Do we need more than free Process guard if we do not indulge in high risk behaviour?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Palombaro, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Re: Do we need more than free Process guard if we do not indulge in high risk behavio

Rich

Hi SpikeyB,

The issue that the paper is discussing is how processes can be initiated and doing work without the user ever knowing it. ProcessGuard warns of these occurrences: e.g. attempter dll injection, global hook acquisition, rootkit installation, etc. This is the part of the paper that discusses these issues.

Rich

2. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Thanks richrf.

I think that explains how PG will block things if you allow a program to run. It's not clear whether the nasties have to execute first, e.g. can program X call a function on another to load a dll or can program x take memory space without program x executing? I don't know the answer but I wish I did.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Re: Do we need more than free Process guard if we do not indulge in high risk behavio

ProcessGuard, together with other security products and/or techniques, seeks to cut off these tunnels at key junctures or "choke points" that are known to be exploited by malicious software. PG in particularly addresses some very important ones including the initial execution, installation of drivers and services, physical memory access . etc, which can cause havoc on a machine. TO what extent they are important to any individual's environment lies in the way an individual uses a system.

If new programs are not installed, or are only installed from trusted sources (assuming one trusts MS), then the free version may be all that is needed. In my own experiences, I have been pretty surprised by what some vendors are doing, and am glad that I was notified that the company was trying to isntall a driver/service, which I was able to stop. It is quite possible to avoid all of this stuff, by minimizing ones use of the Internet, and ultimately abstinence may be the best approach - from a security and life perspective. ;)

Cya,
    Rich

4. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

The thread is providing lots of useful info. It does reveal one problem though , i.e. to run the full version of Process Guard seems, to me at least, to require the user to make decisions which presuppose a relatively high level of knowledge on the part of the user. Most users , me included, just do not have this knowledge, neither do they have the time or inclination to acquire it.
    I know that much of the threads in Wilders are in fact conversations between the expert or experienced and maybe this gives the impression that the full PG is more complex than it is . Is the average user really able to use it on the basis of 'look and click' or is the apparent complexity actually the case?

(I also know that when an 'innocent' like me asks questions in the forum they are answered generously and clearly)

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I know I've talked a bit about PG not being appropriate for all users, but I mainly reffer to the multitudes of users that have very little computer skills that are in the greatest need of security and come here when things get bad. It's all pretty subjective, really.. are you comfortable with the file system? That is, if you lost a shortcut to a program in the start menu, would you know how to go in through "My Computer" and start the program manually? More appropriately, if your antivirus detects something as a trojan, are you comfortable differentiating between an actual detection and a false positive? If you can manage that, then you might give PG a try, just read through the help file and you should be just fine. :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  6. Hard_Warrior

Hard_Warrior Registered Member

I felt very much like this when I initially installed PG. But I quickly found out that whoever writes helpfiles at DCS has a REAL touch for it. In the course of about 45-minutes I was able to familiarize myself with the ins and outs of PG, and was able to knowingly configure it for my circumstances. Don't worry, if I can master it you can too. ;)

7. SpikeyB

Does anyone know the answer to this?

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Without executing a trojan can't do anything. The only pure code attack seen is the SQL Slammer worm which was a small exploit of SQL servers. PG deals with executables, since thats where most threats are. Nearly all threats...

And no, there is NO way to execute a file without being hooked by PG and stopped from running. Learn the system with PG in a clean state then protect it and it will stay clean !

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

A very important point. ;)

10. SpikeyB

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.