Windows users that need to alter a Linux Partition

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by djg05, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

This might upset the Linux geeks but I really cannot handle all the command line stuff. This really about using the tools you have to hand to achieve an object.

I installed Ubuntu recently and realised that I might have made the partitions too small. There was space at the front of the disk that I wanted to move it into. Tried doing this from the live CD but it was not possible.

Thought then that I could save the image, make the alterations, and restore the image. Well the only Linux imaging program is Partimage and being command line based is way too complex for me. So thinking laterally I used Acronis TI to make an image from its boot system.

Having created an image I then wondered what would happen if I used the free Paragon Hard Disk Manager. To my surprise I was able to enlarge and move the Linux partition to a new position and at the same time enlarge the Swap partition.

Rebooted into Ubuntu and after some disk checking and rebooting it loaded up just fine.

Maybe there is a way to do this in Linux but it is just so simple and straightforward from Windows.

Hope this might be a solution for some in a similar position.

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Well here is what I do (for those who don't want to buy software like Acronis, and do everything from linux that is)

All of these tools are available on the sysrescue Live CD, and this is recommended since none of your partitions are mounted, thus the disk isn't being used and it's much much safer

1) Image using ntfsclone see this (if it is ntfs) or partimage (which really isn't command line, but command line interface, what I mean by this is that you type partimage, then a GUI appears)

2) Backup the partition table and the MBR (a step forgotten by most people, and if you don't do it, you are SOL beause your images are worthless)

Code:
    # sfdisk -d /dev/sda > /whateverYourBackupDirectoryIs/sfdisk-sda.dump
    # dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 of=/whatEverYourBackupDirectoryIs/sda.mbr
    3) Then, I use GParted, which is incredibly user friendly and powerful. It is fully GUI orientated and works quite well.

4) Reboot, and crack open a case of your favorite beverage :D

5) If an error occurs, I just restore everything, then I back to the original steps.

However, if your hard-disk has bad sectors :doubt: (like one of mine), then it gets much more complicated for resizing the ntfs (windows) partition. See here for the resizing (follow the command line steps)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I use my PCLOS liveCD, simple, fast, total GUI :)

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Glad you posted the alternative and correct way of doing it. Now there is a choice of methods.

If I had to do it again I would prefer my method since I am in compfortable territory.

To be honest, I did not expect it to work and was surprised when it did. Now I should see if it will restore from Windows.

Partimage is a sort of DOS type GUI and to me not that simple to use.

At the end of the day it is a question of looking in your toolbox and seeing what you have available. Not using the correct method does not make it right or wrong, it is the result that counts.

I should add that I used all free software, albeit that it was originally commercial

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

To each his own ;)
    Very true, and since both work, then whoever follows them are good to go (although I don't know if Acronis TI backs up the partition table and MBR, some problems could come if it doesn't)
    Is Acronis TI free now o_O , nevermind, I assume you used version 7 which they offered for free. I guess I should change my opening to using all open-source software, since your approach is also free.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

No TI is paid for and I did use that but I also have a free copy of Paragon which they put out a short while ago and that does imaging plus partitioning.

I am not trying to discredit Linux just showing that it is possible by other means.

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

Is that the same a PCLinux? If not have you a link to it.

Assuming they are the same I see on the site that the latest ver has been delayed. What version are you using and is it stable?

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Yes its PCLinuxOS.

I'm using version .93a MiniMe, then added only the things I need plus repair tools, its lite & fast. Yes its very stable !

After I got everything set the way I wanted I made a re-mastered LiveCD. I can take my LiveCD with me anywhere and use it on any PC and its like I'm home :)

I'm still waiting for the 2007 release......

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

For the record I restored both the MBR and the partition from Windows and it booted up fine in Ubuntu. I made an image both with Paragon and TI, but used the latter to restore as it was running. I am sure though that Paragon would have worked just as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.