Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dysthymia, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Re: Wish-list thread

OK Now some really nice things wich schould be added!!

- feature has been already requested.
    - Ability to activate restore from windows , system automatic reboot restore and come back in system so that you dont have to be local to do a restore when system is still active!
    - Ability to take over boot process and access the console by RDP so you really never have to be local!!
    - ability to mount images from BOOTCD and restore files from it. This feature is already added to Symantec Livestate Recovery SO ACRONIS MUST GET THIS TO KEEP UP!! - feature has been already requested
    - A complete list of possible command from the boot F11 option if the system may not boot from the CD of recovery console!
    - Ability to mount the TAPE image and restoring files from it. This way it would almost make other backup software obsolete. Except for certain agent dat backup software has like for example "Exchange"

======
    Disk director wishlist

- dynamic disk resizing support. - feature has been already requested

- ability so resize every partition without rebooting. - feature has been already requested

==== p.s

why not merge disk director and True image to Image director ;-) - feature has been already requested

eeeuhmmm that would be it!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005
  2. Peter S.

Peter S. Registered Member

Hello,

just three wishes, I think already mentioned:

1. feature has been already requested.
    2. A possibilitiy to activate the Acronis loader and reboot with one klick without that secure zone stuff. Like it does when restoring the active system partition.
    (Or can someone tell me, what commandline is written to the boot.ini(?) to to so? o_O ;))
    3. SATA support - feature was implemented

Peter S.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
  3. Othmar

Othmar Guest

Hi all,

new TI8 user here.

So, it took me an hour or so to fight myself through this thread, in order to find out what I will NOT get with the new software I just bought, huh?

116 postings as of now, that means to me that there is a whole crowd of serious, enthusiastic guys & gals out there who are willing to contribute, who are spending their time to let the developers know what can make TI even better.

Though, reading through all those wishes, my frustration grew gradually because it became more and more evident to me that, with few exceptions, one important aspect of 'communication' is missing: FEEDBACK! Acronis, get back to the contributors, tell'em what you're going to do with their inputs!

Being a dumb notebook user who is just concerned about having a working backup should my hardware die, some of those suggestions like bootable image DVDs, reduced writing speed etc sound reasonable to me while others I simply do not have enough experience to understand.

So my personal wish list is as follows:

* I want to see a table showing all those existing requests as 1 line entries
    * give me the option to 'vote for', say, up to 5 of those entries
    * show the number of supporters for each individual entry
    * show the development dept's initial estimate re feasibility
    * show the development dept's actual status indication
    * when it's done, mark it 'done'!

That list would - at least for me - take away that 'black hole' type of impression I must admit I have right now, after having read that thread. As a paying customer, it would make me confident to know what is in the mill, and it would even make me more confident to see what has been achieved already, kicked off by some of those inputs.

cheers - Othmar

4. Novich

Novich Registered Member

1. 1. Because very often image corrupt because memory is bad, may be add to loader memtest-86 http://www.memtest86.com/ ( this is not test memory of 1986 year)?
    Sometimes need simple disk operations, may be be add it to TI menu?
    2. Create partition, (for example when I need to create 1st free partition and restore acronis image to 2nd partition), delete partition, set active or clear active bit to partition - all without create/restore operation?
    3. Need this command (for expert) - clear Windows GUID from partition. (GUID - Globally Unique Identifiers), place in MBR (or pseudo mbr - if partiotion is logical) hex from 1B8 to 1BB byte. Windows 2000/xp connect partition HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.
    If I do copy of my HDD and don't disconnst it them, System can message to me after start:
    "Your system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q249321

this problem can resolution some procedure and one - clear guid (or clear all mounted device from HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices)

5. Impel GD

Impel GD Registered Member

Do other imaging apps get round this somehow by including the MBR?

6. blueznl

blueznl Registered Member

oh... i'd better rethink that wish... it's already there in a separate product...

7. Sascha.Koerber

Sascha.Koerber Registered Member

The Iomega REV Drive _is_ already supported. We use it here at work. We are using newest available build (796) and i believe it was already supported in builds before that.

8. blueznl

blueznl Registered Member

make 'disable logging' also disable the tvdebug.log file!

9. Jbmoar

Jbmoar Registered Member

My Wish List For Next Version Of [MOVE][/MOVE] Acronis True Image:
    • feature has been already requested.
    • Give True Image ability to re-boot Directly From true Image By Pressing One button,Maybe A Button called Re-Boot TI To Dos so you don't have to go through the process of selecting and choosing everything,this is only needed for the restore procedure.
    • Give TI Ability to delete oldest # Of Incremental Backup Images Automatically When Reaches A Set Number setup in the program, simular to secure zone except that you see the images that will be deleted.
    • Fix A Problem when TI Does incremental Backups,If you recently defragmented your drive TI Seems to create A File simular to the same size as A Full image,this only happens if you defragment before doing the incremental backup,If this could be fixed so the incremental backups create A Backup of only what has changed.
    • Give TI Ability to see exactly what files are been backed up and the speed been processed, otherwise A More detailed Backup interface.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2005
  10. ABC123

ABC123 Guest

11. lubens

lubens Guest

I would like to see Acronis construct a USB DOS driver so I can access my external hard drive at the DOS level. Shouldn't be too hard since Acronis already as USB access available on their bootable True Image and Privacy Suite disks.

12. boulmiche

boulmiche Registered Member

Right LUbens...

13. whabee

whabee Guest

I am a linux user and bought true image as a means to back up my home linux system. It works perfect on ext2, ext3 and reiserFS (3.6) but saddly does not work with reiser4 so my only wish for true image is REISER4 support.

14. Yellow-Cab-Driver

Yellow-Cab-Driver Registered Member

My wish is, that TrueImage gets capable of handling totally encrypted hard disks, e.g. with a special function. Perhaps user could state in the GUI: "True Image, this HD is totally encrypted, don't bother with the structure, just make a full image of the disk sector-by-sector."

That way, I could use TI with my totally encrypted notebook.
    This could be usefull for people using e.g. PGP Whole Disk on-the-fly encryption for higher security "on the road".
    It is clear to me, that in this case, incremental backups surely were not possible. But this wouldn't matter for me.
    So: Please!!! :D

15. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Off-topic post removed. Please note, the Wish-list thread is intended for suggestion of new features for Acronis True Image. It is not intended for raising technical issues, bug-reports, or suggestions of other products.

16. Trinoc

Trinoc Guest

It's been suggested that I post these ideas here, even though some of them have already been posted in a different thread - so here is my wish list:-

1) An option - preferably the default option - to restore a partition with exactly the same structure and contents as when it was saved (except for unused sectors - but see item 2). Optimising of the partition structure, modifying boot sectors in any way (including the volume serial number), or modifying files believed to belong to boot managers, should only be done if the user has explicitly requested it.

2) An option to treat a partition as "unknown format", even if it is recognised, so that all sectors are saved, whether occupied or not.

3) Skipping saving of the contents of files with known names (e.g. "pagefile,.sys") should also be an option, with the default option as saving all files. Partitions could easily contain users' files called, say, "pagefile.sys" without necessarily being Windows page files.

4) Improved compression algorithms. The current ones are very slow compared to zip, Drive Image, etc.

5) Support for newer Linux file systems such as XFS and JFS. - feature was implemented in Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows
    If Item (1) is accepted, then all that needs to be known about any file system structure is a way to identify which sectors are occupied. Other details about the structure, which might be needed for "optimisation" would not be needed for a simple backup/restore.

6) Ability to mount and access files from a saved ReiserFS partition in Windows. At the moment it is possible to mount a ReiserFS backup, but Windows treats it as unformatted. The same comment applies to XFS/JFS/etc., if these become supported.

That's all I can think of for now.

17. Bob22

Bob22 Registered Member

I have been a firm believer in backing up and have been since the good old DOS days. Backups have saved me untold hours over the years. I only recently found True Image when looking for a backup solution for my new desktop. I have ended up restoring my new system 3 or 4 times and True Image has worked like a dream. The flexibility of being able to restore a single file or the entire system is especially nice. And the speed of both backup and restore is phenomenal. Here my entry for the wish-list:

I would like, at a minimum, to be able to specify the intended location of the image for an “At shutdown” backup. But what I would really like would be to have the backups at shutdown cycle through a series of folders, sending the image to folder A today, folder B tomorrow, folder C the next day and so on. Once it got to folder F (or some such “last folder”) it would start the cycle over again.

18. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I'd like to see a Brazilian translation for True Image.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

19. Massimo

Massimo Registered Member

Italian Translation for acronis true image is possible? - feature was implemented

Thanks the Italians wait for the version.

20. ashleyp

ashleyp Registered Member

I would like to see iSCSI support within the Trueimage bootable rescue media. I understand this will be introduced sometime by the end of the year. Perhaps if other users would like this capability it will be pushed up the agenda.

21. Chemosh

Chemosh Registered Member

Better Linux integration, specifically for Novell/SuSE and Red Hat business offerings.

- ZenWorks integration.

- 64 bit Win2003 Server support.- feature has been already requested

- feature was implemented

- Postgre support.

- File rolling, more granular image file management. - feature was implemented

- Ability to pull generic images, without needing to run the MS tool for nulling SID's first (can't recall what it's called off the top of my head).

- Prolly a lot more things, just can't think of them at the moment.

All things considered though, it's a nice bit of software. Easy to use, and fast.

22. Chemosh

Chemosh Registered Member

Oh yeah, and I would like an enterprise remote agent for linux. Would make for less workarounds in heterogenous networks. - feature has been already requested

Most everything else I was thinking about has been asked for already, except for the ability to recover images from SAN. iSCSI was mentioned above, but I am wondering about full FC SAN architectures, which are far more common.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  23. iis1

iis1 Registered Member

Restore Ehancments

When you choose to restore from an acronis backup, add an option to delete all partitions and create a new partition with the maximum space on the drive. Ghost has been doing this for years. An ya I know that Acronis has a utility for partition changes. I use it.

24. jalbers

jalbers Registered Member

How about a feature that would be able to convert "Drive Image" image files over to Acronis format. I have some images that I made using Drive Image that are good, but I want to throw away my Drive Image software.

25. Nelson

Nelson Registered Member

I wish that the acronis true image 8 build 826 clone Hds that have a fedora core 3 linux instaled.

:mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.