Dr. Web Resource Hog

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Antus, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antus

Antus Registered Member

I have a brand new pc compaq 64 bit gig of RAM AMD processor. Thats just for the record. I installed a trial of Dr Web and in checking the resources, I was upset to see how much it consumed. the exec along 23,000K for starters. Well needless to say I uninstalled Dr Web. ......How about your experience with ito_O Any inputo_O? In my opinion Dr Web is NOT light.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

dr.web is super light on performance of pc, extremely close to AVG.

15kb updates max, and low CPU usage.

if you turn on everything and use it all, 25mb will be the max ram usage, with spidermail using about 15mb of that, and the schedular using about 5mb.

if your using a 64bit OS, the spiderguard wont work anyway, as it is yet to be vista or 64bit compatible.

3. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

cheers shorty, thats the thread i was looking for... especially blackcats comments in it.

if you really think dr.web is still a resource hog, i dont really know what else to suggest to you.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Even if any AV took up 23,000K, on your new machine with 1GB RAM, the AV should have little effect on the running of the computer.

IMO, the effect on performance is much more important than memory usage unless you have an old machine.

For example, one of my primary AV's is taking up over 50MB VM but it has a negligible effect on the speed of the computer and therefore I would classify it as a very light AV. However, another well-known AV , despite only taking up 8MB VM, is very heavy in real-time on the same computer (different snapshot) and therefore I do not class this one as a "light" AV.

Unless Dr Web is slowing you down in real-time, most users would state that it definitely one of the recommended "lightweight" AV's.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

23mb of ram is nothing when you think of what it protects against and the amount of ram pc's have these days.
    i mean cmon f-secure used to use 100mb on my pc:D
    that did slow me down thou.
    what av are you using atm after you uninstalled the dr?
    if you think 23mb of ram is alot used i dont think you will be using any AV
    the cpu usage is the most important thing along with if you notice any slow down or not.
    i very much doubt you will notice any slow down
    lodore

7. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Its more important how AV work than how much of memory it uses.

8. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Says who. Why can't we have both? I don't like the way people with your mindset are developing software. Just because the resources may be available does not mean we should be forced to use them.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

agreed just because we have e.g. 1gb of ram and a dual core cpu doesnt mean it should be used by security softwaare.
    i think dr web,nod32,kav/kis6.0,bitdefencer,antivir etc etc do there jobs well without hogging resourses
    lodore

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if 25mb ram is too much, (9mb without spidermail) (4.5mb without spidermail and schedular) maybe you should use linux. :D

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or maybe yoiu should try f-secure which about 100mb ram then go back to drweb and relise how much low the memory usage of drweb really is:D
    and how much faster the pc is with drweb
    lodore

12. Krond

Krond Registered Member

Why does everyone think, the lower Ram-Usage, the better? If I had enough Ram, the machine should use this Ram, so I bought it for.... The second level cache of a CPU should used full, so that the effect is high, too. Why don´t use the Ram full, so that the machine have nothing to load from the disc? So you should use Vista, there is the minimal Ram-usage at 600-700 MB on my machine (2GB RAM), the most of this is cacheing from Vista....and it is good so. You think, that more Ram-Usage is slower performace? :eek:

Why you bought the RAM, when it should not be taken? Tell me more about myths of RAM-usage please.....:blink:

PS: sorry for my bad english.....

13. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

I tried Dr.Web a while back, but it caused constant freezing with both Firefox, and Thunderbird. Also when running a full system scan it was using between 90-100% of CPU.

I noticed on the Dr.Web forum there are posts on both of these issues...

It's a shame because other than that, I really liked Dr.Web, and I like what they are about.

I may well try it again in the future, but for now I am sticking with Antivir Personal Premium which runs light with no problems at all.

14. n8chavez

I'm not really saying this, and, I don't think the others that are saying similar things are either. I do not mean that there is no point to buying RAM, because there is. But there is no point to using that RAM for a on-access security product; there are others that can do the job just as well without the resource requirement. Why use F-secure when you can use NOD32, or Avira, or KAV, or Dr Web. That makes no sense. Use your RAM for more important things. Software developers should get the message by now.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i mean cmon even symantec made nis2007 lighter they finaly listened after all these years
    lodore

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Dr. Web Resource Hog ........

if you dont like it, dont use it :D

---------
    as for my panda vista :) ... its running pretty well, better than the older versions thats for sure, testing its detection at the moment, we shall see.... so far, its good.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

TBH the title "dr web resourse hog" did make me laugh:D
    he should read the dr web myths http://support.drweb.com/faq/a15/
    its a good read and explains that drweb is infact very light on resourses like me and Chris already know:D
    lodore

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

a while i go, i would have effed and jeffed at people like that :)

now i just sit back and make my friendly comments *lol*

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i just try to make it funny these days:D
    lodore

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

btw:just a little note for this dr.web thread

dr.web have to change the icon for the vista version, you cant see the legs on the spider, just a green dot, and it looks a bit pixel-ated too.

looked ok for XP, icon looks poor on vista.

--------
    running panda on my vista, its ok ... not bad at all, and cheap too

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125047

--------

and a note to dr.web (hi serge :) ), hurry up and get that vista version ready :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  21. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

How is Panda's detection?

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

panda is weird, it found a similar amount to dr.web, but it renamed loads.

still, its taking care of things, it doesnt slow down anything, and on vista, its hard to see what process is running, maybe 1 at most, but still cant tell which is panda.

its doing its job, and is only a couple of pounds to buy at ebuyer.com, so id recommend it to anyone really.

still prefer my dr.web so they better hurry up with my vista version :D

but this panda 2007, is a good substitute for sure.

23. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I agree, I have Panda on both boxes now since the DrWEB Anti-Spam renewal scandal and am pretty happy with it. Unless DrWEB comes up with some happy solution this may be how things stay here at the ranch...:shifty: :D

24. n8chavez

Has anyone seen the minimum requirement for disk space? It's crazy. No AV in the world should take 150 mrg. I know, that might not be the space used, but it is a lot higher than 8.5 meg with Dr Web.

25. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

It's a bit on the big size but those Panda's get to be pretty big when full grown...:eek: :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.