TI9 Build 3677 Lock-Up

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ColinH, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColinH

ColinH Registered Member

Good morning,

I am using TI9 build 3677 Home version, to backup across a wired network from a Win Xp SP2 box, via a router to another Win XP SP2 box.

The backup is always successful and can be verifyed by the Validation tool. If I then do a differential backup, it shows up correctly, says the job is successful and shows as a valid archive in the pictorial part of the scren when I select the Validation tool.
    However, I can't validate it, as each and every time I try, the system runs for about 15 seconds and then locks up solid. The only way to recover, is a hard re-set by the Power Switch!

I have tried deleting all my existing backups, (by moving them to another folder,) re-creating a backup and a direrential backup,but the same thing happens each and every time.

The only 'unusual' thing in the setup, is that the destination computer has a Raid-1 array, on a SiS chipset.

Has anyone any advise of what to try next?

Many thanks,

Colin

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Colin

Boot the "destination" box from the TI boot CD and see if you can validate from within the Linux shell.

I know that this is not a viable ongoing solution, I am just trying to see if the backup will validate without the complexity of the network and Windows.

3. ColinH

ColinH Registered Member

Thanks,
    I will try that as soon as I can shut the box down and post again.

Regards,

Colin

4. ColinH

ColinH Registered Member

Good evening,

Have this evening been able to shut down the destination box and that validates to 'tib' file just fine.

It would appear it's something in the wired network/connected computer as I tried it on my work notebook, which is connected by WiFi over the same network and that also validated the file.
    As it's for work, I had to remove TI from the notebook, more's the pity.

Tried the main computer again, it creates the archive fine, will mount/unmount the volume just fine, but will not verify the files on the destination computer - just locks up solid.

My next step, is to try another router/switch, if I can borrow one from work to replace mine.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Many thanks,

Colin

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Before you try another Router/Switch you may want to look at several items that may have different setups between the wired network and the wireless network.

1. Firewall (software). Is the Firewall configured to protect the wireless network? If not then wireless communications may be occuring without the intervention of the Firewall, which may indicate a Firewall setting on the wired network. In addition, even if the Firewall is configured for both wired and wireless networks the settings may be quite different between the two.

2. Firewall (hardware). If you Router also incorporates an ADSL modem then it is likely that it would have an SPI Firewall. See (1) above.

3. AntiVirus. If you AV is active in RealTime (which it should be) then ask the same questions as is (1) above.

If you suspect that either (1) or (3) above may be the problem then:-

* Disconnect from the Internet
    * Disable the software Firewall and AV from startup
    * Restart
    * Check that the Firewall and AV have not started
    * Test

If the problem is still not resolved then investigate the settings on the Router Firewall.

6. ColinH

ColinH Registered Member

OK, thanks,

That'll keep me going for a while!

There is obviously something different, as a backup job works just fine, so there is something communicating backwards/forwards that is different during a verify.

I'll try your suggestions, thanks again,

Colin

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ColinH,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Alonge with Tabvla suggestions could you please do the following?

- Create a file based backup (of a small file/folder);

- Store it to the network shared folder;

- Try to validate this backup archive and let us know the results.

Please create Windows System Information on both computers as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also make a screen shot of the Device Tree application:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application;

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot;

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.