CA Antivirus 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

This is the brand new version of the old EZ Trust Antivirus. I was so tempted to try it, but between not seeing a lot of positive responses about it and not finding any true comparitive tests on it, I decided to stick with AOL AVS. It certainly sounds good when reading about it's features on the web site with all that is mentioned there, new user interface, heuristics, low resource usage, ect... Yet where can you find any proof on it's detection rate? I will keep it on my desktop for another day or so in case anyone can convince me it is worth using over AVS, or for that matter AVG Free, but I doubt this will happen.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

CA's 2006 av was pretty good for the average user, plus a person could get it free so it don't get much better than that. I haven't used the new version 8 long enough to make a valid opinion on it. Overall i'd have to say ca's av is better than avg i just don't like ca's user interface. If you want a free, light av then try ca av, download the latest version 8 and get a free license from microsofts website. You can't beat free!

3. richo

richo Registered Member

Tried it & found it was no longer as "light" as the previous version. Better to stick with AOL AVS. This version is a major step backwards.

4. duke1959

Thanks for the input. I just thought the heuristics would be nice to have. I may eventually go back to Antivir and use Spyware Terminator as my real time AntiSpyware. AVS has Spyware protection already, and I think it is enough, but I just like ST and it will soon have Fast User Switching for people with more than one account. CA seems nice from what their web site promotes, but if the interface isn't that appealing and it is no longer as light, well than I see no reason to use it. So thanks to both of you again. Maybe others will dispute this and claim they love CA, but that's my point. I don't hear this, or read much about this AV on the web.

5. farmerlee

Yeah i guess with the added features there was no way it was ever going to be as light. Still for a freebie its pretty good.

6. duke1959

Yes I will agree on that farmerlee. have you ever seen a comparison test or review on CA?

7. farmerlee

No i think ca av 2007 is too new at the moment. There hasn't been an av test done since its release i guess. Hopefully in a few weeks another test will have been done which will include it. We'll see if what CA claims about this new version is true.

8. duke1959

Thanks. i just posted about Comodo Firewall and AOL AVS having self protection against malware attacks. Does CA have this I wonder?

9. farmerlee

I actually went back and had a look at its resource use and it doesn't appear to be using much more than the old version 7. It still appears to be quite light imo.

10. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

recently pc-mag had a review of CA IS 2007 and they very satisfied with the AV.
    But surprise surprise,they no longer use zone-alarm's firewall..

11. duke1959

ZA, what a shame for that Firewall. Just one look in the Zone Labs Forum makes me even more greatful to be using Comodo Firewall. I just now have to settle on n Antivirus and quit playing around. I like AVS and can't see changing, but CA is looking more inviting with some of these posts. I do still wonder if there is a custom install so you can exclude E-Mail protection like with AVG Free and Avast? I liked something about each of those two, but have excluded them for good now. Antivir is truly my favorite along with AVS, and I read how to use Secret Administrator in Safe Mode to block Notifier Window, but the fact that I hve to do something like that has me thinking of keeping AVS, or using CA. So thanks so far to everyone. Legendkiller, what PC mag was the review in?

12. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Why should anyone be surprise? It only makes more business sense to use technology from a company you acquired otherwise it would not be profitable. Imagine dumping a techology away after you acquired it. Its like dumping your DVD-rom drive after acquiring a new PC. ZL's not going to loose out alot because they only sold the engine and they don't get additional profits for every copy of eTrust Firewall sold.

Who knows ZL may decide to use another AV engine in the future. Currently Check Point (ZL's parent company) and Kaspersky have a deal together whereby Kaspersky is providing their AV engine to one of Check Point's enterprise product:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus_for_checkpoint_firewall-1

If the relationship is good, we might just see KAV's AV engine on ZA one day. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  13. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Is CA Antivirus 2007 unable to work under Windows XP Home with limited account? it cannot be automatically/manually updated on my limited account, if so, then what a great antivirus with poor detection rates and poor designing. :p

:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Attached Files:

14. Arin

Arin Registered Member

CA Anti-Virus 2007 recently changed the engine version to 30.4.1.0 and
    the database version to 3114. I think its a good AV for safe surfers. The
    memory usage is around 12MB on my computer.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't like it. Interface is not that nice and it causes my war machine to lag occasionally. Version 7 was sweet, simplistic and cool interface and zero lagz.

16. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Hmm... there was an engine upgrade when 8.1 was released. Anyway,
    another example of what-works-for-me-doesn't-work-for-others.

17. duke1959

AMRX,do you remeber if CA had a custom install so you didn't have to install E-mail if you didn't want to?

18. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Nope, its not like Avira. But you can disable the e-mail scanner. In that
    case the icon will turn into a ugly one. Its the same with the older versions
    also. The installation was a breeze and I didn't notice any system instability
    after installing it. Its a very good AV for safe surfers. You can give it a try.

As AOL AVS is using the latest KAV engine, its hard to beat. The updates are
    smaller where the first update for CA was around 10MB. The features are
    same for both but detectionwise AOL AVS is far better.

Check the ICSA certification page.

CA not only detects but also cleans the viruses.

19. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Legendkiller, do you happen to know which firewall they are using now?

20. Arin

Arin Registered Member

CA purchased Tiny firewall.

21. duke1959

Thanks AMRX, I will stay with AVS for now. I really like it, and need to stop trying different software anyway. Take care.

22. RickUK

RickUK Registered Member

Hi

Interesting stuff that you guys have written. My free eTrust AV subscription should keep going for another year. And I like it. It is light on system resources. Do I need to take up the offer of the free upgrade or can I keep plodding on with my light eTrust? I guess I'll remain up to date for viruses, right?

Regards
    RickUK

23. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Yes you should go for the free upgrade.

24. farmerlee

Yeah the free license works fine with the new version 8. Its got some nice improvements so go right ahead and upgrade for free!

25. duke1959

Although I'm back to using Antivir PE, I tried CA recently and just didn't like the interface. I'm picky though, and it should be fine for most people. I do however, need to add that the latest release of AVG Free is improved with better Polymorphic Virus Detetection, and better Virus removal. Just a thought, as I have always liked AVG (even the Interface), and believe it will keep improving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.