How fragmented is my partition after restoring an image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Omicron, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omicron

Omicron Registered Member

If I restore an image, how fragmented is my harddisk. Are all new files written sequentially, so the fragmentation is 0%, or does TI exactly restore my HD files in that order in which they were before?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Omicron,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 9.0 does not restore files to the absolutely same sectors they were residing when the image has been created. Therefore your hard drive might become slightly fragmented after the image is restored.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

If sectors are not restored to the same place, why would a restore have ANY fragmentation, other than that which might be caused by placement of particular "system" files?

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Sorry, I don't get your post. If sectors are *not* restored to the same place (and assuming there was no fragmentation originally), isn't it pretty obvious that there will be fragmentation after the restore ?

5. Howard Kaikow

If the drive had been fragmented, and sectors are restored to the same place, the restored drive would also be fragmented.

If the drive had NOT been fragmented and sectors are restored to the same places, the drive would remain unfragmented.

If the drive had NOT been fragmented and sectors are restored to the same places, the drive would remain unfragmented.

If the drive had been fragmented, and sectors are restored to different places, the restored drive wvould be fragmented, or not, depending on how smart was the restore.

6. Howard Kaikow

Let's see if I can say this politely, there's no reasonable restore algorithm that will increase fragmentation.

If the critters are placed back in the same sectors as before, then fragmentation will not change.

If the critters are placed in different sectors, only a brain-dead algorithm would not reduce fragmentation.

Anytime one restores an entire drive, fragmentation sure better decrease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.