Are you using CacheSet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I saw this software from sysinternals.com and got curious about it. But I am wondering if this was really needed or what really it is. I read the instructions but still could not really figure it out. :blink: :cautious: o_O

Anyone of you there already tried or are using this software? :rolleyes: o_O How to use it...instructions in details..pls.

Attached Files:

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Nope, because windows nt OSs do a great job of cache management and IRC that cacheset settings are lost after a reboot.

O&O Software (the people who do O&O defrag) have a cache manager called Clevercache which does allow settings to be saved.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/ooclevercache/

But I am very wary of this product as their reasoning for "significant decrease in performance" is flawed.

"The more the file cache grows, the less memory is available to running applications. The result is a significant decrease in performance as requests for memory lead to the so-called "swapping" of memory. This occurs when unused memory segments are paged out to the hard disk's paging file. Because hard disk access is slow relative to Memory loss of performance is inevitable."

This is not true.
    Firstly memory pages will always take presidence over the file cache, IF they are in use. The more RAM an application needs, the smaller the cache will get if memory is not available, infact nt will reserve SOME ram (from cache AND pages) for sudden increase in memory demands.

How can "unused memory segements", which I assume they mean pages reduce performance if they are not in use, swapping to a hdd will not slow a multitasking OS down but any significant amount, remember they said "unused" :|

I will dig out my links to windows memory management.

Anyway, I hope this will explain, why there is really no reason to play with cache settings in windows nt based OSs.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

So in other words; this kind of software is useless, or even dangerous to your computers performance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.