Which one should I go with? KIS or NOD32 + Comodo?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have NOD32 plus Comodo but currently am giving Kapersky Internet security a try. I like the email scanning features of KIS as well as its firewall. But I also have liked NOD32. Comodo is ok but seems a little annoying at times. Which of these two choices is better?

I have considered going back to the NOD32/Comodo combo and using the free on demand Mwave scanner (which from what I understand has a Kaspersky engine?). But I just wish there was another firewall to use. Actually if there was some way to use the Kaspersky firewall and NOD32 AV I think I would be set.

Any suggestions as to which is the better set-up? Or is there a better firewall to use with NOD32? I guess I could wait for NOD32 III to come out which is supposed to have a firewall built in. But that could be a while yet.

Thanks

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I just recently turned to KIS6 after some soul searching and hard decision because almost everyone and their cousin speak very highly also of NOD32 and report excellent results as you will soon read in this thread from those satisfied loyal users.

I really like and now favor highly KIS6 and even am running Kerio 2.15 in combo as if that's really needed which it probably isn't but i am a steel wall fanatic when it comes to internet network in & outs. KIS6 demands you pull COMODO out or it refuses to install, so ok, let's see what you got KIS6 right?

I ran a series of leak tests at KIS6 and it easily passed them all except one which oddly enough Process Guard (free) intercepted anyway in spite of no noise from SSM which also runs in tandem with these. BTW, the one that escaped used some method to try to sneak thru another process to get to IE and is why PG sniffed it out because it's no firewall of course.

I can only offer my own experiences and results which i find completely satisfactory with KIS6, as it's totally stable and really is easy on my system compared to some others i have tried such as BitDefender, Avast, Avira Anti-Vir etc. all of which are good AV's, but KIS6 trumped them all so i am sticking with it as long as it holds up it's end as well as it's doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2007
  3. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Some time back, I was also using KIS and after few days my computer was dull and got virus too.

Than I gave a try to PC Cillin suite, it worked well for more than 2 mnths, but again speed down.

Now I am using NOD32 + Comodod + Spybot S D, not my computer is like anything, booting fast, everything fast and protected from everything.

4. asyland

asyland Registered Member

I tried KIS 6 a while back, and liked it very much. In the end however, I went with NOD, as it ran a bit lighter on my system, I realize everyone's mileage may vary. I too grew a bit tired of Comodo, so I went with LnS. If you're suffering from pop-up fatigue from Comodo, you might try running it without the component control as some have suggested in other threads (don't have them handy at the moment). Anyway, while one may be better for you, I don't think that it can be said that one is more effective than the other, they're both great solutions.

5. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Which one should you go with is your choice, you're going to get alot of different answers with that question.

I use both NOD32 and KIS, as for Comodo, that won't touch any PC of mine.

Again, the best thing to do is try both programs and see for yourself.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

both combos are great you have to decide what you like more.
    im building a computer for myself soon and nod32 and a good firewall will go on that pc while my main pc atm has kis6.0.
    lodore

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

acr1965 - What is annoying to you in Comodo? I have it running on auto and am barely aware of it except for the occasional pop up.

8. btman

btman Registered Member

Ummm why?

For the topic starter... if you like Comodo I'd go with KAV and Comodo.

Theres a work-around if you want it just say so... I have KIS and Comodo running fine.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Personally, I don't think you are better protected with one or the other. It boils down to which combination works better on your system, and how one feels about suites vs stand alone applications. It may very well be that one will not run trouble free for a very long period of time. This is especially true when new versions or major upgrades occur, and the inevitible problems that some will experience when that happens.

I have just started using a suite, F-Secure, and I find no objection to it so far. ON the other hand I liked the stand alone applications, and think they provide more flexibility. It would make sense to me that a suite would run better since all modules would have been designed to work in harmony. I am not sure that is the case, however.

Since I have recently had problems with KAV 6, and am not having problems with NOD the choice would be easy for me. HOwever, KL will get the problems I experienced straightened out in time, and then the choice would be 6 of one and half-dozen with the other. They are both GREAT AVs, and are always among the top ones. Maybe one might see if the prices are much different, and other things being equal that might be the tie breaker.

I grew up not with, "If you have to ask you can't afford it." but instead with, "A fool and his money are soon parted." That is the way I still look at it.:D :D Not that I always do the best thing.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

JerryM - I agree that a suite should run well together as the manufacturer would have configured the modes to run together. However as we see in ZA, it doesn't always pan out that way. That's why I returned to a stand alone set up. However, I would look really hard at a suite from ESET. I'm presently using NOD32 w/Comodo, and they work really well together. :)

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Probably the pop-ups more than anything, though not their frequency. I think Comodo has a hard time remembering rules. Also, sometimes a pop-up warning will name a program I know I am not running. The KIS anti-hacker firewall is really nice. I just wish there were some way to run it alongside NOD32.

Is there someplace to download only the Kapersky firewall? The people at Kapersky tell me they will not sell it separate. IIRC- Defender Pro uses the Kapersky AV and firewall, although v5. Has anyone been able to get Defender Pro and only download the firewall component?

I am alright with Comodo but it seems to have a few quirks in it yet. Funny how my spell checker asks to replace Comodo with comode.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

acr1965: it's probably related to Application Behaviour Analysis. Go to advanced- Application Behaviour Analysis- Configure. There you will se what it does, and if you want it.
    The message isn't different, or if it looks the same, something is different. This is the monitor that raises doubts in the pop-ups, myself included. Even though i don't see them much anymore, because all rules are done. It only pops for IE, MS Word etc:D

13. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

That stinks.

:'(

:eek:

14. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I don't have any experience with KIS so I can't speak to that topic. But a number of people in this forum that are much more computer savvy than me really like it. I would imagine that it is a really solid product.

My experience with NOD32 has been great. Comodo Pro Firewall has also run well on my system. I like this combo. When Comodo releases their Firewall that will have full hips functionality and supposedly some sort of Sandbox application, it plus NOD should provide all the protection you need.

This new version fo Comodo is dues out in the March-April time period. I am wondering if Comodo can successfully pull this off. It is a huge undertaking. I am anxious to see it.

Back to your original question. I think either option is a good one. Determine what is important to you, then try both and see which one delivers what you want.

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks but not really necessary since KIS6 firewall does very well on it's own for me.

I can speak just as highly for KIS6 as the NOD32 loyals can attest to their choice because, at least on my XP Pro SP1, KIS6 runs very light and is the very reason why it impressed me over the likes of Avira Anti-Vir, BitDefender and some others which all exhibited at some point a tendency to "bog" down my systems rapid response. If you're sensitive to your table top/laptop model as i am mine you can identify the differences as soon as they begin, and for me that is simply not acceptable.

Now with KIS6, it can also run stable along side SSM. Snoopfree, ProcessGuard, AVG 7.5 "Guard", and i can run On-Demand A2Squared and a whole host of others without experiencing any problems.

I'm also equally confident NOD32 performs nearly the same but you will not dare get a "performs better" out of my reply while KIS6 is protecting the house here now. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.