Do you consider yourself as a pc expert, in between or just a beginner?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sweater, Dec 2, 2005.

?

Are you a pc expert, in between or just a beginner?

1. PC techno geek expert

44 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. In between, knows pc but still learning securities issues

106 vote(s)
    62.7%
  3. Beginner, or ordinary surfer

25 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am pretty much curious how many of our members in this forum are really an “overall” expert techno geek, and also how many are in-between (means 50/50- one that are technically knowledgeable or computer science graduate but still learning more things about privacy and security issues), and how many are still a beginners or just an ordinary surfers learning lots of things like me. ;)

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Geesh....even after all these many years on the net discovering some items I can't even spell I can say unequivocally without a doubt I have no clue today given the fact I have now read from someone in the know that many of the programs I use are Rootkits :rolleyes: :eek: :blink:

3. controler

controler Guest

I think he ment any program that touches the kernel is a rootkit by definition, no matter if it hides it's files or not.

4. New Nod User

New Nod User Guest

I consider myself a beginner,I can do the basics but when it comes to allot of things i see and read on this forum I AM LOST.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm an application analyst and believe it or not, I never studied anything about computers.
    All what I know about pc and mainframes is based on reading and hearing.
    I don't need to know anything about computers to do my job, but I know almost everything about an application, much more than any programmer of that application will ever know.
    The problems, I need to solve are totally different from the (technical) problems of a programmer.
    So I'm a newbie in this forum and I consider this as an advantage.

I would never call myself an expert in anything, because I still learn something new every day.
    Expert is just a word, but I admit, it's an impressive title. :)

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

many of my friends and my parents friends see me as an "IT pro" but theres a lot i dont know about computers themselves and security. im always learning new things and troubleshooting peoples computers as well as my own.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    I'm just trying to fit into my corner of the world. Not an expert, of course. The strong side of mine concerning computer comes from programming algorithms and methods for scientific experiments. My friend think I'm obsessed with security, but I disagree... :)
    Mrk

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

2º choice...

I'm always learning, and I'm almost a computer engineer...

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have had two computer shops for over a decade+ and have worked on thousands of PC's and related security issues and I am still learning and hope that I never quit learning because the day I quit learning is the day I die :doubt:

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Just read my signature. The answer is there. ;)

11. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Guest

No one here is a pc expert from what I can see, myself included. But some here are very knowledgeable with computer security.

And Bigc, sorry to disappoint you, but you won't stop learning even after you physically expire. But some get a vacation at least. Let's just hope yours is not a very hot one. ;)

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I would hazard a guess that there may be a handful of genuine experts that frequent the site. Like you, I certainly would also not place myself in that class.

HBlue

13. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

ex·pert
    : one with the special skill or knowledge representing mastery of a particular subject
    [Webster On-line]
    --------------------------------------

Any Windows experts around? (not me)

In "Windows 95 Secrets" Brian Livingston and Davis Straub made the statement that after interviews with many MS developers/programmers, they concluded that Windows was too complex for any one person to have mastered all of it.

-rich

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  14. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow Guest

I used to think I *wasn't* an expert.

15. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow Guest

Give me an example.

16. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Voted for me Beginner, because no knownledge with computer hardware. (Graphic Cards, Sound Cards and such bull)

17. ErikAlbert

I'm not sure what you mean with an example, but I guess an example of an application.
    I worked once for a Container Repair company. So I had to learn everything about containers from the moment the container entered the repair company until the container left the repair company.
    The total administration, the estimates, the revised estimates, the complicated tariffs, the invoicing, the container movements, the container components of each type of container, the repair instructions, statistics, ... and all that in FULL DETAIL.

If you want to put such an application on computer, I can assure you that it requires alot of preparation, before you can even start the programming and I'm talking about MANY programs.
    I hope you don't want any details, because that's a huge file. :)

18. whodoiknow

whodoiknow Guest

It sounds to me what you mean is that they try to make a program that is useful to you. Since you work in the container business and use the stuff, obviously they have to find out what you need , and they hopefully code it up to your specs.

But that doesn't mean you know everything about the application, more than the programmer knows. You only know what you want to have, that's different.

19. ErikAlbert

Do you really think, that a programmer knows what I know after my analysis. Forget it.
    Programmers are instructed by me, otherwise they wouldn't even know where to start. These programmers don't know anything about containers, they just follow my written instructions.
    I'm not in the container business either, my boss tells me where to go and to work.

20. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Removed personal swipe.

Ladies and Gentlemen, remain on Topic and leave the personal swipes out of it.

Blackspear.

21. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

so is this poll for computer hardware, security, or both? either way, my answer is the same.

22. Notok

Notok Registered Member

My father is a good example here, I think. He's been a programmer for decades, and is very good at what he does.. at very "senior" level. He's reaching retirement age now (although he has no plans to retire, that I can see), but now that he's working on his own, he's getting into areas that he had never even concieved of before.. down to designing and programming his own chips. So even though he was very very good at some very complex programming in the past, he is like a kid again, learning a whole new world. Fact is that it just never ends.. as soon as you get a good grasp on the way things are now, there will be some new hardware tomorrow that throws everything for a loop.

Expert is really a very relative term, I believe, and most of the real experts will still recognize that there is still a lot to learn. They can become proficient enough in their own field to, perhaps, become a functional "expert" in that field.. but I don't think that what we really think of when we use the term "expert" really even exists.

23. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I'm number #2 as well. I know how to do most things I need to and if not, I'm smart enough to ask.

Being a member here has pushed my security knowledge up too.

24. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Well that depends...

If I've not been drinking, I'm #2 on the list.
    A 6 pack.. Probably between #1 & #2.
    10 or more: I become "mr. know-it-all" :ninja:

25. dadkins

dadkins Registered Member

#2 I doubt that I will ever become an expert on anything computer related(stuff changes faster than I can keep up!).

But I'm not afraid to ask when I need help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.