Sandboxie 2.60 issues

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Seishin, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Only wanted to use it for 'shopping expeditions' on Firefox (no problems) and to visit Excite.mail (that only functions on IE with low security settings, so it can load 'tracking cookies').:mad:

Running IE in Sandboxie will result (after opening a few pages) in a first symptom of losing Bluetooth IntelliMouse (absolutely the only time this occurs) followed by a slowly freezing system, ending in a 'Hard Shutdown'. :thumbd:

2. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Sandboxie 2.60 will not work with Outlook 2007 Beta 2. You can't send and receive.

3. controler

controler Guest

Sandboxie with Bounceback

If you do not terminate sandboxed processes and delete contents you with crash with BounceBack !

con

4. SirMalware

SirMalware Registered Member

Does anyone have trouble with Sandboxie working with Opera 9.01? I get [#]Opera[#] on top, but with Firefox 1.5.0.7, looking in Process Explorer under firefox.exe, I see:

firefox.exe
    SandboxieRpcSs.exe
    SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe

When launching Sandboxie with Opera, looking in Process Explorer under Opera.exe, I do not see the two Sandboxie COM files loaded. (SandboxieRpcSs.exe and SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe) I just see Opera.exe alone. Is this normal?

5. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

IMO the latest version of Sandboxie conflicts with certain software. The previous version run flawlessly in this machine.

I had to reinstall Win again as Sandboxie hooks into the kernel.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Few months back I installed sandboxie and I was never able to run Opera in it. It will always freeze just after start up until I will kill it by task manager.
    I tried on two laptops wiyh XP Home and Pro with same results.

7. SirMalware

I believe it, however the author of this program claims that it does indeed work with Opera. Sandboxie will load Opera, you will get copied folders in the Sandbox, you will get the [#] brackets on top, but I don't believe it loads and runs Opera correctly. I get nothing but crashes and Process Explorer doesn't lie. Firefox and IE operate normally. I seriously think Tzuk has overlooked Sandboxie's compatibility with Opera. He may have got it to run ok with v8.54, but not v9.01. :(

8. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I have no problem running Opera 9.x in Sandboxie on a Windows XP SP2 system. Only added Bookmarks are getting lost because Sandboxie does not seam to recognice this change or what ever.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be some software conflicts. As a matter of fact when I installed Opera in a clean snapshot of XP Home without any other software installed, it worked. But In most of my RollBackRx snapshots it did not work and I failed to find the conflict. Tzuk suggested to gather some data but the procedure was so long that I did not get time to do it. I simply replaced it with GeSWall.

10. SirMalware

Tommy, do you get the two Sandboxie COM files (SandboxieRpcSs.exe and SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe) running in the background with Opera.exe?

I think I read that post over on his forum.

11. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Ups, you are right. These two files are not running when i launch Opera in Sandboxie. It shows only 'opera.exe' , declares it as sandboxed, I get [#]Opera[#] on top, and the directories and files are copied to the Sandbox TopLevel folder.

12. SirMalware

Good, this confirms my analysis. Which means that yes, Opera "works" on the surface, but not correctly like the other two browsers. (IE and Firefox) This is the point that I have been trying to convey to Tzuk.

13. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I confirmed you posting in the Sandboxie Forum, perhaps he will pay attention to this problem now, but still no reaction over there.

14. SirMalware

Thank you Tommy.

15. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Sandboxie version 2.62 Released

What's new:
    - Closed the small security hole, recently identified in the Tech Suppor Alert newsletter.
    - Delete Sandbox operation now renames sandboxed files and folders that are too long, making it possible to delete them.
    - Sandboxie Control now shows processes from all users in the same logon session, and fixed SandboxieRpcss/DcomLaunch to handle this scenario better.
    - Extended HarddiskVolume setting to support removable devices.
    - Fixed occasional error 233.
    - Fixed problems in SandboxieExplorer (occasionally crashed on close).
    - SandboxieIni configuration file can now include the UNICODE BOM prefix character, if desired.

and comment from @Tzuk regarding the Opera problem:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Not on my two systems, XP Home and Pro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.