Uninstalling other products - essential?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Just a quickie, how essential is it to fully uninstall one security suite before testing another? I want to try Norton 2007, but I don't really want to uninstall KIS. Can I just leave KIS installed, but disable it from starting with Windows, to try out other apps? Could this have any effect on performance or boot up times, for the 'active' suite?

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i wouldnt recommend at all, please un-install current suite first.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well i would advise aganist just turning off the guard and stop it from loading.
    i have read quite alot of threads on the kaspersky forum trying kis6.0 and just stopping norton loading and startup and it doesnt go well.....
    so just uninstal kis6.0 for now or test it on another pc.
    lodore

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Security suites install drivers, services and hooks everywhere. They "own" your system and don´t like the presence of another app trying to hook/install driver, etc.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you could use FirstDefence to revert back to your current setup within a quick reboot, but this would still mean you still have to un-install kaspersky internet security > then install norton etc etc, you can then run FD with norton still install to revert you back to your kaspersky setup.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I suspect that KIS will not install until you remove Norton, but I am not sure. It is not a good idea to have both on the system anyway.

Best,
    Jerry

7. Simon6776

I think that's a resounding 'No', then. Thanks guys! :thumb:

8. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I don't know about KIS, but I had Bitdefender free and Avira Classic free installed. I just don't have them loaded at the same time.

Running these programs simultaneously will always cause problems. If there aren't dll conflicts, there certainly will be memory problems.

To have several extra AV programs installed, make sure that only one is loading up. To do this, you have to check your task manager (or Sysinternals Process Explorer) to see what executable files the AV program is running. Then do a "services.msc command (start - run) and check what services the AV program is running.

When you want to run the other AV program as an on-demand scanner:

1 - Manually download the update of the 2nd AV program (or wait until it loads upon reboot and then update)
    2 - Unplug from the net
    3 - Stop the services that your current AV program uses and change the start up type to "manual or disabled". To be sure it won't load, use "disabled".
    4 - Change the start-up services of the 2nd AV program to "auto or manual"
    To be certain it run, use "Auto". You can play around with it at a later date and see what works for you.
    5 - Restart the computer
    6 - Ensure that the primary AV program's exe files haven't loaded by checking the tast manager. If they have, close them. Since the services haven't started, their processes should end quickly.
    7 - If the 2nd AV program hasn't automatically loaded, then run it and upgrade. Don't forget to connect to the net again.
    8 - Scan with the 2nd AV program.

To use your primary AV program again, just reverse the procedure.

Now will this work for McAfee or Norton? I'm not sure since they load so many files. With most of the others it will. Just make sure the services are closed and exe files are closed for one program and there shouldn't be any conflicts.

It sounds like a lot of effort, but once you get the hang of it, the whole thing doesn't take more than a minute or so.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  9. Simon6776

Thanks you for that in depth explanation. I don't actually want to run two AV programs, I was just looking for a short cut, and wanted to avoid having to reinstall KIS if Norton doesn't work out, as it would save starting out from scratch again, but I have just realised, KIS can save settings after uninstallation (presumably providing you don't run some sort of clean up utility), so it's not so much of a problem.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or you can go to settings,service and use the save button under configaration manager to save the settings to a folder on your pc and if you want to go back to kis6.0 then you can just go back to the configaration and this time click load.
    lodore

11. Simon6776

Oh, that's useful, thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.