ATI Universal Restore to laptop?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rococo, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rococo

rococo Registered Member

Hi,

I have downloaded and installed build 3832 of ATI 9.1 Server for Windows. I also purchased the Universal Restore option and downloaded it 2 days ago (don't know what build it is, as the "My Products" page on acronis.com doesn't mention it).

Should I be able to restore to a laptop? Is that even possible?

Here is what I have:

PowerEdge 4400 Server (it's a Windows Small Business Server 2003 with SP1 box, so it's my DC, Exchange server, SQL server, etc.) with PERC 2/DC and RAID5:
    on 'channel0' (internal channel) of the PERC 2/DC I have 'Virtual Disk 0' (6 physical hard drives inside the 4400, and this is where the operating system resides);
    on 'channel1' I have 'Virtual Disk 1 ' which is an external PowerVault (an enclosure of 8 physical hard drives connected to channel 1 externally through SCSI, and this is where I store huge graphics files)

Here's what I did:
    1. Installed build 3832 and Universal Restore.
    2. In ATI, I clicked "Backup," selected "The entire disk contents or individual partition" option and put a checkmark in "Disk 1" only (this is my operating system Disk) and it automatically selected all the partitions under "Disk 1": C:, E:, G:; I did NOT select "Disk 2", the huge storage PowerVault. I just wanted the operating system and databases to be imaged.
    3. stopped SQL, Exchange, netlogon, ntfrs
    4. Waited for snapshot to be made.
    5. started back SQL, Exchange, netlogon, ntfrs
    6. image creation and verification are successful
    7. created bootable rescue media with Universal Restore - Full
    8. Booted laptop Compaq nx9600 (P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, one 70GB IDE hard drive) to the Acronis CD.
    9. Verified image archive successfully. Image is on USB hard drive.
    10. Restored image successfully, but was never asked for any drivers or anything.
    11. Machine reboots, I see the black "Windows Server 2003" screen for a few seconds, then blue screen:
    0x0000007B (0xF789EA94, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    The blue screen is on for 2-3 seconds, the machine reboots and starts over with the Windows Server 2003 logo, then blue screen...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Rococo

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rococo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that you should get the window of the Restore Backup Wizard which allows you to select "Use Acronis Universal Restore" or "Do not use Acronis Universal Restore" when you boot your computer from Acronis True Image Bootable CD created with Acronis Universal Restore plug-in installed (check chapter 6.3.11 "Using Acronis Universal Restore" of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows User's Guide for details).

A possible reason why this windows does not appear is that Acronis Universal Restore did not recognize the operating system, which you backed up. In order to investigate this issue we will need some additional information.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post on the system you backed up.

Please also clarify if you select to restore the entire hard drive or only system partition?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please note that Acronis Suport Team will provided you with a special version of Acronis Universal Restore to get the log for troubleshooting.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. lostfox1

lostfox1 Registered Member

Rococo,

You are having the same issue as me just diff. hardware. do a search on "Compaq Proliant 5500" and you will see my issue. If you try to do a UR (Universal Restore) on another type of Hardware and do not get the option asking to use UR it will fail. The image completes but you will blue screen every time do to the HAL being diff. I am trying to get the new ver. or build 3858 of ATIS. I don't know if this will work or not but the current build 3854 does not! Hope this helps you in finding your answer. If you do please let me know what you find and i will do the same.

Lostfox1:ninja:

4. Boudens

Boudens Registered Member

Is there a solution for this problem ?

I have exactly the same problem.

Backup and Restore with UR seems to run fine.
    But after rebooting the system the server halts with "STOP 0x0000007B ..." like in the first thread.

Thx in Advance
    Steffen

5. Acronis Support

Hello Boudens,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of both Acronis True Image and respective version of Acronis Universal Restore. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the issue persists, please follow instructions in Aleksandr's post.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. Boudens

I just try to restore the system partition on a new RAID5 (SAS).

When i use the Windows 2003 Boot CD with the RAID Controller on a 3,5 disk i can use the recovery console and can try to repair the "damaged" windows installation. so all seems to be fine.

but i bought the universal restore addon to solve exactly this issue and don't need to repair my windows installation.

it seems that UR doesn't fully replace the new raid controller driver.

so any hint ?

thx in advance
    steffen

7. Boudens

I just tried to repair the corrupted system with the repair installation of the windows 2003 SBS cd and this works fine.

So why can't UR replace the needed controller drivers ?

A repair installation is no solution for me.

thx
    Steffen

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  8. Acronis Support

Hello Boudens,

Please note that as I mentioned in the my first post in such cases additional investigation is required. Thus, please do the following:

1) Create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer (the one you restored) from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

2) If it is possible please use digital camera to make a picture of the error you received or let us know the exact text of the error message.

3) Please also collect Windows registry data from the target and source system the way described in this post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.