Total Noob: MBR issue

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Hahaiah, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hahaiah

Hahaiah Registered Member

I had a problem using Drivecrypt and a GINA replacement. Which rewrote the MBR to install it's own GINA. Restoring is done through the program or nec through FDISK/ FIXMBR.

My problem was upon replacing with the supposed original, I went to use True Image and had massive instability with tons of weird windows errors after the restore. I tested known good images. So it absolutely had something to do with the MBR.

Since true image 'images' everything except the MBR (assumption) would disk director allow me to 'backup' the MBR the way True Image does the drive ?

As much as I enjoy spending 30 or so hours setting up complete systems, it would be nice to have safety net.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Hahaiah,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Management Software.

Acronis Disk Director Suite doesn't have an option to save the MBR. However if you create an image of the whole disk drive (not a separate partition) using Acronis True Image then the MBR is saved in it as well.

We have some tools for fixing MBR which may help you in some cases:

1. Using floppy drive. Please insert a diskette into the floppy drive and run the file available by the link below:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/mbrautowrite_en.exe

Once the floppy is written, boot the computer from it and confirm that you want to fix the master boot record.

You do NOT need to copy this file to diskette. Just launch it from hard disk (or any media) with the diskette inserted.

2. Using CD. Please use the following ISO image to create a special CD:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/mbrautowrite_en.iso

Once the CD is written, boot the computer from it and confirm that you want to fix the master boot record.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.