Cannot install any TrueImage edition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thany, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thany

thany Registered Member

I really can't. Every single edition I tried says the installation was interrupted an I need to restart the installer to try again.

I tried:
    - TrueImage 9 Workstation
    - TrueImage 9 Enterprise Server
    - TrueImage 9.1 Workstation
    - TrueImage 10 Home

Every one of them give the same error:
    http://thany.org/screenshots/Screenshot1173.png

My configuration:
    Athlon64 X2 4400+
    2GB RAM
    Plenty of space
    Windows XP x64 SP1 fully updated

2. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Registered Member

I too am having the same problem. I just re-installed my computer from a complete format and full installation of Win XP Home. Everything works fine, but when it comes to installing the Arconis True Image 10 (upgrade) i get the same error. Installation was interrupted please re-start the intaller.

I have tried 5 times, even after rebooting and making sure no other program is running in the background.
    Any ideas on how to fix this, or what is causing this error??

If we cannot even get the program installed, how reliable are the back-ups going to be?? I am scared alreday...

=================
    My configuration:
    ATHLON XP 2800+
    1GB RAM
    160 GB Hardrive, only used 8GB (fresh install of XP)
    ATI RADEON 9800-Pro Video Card
    Windows XP SP2 Home Edition Version 2002, fully updated

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I am not positive about this, but it sounds to me like this may not be an Acronis issue but instead some type of corruption with your windows installer. I have seen this type of thing before with Adobe products not installing on a clients computer and found I had to completely remove and re-install the latest version of MS windows installer to resolve the problem. You might want to give that a try and see if it resolves your installation issue. Check the MS downloads page to find the latest windows installer downloads.

4. thany

thany Registered Member

Windows installer is fine. I can install other MSI's just fine.

5. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

As I said I have seen other computers where only a specific vendors MSI files would not install, in that case it was Adobe products that would not install such as what is mentioned in this thread, while other MSI files worked fine. Anyway good luck with it.

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

If you downloaded those programs, it could be a faulty download.

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

does, ATI 9/10 require SP2?

8. Steve-TX

Steve-TX Registered Member

I had the same problem last weekend and I received this fix from d.chatten, it work for me as it has for others. Give it a try.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by d.chatten
    I've had this issue withother software, you could try this, go to My Comuter > C:\ > Documents and Settings > Your Name > Local Settings > Temp, and delete all the files and folders in the temp folder, this sometimes works when there are issues such as this.

You will have to show hidden files and folders to be able to do this, to show hidden files and folders click on the Tools tab at the top of the window in My Computer and sellect Folder Options > View and from the list make shure there is a check mark next to Show hidden files and folders and click OK.

It's worth a try.

9. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

On a previous system of mine, I had a similar problem, which I resolved by using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, which Atomic_Ed has already referenced above. Worth a try, IMO.

Doug

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  10. barnesy

barnesy Registered Member

Having similar problems under W98SE. Obtained (paid for) ATI 9 several weeks ago but have yet to get it properly installed after numerous frustrating attempts and crashes.

Initial install was followed by crash (Windows blue screen). At the time it was difficult to tell whether this was associated with the install or followed it, but ATI appeared to be OK after the restart. When it would not run correctly, attempted to remove through Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs) but ATI 9 was not present on the program list.

Attempted a re-install from ATI installer which progessed to near the end (I think) and then just hung. Could only recover with a reset, which then leaves ATI install incomplete. Appears then in CP Add/Remove list, but removal using Add/Remove Programs does nothing. Removal using the ATI 9 installer fails as well - it also just hangs!

Have cleared out the Temp directory and attempted all of the above install/removal/re-install approaches with all the same problems.

I am left in a situation where I now cannot install ATI 9; I cannot repair the part-install and I cannot uninstall it - either with ATI installer or Add/Remove.:mad:

In the 5 years the system has been running, I have never experienced software causing as many problems as I've encountered with the ATI9 installation in the past several weeks. Is there some way to clear it out completely, including the registry, and maybe start over?

I had planned to use it to backup, prior to a copy to a larger HDD and an OS upgrade, but the failure to even install leaves me feeling very sceptical about using it for such critical tasks.

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Sometimes the installer gets confused aobut which files belong top which program -- many have the same names. It's a Wndows thing.

sh

12. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I'd recommend deleting the Acronics directories under Program Files, Program files\Common Files, and Documents and setting\allusers\application
    data\Acronis.

Remove strings with "turimage" or "Acronis" in them in the registry.

Stop you antivirus/security suite software.
    The try to install.

Installation problems are common with Win--if you've never had an issue before, count yourself among the few and the lucky.

If you haven't updated to SP2, reconsider doing so. The security and bug fixes in SP2 vs SP1 are too numerous to mention.

sh

13. thany

thany Registered Member

I hope not, as SP2 doesn't exist yet for Windows x64.
    Sorry, that didn't solve it.
    Funny, that you need to *install* an *installer cleanup* utility. Either way, it didn't help.
    Did that, no solution.
    I think I'll skip that. I'm too stubborn and too careful to disable antivirus. Acronis is not a virus, so it should simply work with scanner enabled.

All in all, I haven't been able to solve it yet... is there some kind of log that I can view? Maybe a logfile with reveal the REAL problem, since the message the installer shows looks to be a very general one.

14. Steve-TX

Steve-TX Registered Member

I am not sure if a log / progress file is generated during the install process but you could make note of the start clock time of your install and the clock time at failure then use Find to locate all of the files that were changed / added during that period. Using an editor like Notepad or UltraEdit, see if you can locate any usable information.

At anyrate, I hope you do post the solution here when you find it.

Best of luck,

Steve-TX

15. thany

thany Registered Member

Yes, well, it works now. I guess doing nothing is more effective than one would think. I blame MSI. I've never seen it be a good choice of installer systems.

16. Argyll

Argyll Registered Member

I've just purchased the CD today and I'm getting the same problem. The demo worked like a charm and convinced me to buy the program - what a dumb ass! I have been using Windows since it was released and computers for over 25 years and this is only the second time this problem has come up. The last one was a security issue caused by Microsoft and I think this one is the same. To say that I am pissed off with Acronis would be putting it mildly so hey guys get your act together and get thsi fixed before your reputation gets flushed down the toilet! For support :thumbd:
    I've seen the following so many times I'm beginning to think I designed it.

Attached Files:

17. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Have you tried the suggestion in post #8 in this thread. That seems to have solved it for everyone else :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=871032&postcount=8

F.

18. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

@Argyll,

For this issue in the recent past i have recommended doing the following, it has worked for a few people on this forum with this very issue.

Go to My Comuter > C:\ > Documents and Settings > Your Name > Local Settings > Temp, and delete all the files and folders in the temp folder, this sometimes works when there are issues such as this.

You will have to show hidden files and folders to be able to do this, to show hidden files and folders click on the Tools tab at the top of the window in My Computer and sellect Folder Options > View and from the list make shure there is a check mark next to Show hidden files and folders and click OK.

ATI should now install OK without any problems.

Hope this helps!

19. Argyll

Argyll Registered Member

Thanks mate - I'll give it a try in the morning when the head is a bit clearer (after midnight here). I have a feeling that it's Windows Defender that's causing the problem. I've checked the logs and it looks like Acronis is installing some form of spyware (Defender thinks so anyway) and is stopping it being installed on Win 64 - the times in the log look pretty much like the times I tried installing the program. If your tip doesn't work I'll disable defender and see if that does the trick.

20. Argyll

Argyll Registered Member

I've tried both deleting all of the files in the temp folder and disabling Windows Defender but it's a no go. I'd say this is a security thing with Windows. There was a problem with Quicktime 7.1X recently that prevented it from being installed. Microsoft did a change to their security (I think) with the result that the program will now install without any problems. I think the guys at Acronis need to fix this on FAST!

21. aggiemom07

aggiemom07 Registered Member

I am having the same problems. Have seen the "problem with installation, you must restart" thing way too many times. My disk is for Acronis True Image v8.0 and I have recently installed Windows 64 bit on my computer. Now I can't get Acronis to install. I have deleted temp files, cookies, etc. Am at a loss for what to do next. o_O

22. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Does v8 work happily with 64 bit XP?

I'm not sure that it will.

Note to Argyll:
    Sorry, I was replying to aggiemom (the thread appropriator :) ) who has 64bit XP and only TI 8

Colin

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  23. Argyll

Argyll Registered Member

I have V9.0 and it does work on Win 64 only it won't install, so whether or not it works is academic. Deleting all the files, including hidden ones, in the user Temp folder doesn't work on Win 64.

24. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Never had a problem installing version 9, but when I tried installing version 10 I got the same problem. :doubt:

Tried it several times, but no go.
    Finally it worked, but I had to disable all applications and non-essential background processes.

It didn't work on the first try, but after a while it took and installed without getting an error. :)

I wonder what happened for that installer not to complete the installation process. :rolleyes:

25. Argyll

Argyll Registered Member

How do you tell what are the essential background processes? I have over 40 running and while I identify some, mostly I can't. This is something Acronis should be sorting out - it's their software and hence their problem. If you buy a new car you expect to drive it out of the showroom not push it down the road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.