Do things in life happen for a reason?.

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by AnthonyG, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, was just wondering as i have been having some major bad run of events receintly and feeling very depressed so i was wondering if people on the forum think things or events alongside bad things happen for some sort of reason. And ultimately things will turn out good in the end. Or better description, will turn out how you belive things should in the end. Possibly like string theory.

Im not intending this to be a religious question. As if for one I watched star wars episode III yesterday which started me off thinking this route. And as that is not a religious film so it is possible for this to not get religious. Plus like i say i remember reading about (i belive it was) string theory of time that life in the universe is predestined to follow that string and it cant be altered off that course.

Thanks and sorry if its a stupid question.
    Anthony

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Anthony,

I think we are here in this life to learn, and "pain" is the motivator to change (hence we learn), and "joy" is the reward. And as one cycle ends a new one begins - as the spiral of evolution moves us all along individually and together.

Rich

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I believe everything happens for a reason. I have had my share of heartache and I've always been able to look back at those moments and realize why they happened and to keep looking forward.

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Anthony,

If your assuming the string theory to be relevant to our lives and actions and that every thing we do is predetermined before-hand... I don't really see the point in pondering over it one way or another......if that's the case, we might just as well stop worrying about anything and everything and just kind of 'STRING' along........

Cochise.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Anthony,

I'll keep you in my thoughts as you struggle with that downward direction and hope thru these questions you can make an upward turn. Yes....life can be a melted box of chocalate sometimes....but we have to find a way to harden it again.

Keep the questions coming....with or without an answer we learn.

6. Fire-Ant

Fire-Ant Registered Member

Hey !
    Don't get too depressed Anthony !
    (but the news in London doesn't cheer up)
    remember:
    questions are never stupid,
    it's those that are afraid asking questions, that stay stupid ;)

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Whether they happen for a reason or not I couldn't say, but I firmly believe that when these things happen you have to make the best of it and come away with something postive, otherwise it's all for naught. The past few years here have been the worst.. friends and family dying, many torrid circumstances that I won't go into (crime, health, finances, you name it), and most recently my gf's surgeries for cancer. In the end, however, we have a strengthened resolved, new focus and determination, and far less willingness to let illusory barriers stand in the way. Sometimes it takes us the worst case scenario to build up to these kinds of things, but hopefully we can learn from these events and not wait until the next tradegy (which will happen.. sooner or later, loved ones will die, and things will go wrong, it wouldn't be life otherwise) to learn the lessons that we tend to take for granted otherwise.

Sometimes these things are within our control, and sometimes not. The fact is that I've given up on trying to control things that I have no way of controlling (directly or indirectly), and find myself much better at dealing with these things as they come as a result.

Never give up, and take care.
    -Notok

</cliche> :D

8. dog

dog Guest

Smile Anthony :) ... Don't WoRrY Be HaPpY :D

It's all about the yin and yang ... without one there isn't the other. ~Balance and Perspective~ ... If you didn't experience sorrow and pain would you know what happiness and joy are? Could you ever really appreciate either one then?

But don't worry as sure as there is a down, there is an up. The pendulum will alway swing the other way.

As for getting out of the dumps ... just look up toward the sky on a clear night, look as far and as deep as you can, then flip your perspective and imagine the view back toward Earth from that farthest point ... boy aren't we small in the vastness of space?

HTH ... and take care,

Steve

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't think things are predestined but I do believe we are genetically predisposed to learn from lifes experiences so that we can be stronger and strive to improve what we are experiencing at any given time.

11. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Re: Do things in life happen for a reason?

FYI - George Lucas incorporated Taoist philosophy into the Star Wars movies. The Force = the Tao. And Fritjof Capra's The Tao of Physics is a good read on the correlations between physics and metaphysics. A bit like your ideas on string theory. :)

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If it ever comes to a point where you can not see the future for how dark your world currently seems, then take one day at a time, just a single day, and push yourself to make it through that particular day to get to that night. When the night arrives there will be eight hours when you do not have to think about anything, and the sun will rise tomorrow (except if you are in England during their uhhh summer :rolleyes: ;) :D )

When the next day arrives, and it will arrive, then you take that day, and push your self through that day, repeating the above. If at all possible try to talk to people, if you don’t feel like doing this, make yourself get out into the sunlight (sorry Englanders, you might have to travel to Australia to do this ;) :D ), sunlight does wonders for the body, I’m not talking suntaning (translation for the British amongst us: a slight browning of the skin :D ), I’m talking the amount of light getting through your eyes into your brain, secondary to this is the warmth…

If the above lasts for more than two weeks, please seek medical assistance, and do not be embarrassed to do this, there are times when we all need the help of others, and for depression it is important to do this.

A lasting depression can feel like a bottomless pit, however it is only a time, a single moment in ones life, sometimes you will have a few of these moments, or may even have many throughout your life. Push through each day, there will be another that follows it, and remember you are important to someone, being on this earth you will touch others, and you may never know it. Still there will be others that it would devastate and crush their spirit if you did something silly in this single moment in time.

Hold fast, take one day at a time, recognise the signs of when you feel how you feel, understand that it will NOT last, understand you will pull through, understand you mean something to someone.

Blackspear ~ one who travels/has travelled this path, and continues to fight the good fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.