ERUNT and NTREGOPT

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Antarctica, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I have been using ERUNT for a while and really like this program to
    backup my registry.

What about NTREGOPT? Is it worthwile to optimize the registry
    and is it safe to use it?

Thanks

2. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    Yes. I'm using it. very safe. it just optimize and doesnt defrag though. if you want a registry defrager here
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html
    very good and safe too

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Antartica, I use this program, too, and I'm happy with it. There is no problem with it if you are always logged in as adminstrator. But since you are certainly a security-aware computer user I'm sure you created a user account (with restricted rights) which you use for surfing and working in order to prevent most malware spreading out on your computer, didn't you? ;)

Note that in this case there is an application problem with ERUNT: It is only possible to backup the open registry files NTUSER.DAT and USRCLASS.DAT for the user currently logged in (besides DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY and SYSTEM). If you want to have a complete registry backup you will have to log into your admin account, switch to your user account via FUS (in order to open NTUSER.DAT and USRCLASS.DAT for that account), switch back to your admin account and start ERUNT. This is the only way to have a complete registry backup if more than one account exists. (This is only necessary for the registry backup, NOT for the recovery of the registry via ERUNT!)

Lars Hederer, the ERUNT programmer, confirmed this to me via email. I asked him why he hadn't described this procedure in the ERUNT guide. His answer: It's because most Windows users only use their default admin account anyhow, and he didn't want to confuse ERUNT users more the necessary ...
    Well, no comment about this from my side, but every ERUNT user should be aware of this problem.

Yes, it's worhwhile IMHO and I haven't had a problem so far.

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Thanks to both of you for your input. :)

tlu,
    Yes, I did have a user account with restricted rights. So thanks for the warning. I didn't know about this application problem with ERUNT. But purely by luck, I always save my registry when I am on administrator account. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.