Is CD-RW ok for bootable rescue disc ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thebigdintx, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

With the new version 9.0 being released, and all the updates for both my old version 8.0 and this new version, I sure am going through a lot of CD-R discs making new bootable rescue CD-R's with each update, not to mention if I want to put my hard drive's image onto discs also......
    Can I use CD-RW's instead of CD-R's to make a bootable rescue disc,
    and to image my hard drive over and over again? I think I can, but do I have to format the discs first or something before using them over? I don't have any special cd burning software (that I am aware of)....just whatever came with windows xp sp2 on this dell dimension 3000 with my sony cd burner in it. (I know an external hard drive would be easier for storing my disc image to, but I really don't want to spend the money on one).

2. mangray

mangray Registered Member

Hi

Yes, I works only with CD-RWs,
    its worsks fine!

nice day
    mangray

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello thebigdintx,

As mangray said, CD+/-RWs should work fine. Just make sure they are blank (erased) and remember NOT to preformat them via your UDF packet writing software.

Regards

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

Keep in mind that RW discs are considerably less reliable.

5. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I would add, they are much more unreliable than 'considerable'. Of course I can understand why, with v.9 coming with a new build every other day, you would use up a lot of CDRs. Some of my recovery disks came up with errors using Nero's 'disk quality check' feature...think it's from the program using the burner's fastest burn speed, and no way to control how fast it burns the recovery disk. Of course on a CDRW I would presume it has some default setting. Wish they would just post a file of the recovery disks contents and we could burn an bootable ISO from it at whatever speed we chose with our own burner program.

Back to the latest of v8 for me...will sit on the sidelines until about build #9.00.23999 comes out in about two weeks. :)

...Allen

6. thebigdintx

I just burned a rescue cd onto a cd-rw. Now I have a question about this:
    When you say make sure they are blank....how do I do that (how do I erase the stuff that's already on them)? I only have the windows cd burning software I think.

7. Menorcaman

Put it down to good luck if you like but I've been burning TI recue CDs to CD+/-RW disks since Version 6.0 and have never ever had a problem. However, I don't use Roxio burning software (Drag-to-Disk and TI are poor bedfellows!!), I've also disabled Windows XP's built in CD recording feature and I only use Verbatim or TDK media.

Regards

8. thebigdintx

Ok, I have a bootable rescue cd made on a CD-RW. If I want to put the next build onto this same CD-RW, how do I erase what is already on the disc?

9. Menorcaman

Well, hopefully you are using Windows XP. In which case, ensure Windows XP's built-in CD recording feature is enabled (open Windows Explorer, right click on your CD/DVD recorder and select "Properties". Click on the "Recording" tab and ensure the "Enable CD recording on this drive" checkbox is ticked).

Once Windows CD recording is enabled then with the CD+/-RW disk in your recorder, open Windows Explorer again, right click on the CD/DVD recorder and select "Erase this CD-RW".

Regards

10. thebigdintx

thanks, that was the info i needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.