TI-10 - Can't backup successfully across a network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by popechild, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babakan

babakan Registered Member

All of a sudden it seems I have this problem too. I get error (1,105(0x103F7)) doing scheduled backup to a network drive, but only from one computer. Other computer works fine. I have TI 9 home. Both computers running XP PRO SP2. I haven't upgraded TI for a while but windows is always doing it so I suspect MS has done something because this problem just started.

I think I fixed it. I saw somewhere a suggestion to use full UNC to specify network drive (\\server\ etc). I could not make this work by editing an existing scheduled task. I had to delete it and then enter it again using UNC.

I have to say, I have solved many network addressing issues in general by using UNC instead of referring to the mapped drive.

There are many threads with this same problem, but I am only responding here.

2. popechild

popechild Registered Member

Please re-read the problem in this thread. It is NOT fixed by using UNC paths. UNC paths allow the backup to run as a schedule task, but they DO NOT correctly follow BACKUP POLICY rules.

Are you telling us that you're able to run an automated backup to a network location AND it successfully follows the Backup Policy rules that you set? If so, it may only be a problem in ATI 10 and not 9, but I've still yet to have anyone say they can backup 1) automatically, and 2) successfully following backup rules. Multiple people (myself included) submitted log files to support about the issue. As far as I know, it's never been addressed by anyone.

Not trying to jump on you, I just don't want it to appear that there's a solution to this issue when it doesn't really work, in case Acronis sees it and decides to move on and work on something else...

3. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

My network backup quit working also. TI10 v4942.
    It was working fine through TI9 and after I installed TI10 but now it has stopped. My program was purchased as download from Acronis.

I get a "E00040003: Error writing the file" message after maybe 60 seconds of drive inactivity.
    I read this thread and have done the following, some of which may be clues.

- I have another PC running TI10 that is working fine to the network backup.
    - On the problem PC, I can successfully backup to a USB drive.
    - On the problem PC, I can backup a small file (<1mb) but when I attempt to backup a larger file (~300mb) I get the same Error behavior.
    - I have changed the NIC to FUll duplex vs auto with no improvement.
    - I have tried both UNC and mapped locations with no improvement.

Unrelated problem (I guess) is email which does not work.

At this point, as Im gone several weeks without a backup, Im almost resigned to buying some USB drives for each PC vs share a network drive. Im moved from Ghost to TI9 for similar problems. Im wondering now if Ghost is a better choice.

4. dagware

dagware Registered Member

Pardon me for jumping in, but if you have a Fry's close by, they have some awesome deals on external USB drives this weekend.:D And no, I don't work for Fry's. I was just browsing threads and thought I'd mention it. As a matter of fact, I'm about to go there and pick up a couple of drives for just this purpose -- that's whay I posted this.

-Dan

5. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

this week there are not very good Frys deals on externals. 2weeks ago I got a Buffalo 320G for $89 from Frys for my neighbor that was a good deal. Today I got a Buffalo 250G at Microcenter for $69. All with some sort of rebate of course. The only externals on sale at Frys until Th are shown below. Not such great deals.maybe ok deal for the 500G. Internals had some good deals and you can get a usb case for it and compare that way. Right now the Buffalo 250g is the best deal at Microcenter.

Frys Hard Drives & Network Storage
    Seagate 160GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive $69.99
    Maxtor 750GB OneTouch III Triple Interface External Hard Drive $299.99
    Seagate 160GB Freeagent USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive $139.99
    iomega 500GB StorCenter Network Attached Storage $329.99 $239.99 after rebate

6. chupakabra

chupakabra Registered Member

I use Acronis True Image Home 10.0 (build 4942) and want to confirm that backup policy is not working when doing backup to backup location using network share. Here are my settings for backup policy. As you can see I configured 'Location size quota' to be 5 Gb but I already have 10 Gb of backups at this backup location. Here is a part of backup log:

Check for the 'backup location quota' rule violation is started. Set quota:5 368 709 120
    No violation is detected. The following rule was checked:by location quota

Clearly there is a bug when determining size of backups already present at backup location.

There are other bugs related to backup locations:

1. When creating backup location I specified user name and password to access network share. After that every time I try to edit backup location settings I see that True Image resets this information to default 'No, I do not want to specify ...'. I fix the settings but next time problem repeats. Here are my settings and here is what I see when I want to change them.

2. Similar problem exists when editing tasks using networked backup location. Every time I want to change such task settings I have to fix backup archive location option to point to backup location and not to network path as shown by True Image. Here is a screen shot. As you can see True Image selected network path but it should select backup location instead.

7. jeffn

jeffn Registered Member

Hi Marat,

I submitted a technical support request yesterday (#957507) with several log files. I have three licenses and cannot get old archives to be deleted that are stored on any network location (3 different PC's, 3 Different network locations, 2 different networks).

Could you comment as to whether you can or can not duplicate the problem? I have to believe that if you simply tried it, it would fail. I just created a backup location with a 4 file and 512 MB Limit and created a scheduled backup to that location. Then manually started the job. Each backup creates a 175 MB archive. After running six backups, I now have six archives for a toatal space of 1.02 GB. The log file shows:

Check for 'number of backups' rule violation is started. Set number:3

'Number of backups' rule violation is detected. Maximum allowed:3
    Current number:6

Check for the 'backup location quota' rule violation is started. Set quota:536,870,912

No violation is detected. The following rule was checked:by location quota

There is no action available to take against the limit violation. Limit rule: by backup count. By default, the 'delete' action will be used.

Trying to fix limit violation: by backup count.

Deletion is started. Rule:by backup count
    Number of backup will be deleted:3

Backup deletion
    Number of backups: 3

Archive is invalid or its type is unsupported.

Since this is such an obvious problem, it would be nice to get some status report from Acronis. Even if you can't duplicate the problem.

-jeff

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Would like to confirm that the issue with backup location limitations are not apply if the backup location created on a networked shared folder is already known and Acronis Development Team is working on this issue. It will be fixed in one of the future builds of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. I'll let you know when the fixed build will be available. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

chupakabra, please note that I have forwarded the information about the behavior of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home you have described in your post 31 to the appropriate person and will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2007
  9. KaoticChemistry

KaoticChemistry Registered Member

All,

I'm having the exact same problem, and have opened a case on it, but have yet to hear anything back (2 days ago). If you'd like to take a look my case number is: 963674

When I take a look at the log file I notice that it tries to write to the following (wrong) path:

\\?\V:\Backups\Image\Cosmos\Online

It appears that it's trying to combine a UNC path with my mounted share for some reason, looks to be a bit confused. V:\Backups\Image\Cosmos\Online is setup as my Backup Location, and was selected in the Task.

Pretty obvious why it's not working, hopefully it's an easy fix that can be dealt with quickly..

Thanks!

-KC

10. Kidcreole

Kidcreole Registered Member

Hello,

I have here an office with 30 Users and 30 licenses of Acronis TrueImage 10. In the server room we have a Adaptec Snap Server which provides the backup space via NFS or FTP.

The users should use the backupspace with backup policies feature with automatic tasks - but nothing works.

1) FTP Backupspace with backup policies ( 30GB and only 1 Backup ).
    The creation of the backupspace is no problem. Starting a backup ends with "Error while creating file." BUG?

2) Mapped Network Drive Backupspace with backup policies ( 30GB and only 1 Backup ).
    The creation is no problem. Manual backup is no problem. But a backup task tells me "Cannot open archive to write" 0x400003 and "End of file reached" 0x40002. BUG?

3) UNC Backupspace with backup policies ( 30GB and only 1 Backup ).
    The creation is no problem, backing up is no problem - but the backup policies are not applied. After several backups there are 3 Fullbackups, even when the policy says only 1. Same with the space policy. The users now have to manually clean the backupspace.. BUG?

I tried to contact the customer support - but no reaction. Will I be able to use Acronis in office? Pleas supply a bugfix or workaround. Really bad support.

I would really like to use Acronis, but it seems that we need to give it back and by another product.

Best regards,

Kai Blitz

11. JHC

JHC Registered Member

Hi -- I just purchased Acronis True Image last night after playing with the trial four a couple of weeks.

I tried Full backups, differentials etc. The one thing I didn't try I guess is a scheduled task that backed-up to a backup location on a network share.

On March 27th, 2007, 02:02 AM, Acronis support posted that they knew about this problem and would have a fix in a new update.

It's now been over three months -- is there any news? I don't mean to be rude but it is a somewhat basic problem that ATI cannot properly perform a scheduled backup to a network share.

Thanks,

Jonathan

12. popechild

Welcome to the club. Just about the most basic need you could have for a multi-machine network and it doesn't work. I gave them log files back in November. I wouldn't count on getting a fix anytime soon...

13. ekitetu

ekitetu Registered Member

The problem could be associated with non-identical update status of the two machines. Make sure that both have at least the latest service packs and even better all the latest updates.

Eric.

14. dsmart[3000ad]

dsmart[3000ad] Registered Member

I wouldn't hope for a fix.

I had the same problem TWO months ago. As a fix, they tried to sell me a copy of the Workstation 9 version. They sent me a trial of that. Didn't work either. Then a special 'debug' version.

Haven't heard from them since. In the meantime, I can't backup to a network drive.

15. popechild

I'm not sure what that would have to do with anything, especially considering the networked drive shouln't even need to be on a windows-based pc, in which case there'd be no such thing as a service pack.

16. grape

grape Registered Member

Acronis folks - I have gone through the support procedures and now find this thread as well. So clearly you recognize that the fault is in your product yet you leave paying customers hanging without a resolution for months.

This response to me personally below is about the same as what you've told everyone here. Well we are all waiting for this "next build". How much longer must we wait?

If you've fixed the problem can't you just release a build with this fixed, then if you have other things you're still working on - release those later? C'mon guys this is painful.

Subject:
    [Acronis #981833] Backup Location does not obey rules
    Acronis Customer Service Department <support@acronis.com>
    Date:
    Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:06:28 +0400
    To:

Hello,

Thank you for your cooperation.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Most probably, this fix will be implemented in the next build. We will inform you when it is released.

Thank you.

Note that you can quickly find the answers to your questions in Acronis Support Knowledge Base at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/kb/.

-- Best Regards, Ivan Sarychev Acronis, Inc. 23 3rd Avenue Burlington, MA 01803 USA http://www.acronis.com Acronis Customer Service Department http://www.acronis.com/my/support/

17. blee

blee Registered Member

This problem has been sitting out there for nearly a year, and so it's quite discouraging to hear that the problem is unresolved after all this time. In my case, the only reason I upraded to TI-10 is to get this particular feature, and so I've clearly thrown my money away. :(

18. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

What doesn't work is the Backup locations quotas and backup location management. I backup to a network attached external drive using V9 B3677. I tried the trial version of TI10 and since the backup locations feature wasn't working properly I elected to stay with V9.

19. dsmart[3000ad]

In my case, it won't work at all in ATI 10. Whether you used UNC or mapped drive letter, I always got an error.

And the 'special' version of ATI 9 Workstation which they kept sending me to try, worked after two or three versions. Then they wanted me to buy it. I laughed so hard, I think I hurt something in my spleen. I mean, seriously.

20. blee

blee Registered Member

Yes, that's correct. Backing up to a network drive has never been a problem for me, even in prior releases, but it the quota/backup location stuff that I was hoping to get the benefits of.

21. dsmart[3000ad]

AFAIK, the Workstation 9 version does not have backup location/quoatas

22. ginigma

ginigma Registered Member

I just found this thread after submitting a tech support case [Acronis #1175917]. Hopefully there is a fix for this issue and it was just not posted here.

23. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

24. majones

majones Registered Member

I came across this thread whilst looking for other information on TI10. I run across a network and my experience is as follows:

1. TI10 as a scheduled task - works only if the backup location is specified as a UNC, and sometimes does not finish due to "Failed to backup file or folder ... Tag = 0xD2AC5C7897F85527: Retry/Ignore/Cancel". If then I abort and rerun manually, it runs OK.

2. Backup quotas - generally works but I occasionally get "Error ... Failed to clone backup" and the backup consolidation process stops. If I rerun manually, it runs OK.

Overall, for me TI10 is usable, but rather fragile. As a home user, I can live with it.

25. areynaldos

areynaldos Registered Member

Some ideas...

I've been having the same problem while backing up on a network drive - I am testing the product right now -.

When I try to backup to a network drive, say F: , I get the error regarding "Cannot write to the volume" or whatever it is... and yes, I have tried using the UNC name and it works...

But, with UNC names, the backup location policies do not apply, as some people have stated.

However I have an idea on why policies are not applied. If you create a task using a backup location, and later you go back and edit the task, the backup target is still the backup location. But in the case of the UNC name, when you create the task and select the UNC as the backup location, and you go back and edit the task... the target is listed as a regular path, not a backup location! So Acronis treats it without policies.

In order for this to work, the program must store the UNC path as a backup location, and it is not doing it. Why, well, I don't know, but that's their bug.

And of course, the issue with the network drives is another story...

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.