F-Secure compared with other Av's ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tommy, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Are there some reliable sources regarding to the detecion quote of F-Secure compared with other Av's. Let's say against NOD32 or KAV?

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Re: Free F-Secure Anti-Virus 2006 licenz till 15.07.2007 [CHIP 08/06]

F-Secure uses KAV engine, though for spyware detection it uses Lavasoft Ad-Aware engine. Detection rates should be about the same level as Kaspersky.

See http://www.av-comparatives.org for reliable antivirus detection rates analysis

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Here ;) http://www.av-comparatives.org/ (Firecat beats me for few seconds ! ;)

@ Benvan45 : Well, Kav 2006 runs very light for me, unlike previous versions.

nicM

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

That sounds good. :thumb: , but the results AV-Comparitives not.

Just checked my F-Secure directory.
    118 MB (123,973,703 bytes) thats not little for a AV Programm.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Does it really mater in these days? C'mon, days of 5GB HDD's are over. 200GB drives are cheap like chips (literally).

6. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

No doesn't matter at all in these days. I am just surpriced about the 100MB it needs.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats because package contains all F-Secure products (Internet Security), while in this very case this serial unlocks only Antivirus.

8. waters

waters Registered Member

Just switched from antivir.This one runs just as light.Tried previous versions,and slowed system down too much.This is vast improvement.

9. Firecat

When Kaspersky releases new heuristics engine sometime this year, F-Secure will get it too.

You should look at the February 2006 On-Demand Comparative, which provides the results for signature based scanning. The May 2006 "Retrospective/Proactive" test is actually a test of the heuristics engine of the AV programs. Even KAV does not have very good heuristics at the moment.

F-Secure pretty much gets the same score as Kaspersky in the On-Demand Comparatives...;)

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why people still don't count Behavior blockers as heuristics? They are the same crap just in different wrapper. KAV6 Proactive Defense is no exception.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Because there is a difference between them .

Behaviour analyzer can catch only in real-time via learning what a file is doing and blocking it if it is playing evil/suspicious against the system

Heuristic analysis means it works both on-demand and in real-time . It not only analysis the file(and future activities) but also finds similar and new variants of already known infections

;)

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yadidadida, i know how they work. Results are what only matters to me.:rolleyes:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

about your comment on when kasperksy get there new heristic engine f-secure will get it to. thios is great news to me since i have f-secure

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I found it interesting that the basic F-Secure AV includes the Blacklight rootkit detector. I had thought that was only included with the suite.

Jerry

15. Firecat

I read that the KAV heuristics will reach the customers as part of standard updates (which would mean standard virus definition updates and not a new version of the program). In this case, basically, any program using KAV engine will get it.

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

i would not put my hands on Fire(cat) for that...

17. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

there was discussion of which AS engine does 2006 version uses and i found it to be ad-aware!
    moreover the license which we got from chip will extend to their 2007 product line as well.

18. Firecat

Well, let me check everything again :doubt:

When BitDefender released HIVE, everyone using the BD engine got it, including GDATA, TrustPort and BullGuard.

When Dr.Web updates its engine, Virus Chaser gets it too (though VC gets it a bit later because of additional testing by the VC development team)

It would seem that having a license to an engine entitles a product to have the entire core engine and detection capabilities. It would be strange (and wouldn't make business sense) if Kaspersky does not follow the same rule.

And even if Kaspersky does not release the heuristics engine as part of normal updates, we have seen in the past that F-Secure always uses the latest version of the Kaspersky engine (now F-Secure is using v6.0, just like KAV), which would mean that at least F-Secure will get the new heuristics engine pretty soon.

19. wawy

wawy Registered Member

hello,

do you get a link on f-secure website or other which give name and version of engines used by f-secure ? is it like for trustport ? do you chose engine taht you want to use ?

thank you. wawy.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No, result are different. Proactive defence is highly user dependent while file heuristics are not. For average user it is a great difference. However I don,t mind the names, if u call both as heuristics, no problem but the way they are used is different.

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No it's not. You're messing IDS with Behavior blockers. These aren't the same. First one will show you bunch of questions for every thing you do while behavior blockers won't. And it's no different if heuristics cause false positive or behavior blocker detects some actions which are in fact legitim.
    KAV6 is using Behavior blocker and i haven't seen it warn me for anything unless it was malicious. Same for TruPrevent.
    KAV6 warnings that are more common aren't from behavior blocker but from IDS parts (registry control, process injection and stuff like that).
    These are just "roadblocks", no different than any other IDS powered program, while real behavior blocker actually tracks every action done by some file and acts according to those actions.

22. Firecat

I believe that the F-Secure program itself displays the versions of the various engines used by it. The last time I checked, the KAV engine version was 6.0.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, i got it but I have little experience of its behaviour blocker. i could not find any thing good to test it.

24. .....

..... Registered Member

Except... the latest KAV Engine Version is 5.x :gack:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.