Acronis not opening

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by poppies, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poppies

poppies Registered Member

Installed Acronis 9 the lastest build on a reformatted PC.

When I double click it will not open. When Cntrl Alt delete it is listed and shows as nonresponsive when I end task.

Never had this happen before and don't really know what to look for, dont' know if it is my system or Acronis.

Have reinstalled twice.

2. janboX

janboX Registered Member

same happens to me on older motherboard with VIA chipset, I tried bulds 3625, and 3633 with same results. I also installed Acronis Drivers after that but no change :(

3. poppies

I had the trial installed (version before 3633) and got it to work. I lost my c: drive trying to recovery and reinstalled Windows. So it doesn't make sense that it is a hardware problem.

I'm assuming it's a registry problem, just don't know how to go about fixing it. The only other thing I can think of is the file corrupted when I downloaded it.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can calculate the checksum of the downloaded exe file using this free calculator.

http://www.irnis.net/soft/xcsc/

The CRC32 and MD5 Checksums for 3633 should be:

CRC32: 1F80DF4A
    MD5: 85CDFC4187D155FD8069F943B03BF7DA

Note that you only really need to calculate one or the other. The MD5 is better. You also don't really have to compare all the digits, I usually just look at the first 4 on either end; if only 1 bit is bad the number will change drastically.

5. poppies

Thanks, seekforever. File is good.

I may have problems with my partitions. Going to look at that tomorrow since I'm a newbie in that area.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello poppies and janboX,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem?

- What operating system is installed on your computer?

- What do you see exactly when you open Windows Task Manager (make a screen shot if possible)?

- Have you ever been able to run Acronis True Image 9.0 Home on this particular computer?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. janboX

janboX Registered Member

Hello Mister Popov,

here are the data you requested:

- I tried above mentioned builds 3625, and 3633 of Acronis True Image under two operating systems: Windows Me, and Windows 98 SE. Under Windows Me I never succeed to finish installation because of error in the sound driver module (S3wave.drv), and after that setup program reports error in USER.EXE module which happens at almost the very end of installation procedure. Under Windows 98 SE I get finnal screen which says that instalation has performed succesfully.

- screen shot of Windows Task Manager is enclosed

- this is my first atempt to install any piece of software made by Acronis on my computer, and

- when I click on shortcut of Acronis True Image at the Desktop of my computer it happens nothing even after 5 or more minutes waiting for program screen to open. Hard disk activity is detected, but after a while, ie. when loading of program is finished red indicator on computer case still lights but with slightly diminished brightnes than when drive is in full use. Simultaneosly built in LED on my Quantum HD is off indicating that loading proces is finished. And as you see from screen shot, in my case Windows Task Manager never says program not responding as in case of poppies's computer.

In addition, Bootable Rescue Media Builder part of TrueImage package opens normaly, but there is no one Acronis product on the left side of the screen to select and add it into compilation to make bootable media, and second in folder where program is installed (C:\Program Files\True Image Home I have noticed two files in nonextracted form - apix46.vx_ , and wnaspi46.dl_ ?.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

8. Acronis Support

Hello janboX,

Please create Windows System Information of both operating systems (Windows 98 and ME) as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected files to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

9. singularity2006

singularity2006 Registered Member

I do not know of this applies here, but for EasyRecovery from OnTrack, the program runs into the same behavior because it cannot read off drives in RAID configs (even if you are not running RAID, the application will still read the controller and crash out). Although I do not have this problem with True Image, I have a Corporate version of the application and do not know if the same goes for the version 9 home edition.

10. Acronis Support

Hello janboX and everyone interested,

Please disregard Kirill's last reply.

The point is that the issue with Acronis True Image (builds 3625 and higher) not launching under Windows 98/ME is already known and will be fixed in the next build of a particular product. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

If you want to temporarily obtain an older build of the respective Acronis True Image version which works fine under Windows 98/ME then please feel free to contact Acronis Support Team on this matter. Provide a brief description of the issue in your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, copy of invoice, scan copy of receipt, your order confirmation letter, etc.) and the link to this thread. One of our support engineers will certainly help you.

janboX, as for the problem with installing the software on Windows ME, we recommend that you wait for the next build to be released and then try to install the software once more. If the problem persists then please do the following:

- Launch the product installation file;

- Right-click on the "Install Acronis True Image" button and select "Extract";

- Select the path for extracting the component and click "Save";

- Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command:

msiexec /i msi-name /l*v log-name

Where msi-name is the name of the file you extracted in steps 2-3 and log-name is the path and the name to the log file you want to save the output to;

- Reproduce the problem and collect the log file created during the installation.

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

11. janboX

janboX Registered Member

I just prepared requested NFO files and come here for instructions how to send them when I saw this above reply. Anyway thank you for revealing us the truth, and yes I am interested to obtain version ie. build which works with operating systems I currently use (WinME and Win98SE). I hope these bugs wont reappear on Windows 2000 professional which I am planing to install very soon.

Thank you again, I very appreciate your efforts and interest to help all interested users for your products even if they are trial as in case of me.

12. Rick7

Rick7 Registered Member

Hello Alexey,

Does the current version v9,0,0,3666 have the Win9x not launching issue fixed yet?

How will we know when this Win9x issue is totally fixed?

Thank you.

13. Acronis Support

Hello Rick7,

Please note that the issue with Windows 98/ME has been already fixed in build 3666.

However, I would like to add that we have already released build 3677 of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please download and install it and see how the program works on your computer.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

14. Rick7

Rick7 Registered Member

Okay thank you for the infomation

15. Rick7

Rick7 Registered Member

Oh by the way Tatyana, I went to download the latest v9 and I see that at my Acronis website account the link won't show up there now, and when I enter in my v9 serial at Acronis it says its valid but for me to contact Customer Service to do it. You see I bought v9 and registered it with you, but then I did not like v9 with all the problems with it and wanted to use v8 and so Acronis temporarily replaced my copy of Acronis True Image 9.0 with version 8.0 and its serial, but now I want to reinstall the latest v9 again to give it another chance - again I have the serial I bought with it - but I want to change my registration back from the temporary v8 to v9 at my Acronis account now like I did when I bought in the first place.

How do I make that change at Acronis now?

I just want to be sure though that this latest v9.3677 you methioned has W98SE all fixed up now okay?

Thanks

16. Daryle

Daryle Registered Member

I just downloaded the Acronis True Image Home 9.0 (latest build released July 1, 2006) trial demo, and it won't respond. I just did a clean install of Windows Me on a HP Pavilion 6640C pc (AMD K6-2 500MHz 128MB sdram Sis Integrated SIS530 video driver Riptide audio driver 20 gig maxtor hard drive). It shows up under cntrl-alt-del, but never open. I get hars srive activity snd the busy icon briefly. I tried the repair and got timounter.dll error. I did the repair again, snd still it won't open. Bootable Rescue Media Builder opens but of courae there'a nothing to open with it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the same results. I thought I finally found the software that would let me create a complete restore of my pc in the event of hard drive failure and to save me the time of: formatting, reinstalling the os, audio, video, modem, and nic adapter drivers. I spent a lot of time getting everything to work under Windows Me and don't want to have to go thru that again. I have NovaBackup, but that doesn't allow you to make complete system restore cds under Me only on Win2000 and XP. Looks like great software and something I would purchase after the demo trial if I could just get the demoto work.

Best Regards and thanks in advance for any help regarding this matter.

17. Daryle

Daryle Registered Member

I just tried the Acronis True Image Trial and that too has problems. It installed okay. However, the create bootable rescue media gives me a cdrom error after inserting a cd-r and the 'Backup' I get as far as 'operation progress' screen and it just continues to say 'preparing' with no change in 'current operation progress' or 'total progress'. Argh...well I've wasted enough of my 4th of July.

18. Daryle

Daryle Registered Member

If it help my cd burner is the HP CD Writer+ 8000.

19. Acronis Support

Hello Rick7,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

If you want to be sure that the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0 works properly on your operating system, you can download and install Acronis True Image trial version and see how it works.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3677.

If you want to replace Acronis True Image 8.0 by Acronis True Image 9.0 once again, please submit a request for technical support. Provide the information to your request along with the link to this thread. Please also provide the information confirming your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.). We will help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

20. Acronis Support

Hello Daryle,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

There are several workarounds in case you cannot create Acronis True Image Bootable CD:

1. Please make sure that you are using a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW disc, as other types of media cannot be used to create a bootable rescue CD.

2. Boot into Safe mode (press F8 when Windows starts up and choose Safe mode to boot into) and then create Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

3. Update any third-party CD-writing software installed on the computer to the latest version available for free on its respective web-site.

4. Uninstall any CD burning software temporarily and then create Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

5. One more workaround:

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the program;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc;
    - Insert a disc and then click the OK button to close the tray automatically.

Could you please do the following?

- Download and run schedmgr.exe application;

- Issue the following commands:

service stop
    service uninstall

- Close schedmgr;

- Replace schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe files in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder with the files from this ZIP archive.

- Run schedmgr application once again;

- Issue the following commands:

service install
    service start

- Close schedmgr;

If the problem still persists then please do the following:

- Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);

- Run the following command in the folder the schedmgr.exe file was saved to:

schedmgr get report > schedreport.txt

- Collect schedreport.txt;

- Run Acronis Schedule Manager program (schedmgr.exe) once more;

- Issue the following command:

set logflags support

- Schedule backup creation once again;

- Wait until the scheduled backup will fail;

- Collect the log file schedul2.log that is placed in the \Program Files\Common
    Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder;

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

21. Rick7

Rick7 Registered Member

Okay Tatyana I filled out the form at Acronis. After I pressed the submit button and it went though, I realized I had forgotten to include a link to this thread like you had asked, but hope it will still be okay. I gave them my purchase receipt and all that stuff though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.