoppix, select rootshell. Issue the commands from there.
    Mounting my C: drive (hda2) was done with a mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows.
    I could then go back to the desktop (now that linux had a path to my C: drive in read/write mode) and double click on the hda2 icon. That brought up the Konqueror GUI and I could navigate to the offending file. I started by deleting the file. I then navigated one directory at a time towards the C: temp directory and deleted a single empty directory at a time. I left the C:temp empty directory in place. I never saw any feedback from Konqueror that he had any problem doing what I wanted. The item in question just disappeared. Make sure you go back to the root window and unmount hda2 before you shutdown.
    ntfs-3g does not use ntfsmount nor captive-ntfs.
    I booted to winxp and the offending file/directories were gone. I ran AVG anti-spyware and it did not find a corrupted file (it always did before). I used TI v10 build 4942 to do a complete image and validated it. No problems.
    I think the key is ntfs-3g. I'm sure there are other ways to do this (we have had two other ways mentioned in this forum already). Now there is a third. I hope this helps somebody else dig themselves out of the hole I found myself in. Thanks Mustang for suggesting Knoppix. I had never even see Linux before, let alone Knoppix.:thumb:

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi desertdad,

Congratulations. You have done extremely well. I'm sure that must feel great.

I tried to duplicate the corrupt, undeletable file situation. The good news is that I was not able to do it. Acronis must have made some changes for the better in recent builds. Previously, I had no trouble creating the problem. Just for the fun of it, I booted Knoppix to try out your mount instructions for ntfs-3g. For me it was a little more involved than it was for you. In my case Knoppix only created mount points for two of my four hard drives. My C: drive was not shown. I had to look in /dev to see all the hard drives. I could see them at sda, sdb, sdc and sdd. Only sdb and sdc showed on the desktop. I made two new directories (/media/sda1 and /mnt/windows). Then I had to add an entry in /ect/fstab for /dev/sda1. The first step was to change the permissions on /etc/fstab to read, write and execute for all users with chmod a+rwx /ect/fstab. The second step was to open /etc/fstab with KWrite and duplicate the entry for an existing ntfs partition changing the device name to sda1. Then I was able to use the mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows command to mount my C: drive. At that point I suspect I could have used Konqueror to delete the bad file if I had one.

You certainly have come a long way in a short time.

3. desertdad

desertdad Registered Member

My results so far lead me to the following conclusions:
    1. I believe my problem was related to a very specific set of conditions. I used TI10 bld 4871 from winxp to build a drive image of my C: drive on a second local IDE drive; used a TI10 build 4871 rescue CD to pull a .exe file out of the image and attempt to restore it; and it came up "corrupted".
    2. Doing the same image/file restore from within winxp was successful, including the file restore.
    3. I have subsequently done the same test with build 4942 and have pulled the same .exe file out of a bld 4942 image and restoring to a ntfs drive using both the TI10 rescue CD and a BartPE CD with TI10 on it. Both were successful.
    4. The folks running TI10 should get to build 4942 or better asap.
    Perhaps the fundamental problem has indeed been fixed. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.